Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dying Hard Drive advise needed! Please help!

Guys, My bios is telling me on boot up that my C drive is dying. So i was gonna go out and get a new 160 gig. Here is the deal..... I have been having some odd problems with nuendo, so i was wanting to do a FRESH install of XP and all the programs. Microsoft Tech support is deplorable, so i need a quick answer and i am sure someone else had crossed this bridge. Once i have done the phone registration of XP Pro, can i install it on another hard disk with out much of a problem? I can easily clone my current drive with Ghost, but it also will bring the problems i am having. How would you do it? Plus i dont have a modem on this computer so, getting the updates and patches from MS is gonna be a bitch too. Guess i am gonna have to get a modem, hu? Are any of you guys using a modem on your system? Thanks for any advise, Dennis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ghost will transplant all odd problems you're having with Nuendo or any program for that matter, to the new disk. It will not carry over the bad sector problem it sounds like you're having. Your data will be safe, but your OS and apps will still act funky. I have to ask you, since this PC has no network connection, why update Windows? 99.9% of the patches are security hole fixes. Make sure your device drivers are up to date and forget the rest unless you have a specific need to patch. Updates rarely equate an performance increase. My usual procedure whenever I build a new PC, is after I install the OS and verify the machine is 100% stable, I image at that point. Then, if ever any app is blue screening me or a device driver craps out, I can easily baseline the PC with the image I created. Further, all my user settings, documents, even internet favorites are kept on another drive. So I know if I reimage my machine, I'll never lose any of my files. Good luck.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I just put an XP Pro system together, and I use a 56k/V.92 $10.00 modem. Works just fine. You can do a fresh install, but I've never transferred XP from one system to another. What you might do is buy a new HDD, install it in your current system, partition it, transfer what you want to keep into the second (or higher) partition, and then do a clean install of XP into your first partition. (only a small portion of XP has to reside in the primary partition, but I don't trust Microsoft, so I make sure that the whole thing will fit into the primary partition, just in case I have to wipe the OS) You'll get to keep your documents, but you'll have to re-install your registered programs. Good luck. I hope this helps.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I would like to just do a clean install of XP Pro. I only use a single partition. I have registed XP once, so if i put it FRESH on a new HDD i wonder what kind of grief Bill Gates and company are gonna give me...if any. I wonder if i have like 3 installs available then pay additional fees for more installs...i wonder. Most of the Nuendo stuff says get the SP 1, that is the reason for going to their site and downloading the patches. Your saying dont do that? All the Nuendo geeks on the forum (me included in that geek catagory) say do the patch update. What say ye? Thanks for all the advise, Dennis

Yes, you can transfer XP to another hard drive... If you ghost it, it'll prompt you to re-activate Windows since it'll think it's in a different computer. I had to reactivate mine when I added a new video card. The activation code is dependant upon the hardware in your machine. Change hardware and you change the code. If it forces you to call MS to activate (and it might), just tell them that you have a new hard drive and have formatted the old one (or that it's no longer usable). Their main concern here is that you're not giving away copies of Windows. It sucks, but that's what you have to do. Hope this helps.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Dennis, MS will not charge you to activate Windows. After 3 (I think it's 3) internet activations, you are required to call each time instead. Since you're on a non-connected PC, you'll be calling for activation anyway and shouldn't see a difference.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Definitely do the clean install. I agree that updates shouldn't be too much to worry about. You can always download the updates and burn them to a cd if you have access to a computer with a burner and internet access.

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Is there a FIX that will kill that XP activation thing? Sombody somewhere must have figued out how to defeat it. I have a valid legal copy, but I want to use it on two machines.[/b][/quote]If you're concerned about legality, then you need to (according to the Windoze user agreement) buy a second license for the second machine. If you just want to circumvent the whole activation process altogether, then you'd better have a fast connection - because there are corporate (read: no activation required) ISOs out there, but they take a long time to d/l. Personally, I just said to hell with Bill and his stinking activations and stayed put on Win2K.

As long as your not using your XP license on more than one system at a time then you have nothing to fear. So if your HD is failing and your just putting in a new one then your all set. I've actived my copy of XP tons (prompted from upgrading/changing parts) and I've yet to have anyone tell me that I've used up my authorizations. I've also done a lot of motherboard upgrades for clients which has required reactivation. BTW, if your installing onto a new chipset you can keep all of your apps in place by doing a repair install.

corporate (read: no activation required) ISOs out there, but they take a long time to d/l. very bad stuff MS got hip to this and when you update it crashes.. even the new warez release which is better still aint worth a poop... and yes you have to update it to get SP1. a must.. for the $99 it aint worth the headache. scott

I don't have Win 2000. I have a copy of NT 4.0. I have Win 95, 98, and ME. I also have XP Home. These are all legit copies by the way -except for NT, which I never actually used. It's bull, the way they stick it too you. If I was a corporation, I could understand having a license for each station. But not for home use! That's just ridiculous! If anybody knows where I can get a patch for XP, I'd love to here about it. I wish I had 2k...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived