Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Locking in with the guitar player

Ross Brown

If someone can't play in time, nothing you do in a rehearsal will help.

Oh, come on... you're a teacher. People can learn to play in time. It's a skill that can be built.

Teaching "time-deaf" people how to play in time is extremely difficult, and even if you make progress, they'll never get locked in to a groove and they won't be aware of it.

I've been in situations where the problem was attempted to be solved in rehearsals and it always led to a change in personnel.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will always be a weakest link. You just have to make sure it's not you. If you keep firing people who are not as good as you pretty soon everyone else will be better than you....

I always want to be the worst player in the band -- conveniently, that's not usually a problem.

The better players pull me up and make me play better.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I've always maintained that I'm the weakest link in the rock projects and there are way more technical bassist in town, eager to replace me.

I also own a complete 300W, two speaker PA with monitors, 2 Chauvet 4Bars, a convertible hand-truck/cart, a full sized Ford 4x and a van.

That should count for something.

The better players pull me up and make me play better.

Yep. Every time it's tried.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

He was critcal of bandmates.

That usually a sign that he knows he's not playing well and is trying to deflect attention away from himself.

If the rest of the band were complaining then it must have been bad.

Wow. Deja-f***ing-vu - except the weak link in the last project I was in was the bassist, and he ran me out of the band rather than accept my help trying to improve his playing and my criticism when he didn't do his homework.

Drummer was so used to compensating for shitty bass players he figured it was better to stick with the talented but raw singer and her boyfriend. I figure he deserves to play with that level of musicianship if that's where his head is at.

I have maybe an interesting perspective, although my ultimate response will not differ from the others. My primary instrument has always been keys. I used to have horrible timing...horrible. A lot of keyboard players without a lot of live experience do. I know a lot now who play from sheet music, and can't play well with others. Anyway, I somehow (auditioning on bass only) landed a gig with my last band as the bass player, also playing some keys. In the 5 years that I played with them, I not only got pretty tight on bass with the drummer, but my keys playing tightened up. With my current band, my keys were still not as tight as they should be. But I had been so used to locking to the drummer, that I've found myself doing the same now on keys. As a result, I think I've gotten pretty tight on the keys.

Everybody should lock to the drummer, period.

We had a change in bass players a few years ago. This guy is a technically competent player, but just doesn't lock the same way with the drummer. It caused some drama for a while, but honestly, now the drummer just turns down the bass in his mix (we use IEM's) and everything's been OK.

This is OT, because our Guitar player is tight. But I guess my point is sort of that you have to evaluate what the effect on the band is in terms of the ability to lock down the timing. Does anybody besides the band notice it? If not, ignore it move on. If so, just fire the guy.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Everybody should lock to the drummer, period.

Does anybody besides the band notice it?

I've spent many, many years playing Western Swing, (Dance hall music)

Everybody dances to the beat. They could not care less what the guitar player is doing. If he stopped playing, no one would notice. If the drums and bass stop, the music stops, the dance is over.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

a good player will automatically play in time to the groove. unfortunately a lot of people can't do it, period.

when you get to a certain level of people, they all do it.

if this guy is not willing to better himself due not believing you, multitrack recording will show the issue to him. otherwise, it is what it is. good luck

B

People with bad time can sometimes improve dramatically with time and experience and practice with a metronome. Or sometimes it takes a one on one with the individual - it's not always a problem that can't be fixed!

Even people with what seems like a tin ear can learn - not always, but sometimes!

People with bad time can sometimes improve dramatically with time and experience and practice with a metronome.

I record every rehearsal the band does, and share it with the band through Dropbox. Our "new" guitarist surprised me to no end when he said: "You know, those recordings are really useful. I noticed my timing was off during my solo in song X, so I have been working on that." I am still pinching myself to see if it was all just a dream, and I'm about to step out of the shower.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Just as an FYI.... The guitar player send me (and the band) an email critical the way that I fired him.... He thought it was rude that I pointed out that I thought he was repeatedly unprepared... I suppose if I just said "your fired" he would have been critical that I did not tell him why... oh my....
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Just as an FYI.... The guitar player send me (and the band) an email critical the way that I fired him.... He thought it was rude that I pointed out that I thought he was repeatedly unprepared... I suppose if I just said "your fired" he would have been critical that I did not tell him why... oh my....

Good riddance to him. Be happy that you're done with this episode and move on. I wouldn't give the guy a second thought.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

IMHO, this is a TWO steps thing:

1 - Bass and drum should be both locked to each other like Krazy Glue. Their role is to provide the time base for the whole adventure of playing/singing a song. Who lead the other? I don't know, none I think. If they are tight, great. If not, they need to work on the problem.

2 - Everybody else in the band should follow the tempo provided by the above unified "beat" machine.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived