Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Define Shredder

Terrell

I remember Allan Holdsworth (who is much more than just fast) did an album with Frank Gambale called "Truth In Shredding". I have it somewhere, and will probably dig it out this weekend - I remember it had its moments, though clearly won't go down in history as one of the great albums.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's schroeder...but extra points for the humour factor!! ;)

"Schroeder" is the merely Eastern European pronunciation of shredder...from Lower Slobovia, if I'm not mistaken...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

My 2c (currently worth around 2.5 US cents):

A shredder is a player who has developed enough technique to play really quickly and accurately.

I never thought the term suggested an abundance or lack of emotion or good taste...that seemed to be up to the individual player (same as a jazzer, stoner, rocker, funk-er, punk-er et al).

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Context matters, doesn't it? If you're playing an uptempo bebop or bluegrass number, for example, you have to have the chops to keep up with the rest of the band. In context, it's just a normal part of the music.

Play the same lines in a slow ballad, and it might possibly be considered over the top (though I've heard THAT done tastefully, too.)

Actually most of the great virtuosos do a fine job of interpreting slow melodies, also.

A shredder is a player who has developed enough technique to play really quickly and accurately.

I never thought the term suggested an abundance or lack of emotion or good taste...that seemed to be up to the individual player (same as a jazzer, stoner, rocker, funk-er, punk-er et al).

punk rockers can shred?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :crazy:

punk rockers can shred?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :crazy:

Well, some of them do have that downstroke stuff down pretty fast!

But my point was that a certain technical ability or stylistic bent doesn't automatically engender feel/no feel, good taste (whatever that is)/bad taste etc...

Guitar Speak Podcast

A shredder is usually a guitar player that can play some things very fast and is usually of no commercial interest to anyone, this high speed thang is usually propagated in garages and basements.

:whistle:

:facepalm::D

:snax:

d=halfnote

Shredder is all over the place! 30% good 50% bad 20% indifferent.

Is Lincoln Brewster a shredder?

[video:youtube]

Um...I'd call him a great player who can shred. Doesn't always shred, but certainly can do so.

Maybe shred is more a verb than a noun.

BTW Good tune, tone and playing. I don't know much of his stuff, but I did see him as a guest at a large Christian conference a few years back. Les Paul Custom - POD - PA...sounded amazing.

Guitar Speak Podcast

I think it's great to be able to play fast and fancy - IF you can also play a simple melody and make it sing, or play a simple rhythm and make it groove. ALL of the great musicians can do this, and a good musician who can do so will always be welcome. If you have advanced chops/harmonic knowledge on top of it so much the better.

I think it's great to be able to play fast and fancy - IF you can also play a simple melody and make it sing, or play a simple rhythm and make it groove. ALL of the great musicians can do this, and a good musician who can do so will always be welcome. If you have advanced chops/harmonic knowledge on top of it so much the better.

+1

+1

+2 :thu:

Take care, Larryz

BTW Good tune, tone and playing. I don't know much of his stuff, but I did see him as a guest at a large Christian conference a few years back. Les Paul Custom - POD - PA...sounded amazing.

Yeah - I hadn't heard of him till the day I posted this. Someone at the Line6 board was asking how to copy his tone.

Archived