Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EV ZXa1 directionality question

Tobias Åslund

I'm worried about the 1/4" input. When laid down as a monitor, it seems like it's putting pressure on the plug. Maybe I have to use a guitar style cable.

I noticed this too. I'd prefer a bit more clearance. If they update this model (or come out with the 10" or 12" models) this would be one point I'd hope they'd change.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take back the comment I made earlier about the power switch. Maybe because I was trying to find the switch by feel (since I wasn't going to turn the monitor around) so I thought it was hard to reach but apparently not. I just couldn't easily feel it. I think it's fine.

On the 1/4 input, I'm wondering if the XLR profile might be a little different. Maybe that's shorter.

Also, I turned up the volume today. I maxed the gain on the keyboard and the amp played very loudly with no distortion at all. Handled the full max volume. Plenty loud for a piano. I think I will be quite ok for a jazz application. I only have one ZXA1 plugged in (mono).

Mono wasn't bad at all actually. When I'm lazy, for a smaller gig, one's probably enough.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Just wanted to report that with an XLR to 1/4 balanced going to my keyboard, there was no hum, or noise. So that fixed the issue I mentioned before. And the XLR profile is fine in monitor mode. I just used this Cab to Mic a Grand Piano Monitor and it did a very good job as a monitor.

• 4 weeks later...
I play around 85% solo piano gigs, dinners and corporates. I went for the 100 and am very happy with it. Very transparent and open sounding for a plastic shell and really light and inconspicuous in a room. I chose the 100 mainly because I didn't want to continually faff around with altering the tweeter orientation when going between floor wedge and pole mount modes. Only slight disappointment is the quality of the CB1 tote bag - feels a bit on the flimsy side for the money and not really enough room to comfortably stow an IEC and a signal cable. But I can't really fault the sound I'm getting so far, and it's plenty loud enough for my needs.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

I've used my EV ZXA1 a couple of times now and I even got a stand for it. Sounds really good for piano. The recommendations here were accurate.

I have a bigger gig this weekend and then I'll really put it to a test volume wise.

Are the guys worrying about input profiles on floor wedge setups using right angled plugs?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When I switched to XLR then it was no longer an issue. But yes some types of 1/4" can be a problem. I had a lot of noise with 1/4 cables so I had to switch anyway.

The XLR profile is so much shorter so that pretty much eliminates the concern. The last two times I used live was as a Grand piano monitor so it was in floor wedge position.

I never thought about there being a difference. I got right angled XLR plugs to go along my QSC speakers if I wanted to run the MP8II direct to my speakers just in case. But in hind sight it probably wasn't necessary. They have a pretty nice recess.

I had some 1/4" cables with a metal cover on the plugs and that became an issue because it was touching the floor right where the cover ended. XLR is not an issue. No need for right-angled XLR plugs.

Now the next step is to find some alternate bag for this since the factory bag is apparently not good.

You might want to ask about these guys. I know a guitar guy who really likes their stuff but he just uses their slip covers. Their speaker bags may or may not be as good.

http://tukicovers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_59&products_id=981

Tuki are good covers, I had one for a Barbetta years ago.

I think these guys have just a tad more quality but both are good. They're a little more dough then Tukis too. I'm just kinda over the top about keeping my stuff in A1 shape. I have their 1" covers with the shoulder strap for my RCF TT08As.

Under Cover in NYC

http://www.undercovernyc.com/

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, and regarding the bag. I found the official EV bag reasonably priced online and used it last night. It's a good bag - well padded, well made overall. The weak point is the plastic rings that you clip a shoulder strap on to - one of them broke last night with pretty gentle use. It looks like the fabric strap that is actually attached to the bag is solid, so I'm just going to find a metal ring to replace the plastic ones. Other than that it's a fine bag. Just a head's up though...

Follow-up to my follow-up. I replaced the plastic strap rings on the EV ZXA1 bag and it works great now. It's a great bag but the plastic rings are an obvious flaw IMO. Easy enough to fix though.

Archived