Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

from the how to be a poseur dept...

pinkjimiphoton

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is worse I saw this guy in GC the other day evaluating an amp like he was the authority of tone. Yet the ax he brought with him was nothing more than a low level Ibanez. He kept adjusting the amp , then before he hits a note he changes a guitar setting, no basis for comparison, just kept adjusting things almost randomly. He would play little of Hendrix then move a tone knob, then play something completely different. He knew all the stances to look like he was listing for that special tone. The amp was a Mesa studio caliber, a very good amp. This kid just kept going going and going, I left laughing and laughing and laughing.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I try to go there during the day when school is in session and right after they open other times....then most of the kids are either in school or still in bed. Last time I went there it was about 3:00 in the afternoon and it was all but intolerable. You have one kid trying to slog his way through the intro to Stairway to Heaven, and another kid sitting right across from him playing what I would guess "Panama" might sound like if you are tripping on acid and just generally deranged to start with.....like you're in some alternate universe where timing, tuning, and hitting the right notes don't really matter.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

:D

that's g.c. for ya!!

surprised he wasn't using a prs into a prs amp, with that "tone for days, duuuuuuuuuuuuuude" look...

I dread every moment a GC employee tries to talk to me about tone. It seems the consensus amongst the workers there that solid top acoustics have "real tone" as opposed to laminate tops having "not real tone." Someone better go tell Django Reinhardt that he doesnt have real tone.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

yah, that's why i put the prs digs in...

they are ALWAYS trying to sell me on a prs guitar and/or amp.

and truth is, to me, the les paul style guitar reached it's pinnacle in the...wait for it...les paul!!

same with a strat.

prs guitars don't do anything for me other than visually...they are indeed beautiful, but that's it for me, do i REALLY wanna spend that much bread on a guitar that will never come out of it's case?

never gonna happen.

even worse were the prs amps..."jimi, you gotta try this, this is the best sounding amp you'll ever play thru."

i was, am, and am likely to be, unimpressed. it was a standard sounding modern tube amp. nothing more, nothing less, and certainly not worth the cash they asked for it...i could build 20 of them for that.

yah...guitar center is a bastion of tone. ;)

ohhhhhhhhhh yah!

overpriced, hyped, genericism. no thanks.

PRS guitars was once a high end guitar manufacturer, now PRS is a music corporation, just like very other big name cookie cutter company( they will soon be selling kazoos with PRS emblazoned on them at 100$ a piece). When Money is your sole reason for building guitars your guitars will cease to have a soul.

PRS amps are nothing more than a badge, much like harley davidson makes clothing(what a joke).

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

amen lok!!!!!

to me..it's just not worth it. no offense to those that own and love them, but to me, it's a yuppie guitar, and it's all about the store pushing product...they tell ya it's the greatest thing since sliced white bread, but in the end, it's just sliced white bread.

no thanks.

gimme a tiesco del ray...now THAT is a REAL guitar!! ;)

I do have to say, both of the PRS guitars I owned had excellent whammy bars. With the locking tuners, they always came back in tune, no matter how hard I yanked on it, up or down. They were better than any Fender trem I ever tried, even with locking tuners. Paul Smith put some serious skull sweat into the design, and it really paid off there.

I would have to say that at least on that one component, they improved on the Les Paul-style guitar. I have had and seen LPs that would bind at the nut enough to make accurate tuning difficult and time consuming. This was, of course, before somebody figured out that liquid Teflon helped with that...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Dude I love my PRS McCarty Soapbar, and I've been impressed by their SE series for being cheaper guitars that play quite decently. I dont consider my guitar to be a replacement for a Les Paul because it doesnt play anything like a les paul. It's a bit less brawny and more intimate-feeling, if that makes any sense.

Edit: Though I have to state that I got my PRS off a friend who was getting rid of most of his gear. I got her for only 900 bucks!

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

gimme a cheap ass guitar, and let me at it. i'm fine with off the rack, beat to sh*t things nobody else wants.

none of the high end guitars i've owned were all that much better in the long run than some of the cheapest. for real.

I gotta watch that "fast tongue movement" section again. I'll be back in 5 minutes....Dang, I gotta get me a girlfriend.

I played one of the new PRS jazz box guitars yesterday. I wasn't impressed with it unplugged but once plugged in it really sounded great. Of course the Boogie amp I was playing through probably didn't hurt :)

Forgot to add that there is no way I'm paying that much for a guitar. I bought a PRS McCarty several years ago which I really like but I paid "so much" for it that I'm afraid to scuff it. That is why I love my Tele. The more bashed up it gets the more I love how it looks. I've figures that about $600 is my comfort level for letting a guitar take wear and tear. I have a habit of playing the guitar while watching TV so there is always a guitar laying on my couch precariously perched and waiting for a spill. Currently it is my PRS SE Soapbar II for which I paid $300. It is one of the sweetest sounding guitars I have plugged or unplugged. And that includes the already mentioned McCarty.

gimme a cheap ass guitar, and let me at it. i'm fine with off the rack, beat to sh*t things nobody else wants.

none of the high end guitars i've owned were all that much better in the long run than some of the cheapest. for real.

I paid $400 for my Ibey, and another $200 to fix the neck because my clumsy ass knocked it off the stand face down and cracked it at the nut. Best money I've ever spent on an axe, honestly.

You wanna know what's sad? Old Harmony and Kay guitars and their Green Stamp brethren are going for $1500-2500, and even Teisco Del Reys are up over $500. Stinkin' vintage collectors, they make it hard for the people who actually play the stuff to afford it.

Let's hunt 'em down and scrag the whole bunch.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived