Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ut oh... no guitar player

Ross Brown

Just dumped guitar player... hosting open mic... should we play a few that we think sound "OK" with bass, drums and vocals only... if no one shows up that can accompany... or should we defer to the folks that show up... if no one shows up... then what?

I have a week to solve...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one thing that isn't in short supply is guitar players. Surely you know someone who can show up and fake a set of blues covers. If not, put an ad on Craig's list and specify an experienced player for a temp gig. It'll work out fine.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Don't marry the first girl you meet. Do a series of "With special guest (fill in the blank)" shows until you find the girl you completely can't live without. Everybody wins.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Please stop swinging dead cats around. I've been hearing complaints from the guitarists.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Don't marry the first girl you meet. Do a series of "With special guest (fill in the blank)" shows until you find the girl you completely can't live without. Everybody wins.

Yeah, there's nothing like throwing someone straight into the fire to find out what they're capable of.

I am working on finding folks... "If" we find no one... (This is a small town on a Monday night), would you play a few with just bass, drums and vocals only? We have some that sound ok like this, but maybe it is just dumb....

Around here, it needs to be a big long cat in order to hit one that can play...

I am hitting my network... hopefully something will turn up.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Oh, you mean the guitarist needs to be able to play too?

You know if you can pull it off or not, I think it really depends on your selection material and ability of the vocalist to hold people's attention. I think it's OK to take a small gamble on someone you think may work out but, if you take a big gamble, you have to be prepared to mock the guitarist and tell them to get off the stage if they stink. Then again, they may stink from being hit by having a dead cat swung at them.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I am working on finding folks... "If" we find no one... (This is a small town on a Monday night), would you play a few with just bass, drums and vocals only? We have some that sound ok like this, but maybe it is just dumb....

Hell, if you were a smidge closer, I'd come up and sit in for a night. Would be fun. :D

Hell, if you were a smidge closer, I'd come up and sit in for a night. Would be fun. :D

Lynchburg to York.... hmmm.. Maybe Skype you in....

Pick any...

Sympathy for the Devil (Key of D)

Come Together

Take it Easy (Eagles)

Hurts So Bad (Susan Tedeshi)

Venus (Shocking Blue)

Burnin Love (Wynonna style)

Bitter Pill (J. Magness)

Steppin Stone (Monkees)

Devil is an Angel Too (Janiva Magness)

Attitude (Wynonna)

My Baby Loves Me (Martina McBride)

Medicine (Grace Potter)

Paris ooh la la (Grace Potter)

Tightrope (SRV)

That's What Love Will Do (J. Magness)

Some Kind of Wonderful (Joss Stone)

Superstition (SVR style)

Wild Night (Mellencamp)

Here for the Party (Gretchin Wilson)

Take it Back (Reba McIntyre)

Hit Me With Your Best Shot (P. Benetar)

I Get Evil/Dont You Lie to Me (P.Benetar/Albert King)

Love Disease (Sue Foley)

On Fire (JJ Grey and MoFro)

I Just Came to Play (Debbie Davies)

It's 2AM (Shemika Copeland)

Hurts So Bad (Susan Tedeschi)

Well. Originally recorded by Little Anthony and the Imperials in 1965. Covered by many, including Linda Ronstadt in 1980, who undoubtedly did it better than Susan Tedeschi.

Just, you know, for the sake of historical accuracy...

Well. Originally recorded by Little Anthony and the Imperials in 1965. Covered by many, including Linda Ronstadt in 1980, who undoubtedly did it better than Susan Tedeschi.

I know. Little Milton did That' What Love Will Do for You... so Did Jerry Garcia Band... i just give the version we were listening to when we developed the way we play them... Burnin Love ... Elvis... Others? Maybe... Wynonna is cool version though... etc...

Wow, a lot of those songs on your list are pretty guitar oriented. That could be interesting playing them without one.

No keyboard player either?

I'd give a tittie for a good keyboard player... These songs are a blast when the guitar player is "on". When they are not... it is a nightmare...

Bass and drums only (with vocals)? yeah... I know... it is a stretch...

I know.

And I know, I just can't help myself. It taxes the patience of my nearest and dearest frequently. But certainly the "template" that ST's guitar-driven band provides would be more useful than some other versions.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up putting on our big brass balls and showing up without a guitar player. A duo was there wanting to play some bluegrass on a guitar and upright. Great vocals. We let them play about 35 minutes... till they were done. We played a couple bass, drums and vocals only. Not so great... then a bad guiatrist joined us... got worse... then a freind and his dad showed up. They played a while (guitar, vocals and harmonica). They were skilled and we joined them to end the night with a good jam. We have more folks coming next time, including a band that is courting our drummer.... (he is looking for a second project... all is cool). My old band, or some of them... will be there next time too... The bar owner is cool and knows it takes time to develop these things.

Archived