Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Working in a factory

Ross Brown

My son, also a bass player, told me tonight that working in a factory is like working on a pirate ship. Lots of team work until you get off the ship, then it is every man for them selves. Bandannas are cool. You can understand about 1/3 of what anyone says and most folks are missing teeth, and everyone smells.

he is learning life's lessons....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like a plain pine box with maybe a cross carved into the lid. I swear high-end caskets are the biggest wastes of the bereaved family's money (IMHO of course!).

Just point my toes and hammer me into the ground.

Push the button Frank.

My son, also a bass player, told me tonight that working in a factory is like working on a pirate ship. Lots of team work until you get off the ship, then it is every man for them selves. Bandannas are cool. You can understand about 1/3 of what anyone says and most folks are missing teeth, and everyone smells.

he is learning life's lessons....

That also sounds like landscaping work.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I swear high-end caskets are the biggest wastes of the bereaved family's money (IMHO of course!).

Just point my toes and hammer me into the ground.

There is cool workmanship that goes into these....they are beautiful. It's a waste to put them in the ground... My son thinks they are a waste of money too, but it pays the bills...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Our drummer is an estimator for a roofing company...add checkered past and no driver's license to the list and you just described 80% of their roofing crews.

Yes, add that.... also true....

:laugh:

Ah the old days of working at a printing company... Very long hours in the heat smelling solvents while working on old, loud, dangerous machines with safety features removed (if there were any at all). Where every six months or so you have to assist in removing a crushed finger when the press got hungry. The only bright side of the day was seeing who can irritate someone else the most.

One machine I worked on was converted to electric in the early twenties. The boss could point to parts of the machine and say "that's where I lost this half of my finger for a three cent stamped envelope" and "that's where a belt snapped and gave me this scar on my neck" and "some hippy that didn't have all his hair tied back had a chunk of his scalp ripped out there". My least favorite was running a folding machine named "Damion", I'll always have a 300 bpm metronome in my head.

Other than that, it was completely miserable.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

printing factories have nice gizmos that can cut finger or hand off very cleanly too.... seen that.... almost painless....

That's not the worst part, the big machines will take a finger, then the hand, then the arm, etc. The worst I ever had to deal with personally was when someones hand got seriously flattened. EMTs didn't know what to do so we had to get him out. His hand looked like something out of a cartoon only he couldn't reinflate it by blowing into his thumb. I still don't know how I was able to hold 100 plus pounds at a seriously award position for so long while other parts were removed to get him out. The problem is you always take shortcuts to save time and effort and all it takes is one slip up and you're screwed.

The worst to happen to me was that I lost the tip of my middle finger and nail when my hand was smashed, luckily it's almost unnoticeable now, just a quarter of an inch shorter. I think constantly having green hands and enough razor blade cuts to make them look like rotten hamburgers was worse.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

The only factory work I ever did was when I was a teenager. At 14 I worked in my grandfather's factory putting snaps on vests and flags on poles. (he made safety vests and flags for highway workers and crossing guards). Not too much danger of hurting yourself there. At 17, I worked in a lollipop factory. Unless you fell in a vat like one of the kids in Willie Wonka's factory, no danger there either. However, after seeing how lollipops were made (a horrifying experience), I've never eaten another one.

This is the kind of factory I want to work in:

[video:youtube]

I worked in a place that did rebuilding of appliance timers. While there was plenty of opportunity to get hurt, a little common sense was enough to protect you - no damage. I did learn some useful skills.

A keyboard player I know was in a serious factory accident that chewed up his hand - not dissimilar from what Chad showed. It took quite a while before he could play.

Be careful out there!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Chad's hand reminds me a bit of my father.

My Dad was a big Swedish dockbuilder. Back in the 50's and 60's if you got hurt and missed work you got replaced. One time he was using his carpenter's axe like a hatchet, shaping a piling. He hacked right through his left hand and into the metacarpal of his thumb. Now Dad always kept a "first aid" kit in his big toolbox. A bottle of alcohol, a spool of black thread with a needle, and some white tape. He poured alcohol on the wound, stitched it himself and didn't miss a day. Till the day he died he had limited mobility in that left thumb.

I'm pretty tough but I couldn't do that. My Dad also lost the bottom of his right leg to a Nazi landmine about 7 weeks after landing on Utah Beach. Worked 35 years of heavy construction with a wooden leg. I swear them old dudes were a different species.

Push the button Frank.

luck to have hand?
Well, I don't believe in luck, I believe God chose to let me keep my hand. Damage to everything but bone, except for a tiny little chip. Lots of nerve damage, six surgeries to repair everything as well as it could be repaired in 1980.

Anybody can have a momentary lapse of attention, etc., common sense notwithstanding. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

Archived