Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Earthquake anyone?

rizzo9247

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty shaky on the good side of the river too. I think it's the first one I actually ever felt, the problem is I still keep thinking I'm feeling something. When I realized what it was I grabbed my daughter and ran outside, the others outside confirmed my suspicions. The sirens won't stop in my area though I doubt much damage was caused, we're just not used to it in this part of the country.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Thankfully I have today off, and tried to get some things done. I was waiting to get a haircut, and I was impatiently shaking my leg as I sat. And I kind of felt the seat shaking along with some uneasiness and thought to myself 'Stop being such a neurotic, and stop shaking your leg'. Two minutes later the DJ on the radio station they were listening to said "I think we just had an earthquake". And to think that the epicenter was down in northern Virginia, and I felt this all the way in north Jersey.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

My home outside of Philly swayed for a few seconds, but my daughter goes to school at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, which is about 35 miles from the epicenter. She was in her apartment when the whole building began to shake violently--knocked stuff off her walls. She was scared of course, but safe, thank God.

The ironic thing for me is that my other daughter had planned to attend that concert at the Indiana State Fair where the stage collapsed and killed six people. Thankfully, her plans changed at the last minute and she was not there. Now my second daughter has survived an earthquake.

Last time I felt the earth move like my band was playing "I Just Want To Make Love to You" by Foghat. :laugh:

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

We felt it pretty strongly here in W. North Carolina. It shook a few papers off my office cork board.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

My daughter called me from just north of Charlotte NC - she didn't know what was happening until a neighbor told her what it was. She's been thru hurricanes down here in FLA, but this was something new. Initially, I said the disturbance was from the (FL)statewide round of applause when the news that Hurricane Irene would likely miss us was announced.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

5.8 is nothing to sneeze at. Good to hear that there didn't seem to be any injuries.

A month or so ago there was a 3.8 one here (centered about two miles from my house). My wife and I both woke from sleeping soundly....and then went back to bed.

I just talked to my sister who lives in Maryland and things fell off of some of her shelves.

Here's a map of all the earthquakes in the US in the last week...there were 750 of them. Looks like they were nearly all in California, Washington, or Alaska.

Your east coast earthquake was the largest recent one.

Was in a meeting at the time. Heard some cups rattle a bit, but never felt anything.

I think Yellowstone if getting ready to blow...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Well, we had one in the San Francisco bay area last night...3.6 at about 11:45 pm. It only lasted a second or so. That one was centered about 10 miles from where I live.

Also there was one in Mammoth of 4.4. There are earthquakes there on almost a daily basis and one day the whole volcanic mountain is going to erupt again. There used to be only one road in and out of the town and then they built another road called Mammoth Escape Route which was later changed to Mammoth Scenic Bypass after business and landowners complained.

According to the US Geological Service, there are 500,000 detectable earthquakes around the world every year, but only about 100 per year cause any damage and most of them are not even felt by people at all. Some cool earthquake facts here.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

For all you guys who like to worry about global warming and climate change and stuff here's a fun, cheery read: Yellowstone Supervolcano.

Now that doesn't mean it's going to happen, at least in our lifetimes, but if it does. Well damn.

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Caldera-Ashfall.jpg

Now that would be just the ash fall. What it would do to the atmosphere would probably make all the exhaust from all the SUV's ever built look like a cow fart.

Push the button Frank.

When Krakatoa erupted in the 1880s, it killed 40,000 people and was heard 3,000 miles away (purported to be the loudest sound ever produced in modern history). The ash cloud changed the world's weather for five years, and among other things, produced snow during the summer time in New York.

The quake closed down the Washington Monument indefinitely. I was in a two foot thick concrete building and was moving around probably 60 miles north of the epicenter. It was crazy. Went home to take the family to the beach (OC Maryland...eldest is turning 13..)had a great day Wed. and a descent Thursday until they said we had to leave....

So, this week my daughter turns 13 (Fri.) sister turns 40 on Sun. had a decent earthquake, kicked out of the beach because of hurricane...came home to prepare for torrential rains and whatever else said hurricane brings.

I bought 5 megamillion tickets before I left. I'll be damned if something isn't going to happen!!!!

How do you sign a computer screen?

By the way, if you go to the local convenience store in NJ or PA for a snack or something right now, you will find throngs of people who clearly expect to build an anti-hurricane fort out of milk, batteries, water and candles.

Dumb-asses. Everyone knows you use tin foil, duct tape and couch cushions for that.

Also, they seem to think this hurricane will not be made of high winds and rain. Nope. Judging from the behavior I'm seeing, folks must think this storm will be made of blood, fire, locusts and Tyrannosaurus Rexes carrying Great White Sharks under each mini arm.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

There is definitely one thing that always puzzles me when people are buying provisions at the grocery store in order to ride out a storm. Why are they always buying milk, bread and eggs? What, is french toast the ultimate in survival food?!?!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

And seriously...what the hell are you gonna do with six gallons of milk? Especially if you lose power?

Tomorrow my son and I are gonna tie down the grill and deck furniture and make sure we know where the candles and batteries are. That's about it for our "hurricane preparedness" (I'm thirty miles inland). My wife is a nurse and she's working this weekend, staying over at the hospital Saturday night.

Push the button Frank.

Archived