Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginner audio tracking question . . .

Probably a simple problem to resolve, but I cannot find any remedial topics covered in the Cubase SX manual. I prefer to record clips of audio one at a time on a single track (ie - intro, verse, chorus, etc). So the intro is a seperate audio part than the verse, etc. How do I smooth out the breaks between the parts? When I play the track straight through, there are noticable breaks in between the parts, even though they are sequential in respect to time. Does my question make sense?
Amateur Hack

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What audio parts are you talking about? Vocals? Drums? Rhythm? Guitars? Bassoons? To smooth out parts transitioning from one edit to the next, you may have to edit several times for it to be smooth (at least, until you get used to seeing where edits should go). If it's vocals or something else that doesn't have an edit directly at the end of the phrase, you can perform a short fade if it pops at the end of an edit.

I use Cakewalk, not Cubase but I assume organizing audio clips is basically the same. If there are unwanted gaps between the clips as they play, then it sounds like they are not recorded as precisely as they need to be. I also arrange clips this way in Cakewalk. When I'm not exactly on time with a clip (i.e. a little late) there's a space. So I need to either drag the clip over to meet the earlier one or re-record it. If this doesn't address your problem then I'm afraid I don't know what you're asking.

Yeah, right . . . Well, for instance, on the project I'm working on now (and keep in mind, I'm a complete novice), I lay down the piano intro first. I then cut off the remaining leftovers of that take (to make it even with the bar that it should have ended on, ie - I cut off about a half measure of silence, or residual sustain). I then set the cursor to start at the next bar to continue recording the verse, or whatever the next part is. When I do this, there is a definate audio *pop* or click between parts. Even if I am on time. Maybe I shouldn't cut off the rest of the first take, and just start recording again on the next bar over the residual from the previous? Maybe a crossfade in between takes would fix it? I think that what I'm trying to do is so simple, that you may be reading to much into it. :D
Amateur Hack

OK now I've got you. Record your first take longer than you want it, then start recording the next take before it's time. Then you can trim and fade them much easier and they should sound seemless together.

[quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b]I lay down the piano intro first. I then cut off the remaining leftovers of that take (to make it even with the bar that it should have ended on, ie - I cut off about a half measure of silence, or residual sustain). I then set the cursor to start at the next bar to continue recording the verse, or whatever the next part is. When I do this, there is a definate audio *pop* or click between parts. Even if I am on time.[/b][/quote]The other post was right on. Just to add to this, there are several ways around this. If you must trim your "leftovers", try and do it at a zero crossing. This is where the jaggy-looking waveforms intersect with the line that should be right in the middle. Try trimming the audio there. This greatly reduces the chances of a pop or tick. I do this and very rarely do I ever get pops or ticks. If that doesn't work, you can perform a fade at the end of the audio region. If that doesn't work, try highlighting the entire region and look for something that does DC Offset Removal in your program. I'd try and explain this, but I'd sound like a complete boob. I understand it conceptually, but cannot explain it very well.

specific to Cubase, Turn off snap. Drag the two parts so they overlap in the slightest bit. Hold the shift key down, select both parts. Rick click, select audio fromt he drop down menu then choose crossfade. Done and done. I do this dozens of times a day when I'm comping a performance together.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived