Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New band .... when does it "click"

Ross Brown

My drummer and I are having a conversation. Our experience has been that when we join a new band or start one, it has always "clicked" right away, or failed.

What is your experience? How long for a band to find its groove? Right away or never? A couple of times together? Months? ....

I am having a hell of a time....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The drummer and I click... from day one.... I am more talking about the sound of the whole band....

It may come... all the pieces are good.... just putting them together.... wow....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

The drummer and I click... from day one.... I am more talking about the sound of the whole band....

It may come... all the pieces are good.... just putting them together.... wow....

As long as you and the drummer click, eventually the rest will fall in line.

It's when you and the drummer don't connect at all where things start to get ugly fast.

Depends on your definition of "clicking". The drummer and I hit it off straight away, he is an easy drummer to work with and the kind that makes me sound better than I am. The band as a whole clicked quite quickly, even with the later addition of a second guitar player (who has been with us since March or so).

But for the band to gel, well that process is still ongoing. The recent gig we did has showed us that there is definite potential here, but we have some issues to resolve such as fluctuating tempos (which the drummer and I have acknowledged is our problem since we go with the flow rather than steer the ship). We will get better with practice and more gigs under our belt, I am sure.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Each band and each relationship within the band is different. A big part of click and gel is people's willingness to work at it.

There will always be personalities that just don't mix, and those usually show up pretty quick. For most other issues, the degree of 'click' depends on the degree of willingness to adjust and adapt- usually tied to the maturity of the members. In the bands I have been in, the click has gotten better as we've invested time in knowing each other.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

As long as you and the drummer click, eventually the rest will fall in line.

Well, not necessarily. What if the guitarist is just consistently awful and can't learn the songs? What if the keyboard player is a drunken oaf who rarely shows up? What if the lead singer is having a bad LSD* trip?

Bass and drums are the foundation, but there's more to making a band click than just that.

*Lead Singer Disease

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived