Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lighten Up--Redux

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen

So awhile back I took upon a new path to lighten up my playing; to be like Victor. Lighter strings, lighter touch. The lighter touch has worked out well. I crank the amp, and touch them light. Finger tips don't hurt for the last set. The catch is that since I don't have a limiter in the signal chain, if I hit one note a little too hard during the first tune I get told that I'm too loud and turn that damn thing down for Christ's sake. The compressor on the Ashdown Superfly doesn't have a meter on it and there's a three second delay from when you adjust to when the change happens, so it's tough to adjust on the fly (Ha! Get it?), which is when you need to adjust it. Adjusting it at home just doesn't work.

But light strings? Nope. Back the fatties. .108 on the E string for the GHS Brite Flats; similar fat on the flatwound chromes. Higher pitched strings don't seem to matter to me, but the E can't be wimpy in gauge.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I am trying to lighten up my touch too, especially after a conversation with the bassist for my band members's other band. He has a chronic elbow infection which he attributes to his digging in too hard. Shame 'cos he is one talented cat.

But I would never switch to a lighter gauge. If anything, I would go heavier if I wanted to play lighter (which is what I am slowly doing). Good to hear it works for you, I need to learn to let the amp do more of the work.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

i find that i get a fatter sound w/ a light touch, especially relating to the thinner g string. i've been doing since the early 2000's. when i dig in hard i get a more toney sound so, going back and forth as needed increases what you can get out of your axe.
B

Archived