Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ordered my Warmoth neck

LeftyBlues

Caev you'll be pleased to know I ordered a Warmoth Pro CBS era (big headstock) maple/maple neck with abalone dot inlays, satin nitro finish, medium jumbo SS frets and locking tuners. Operation Blue Strat moves forward. Also grabbed a mottled white pickguard and some shielding tape. God love 'em for making lefty stuff too. Now if I can save the beer until AFTER i paint i might actually have this thing together in my lifetime!

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. I didn't know they were offering nitro(-cellulose lacquer) finishes, satin or otherwise! :cool: (Maybe it's old news and I just managed to miss that point! :freak::D )

Yeah, as Terrell asked, what fretboard r, nut-width an nut? What brand tuners are they?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Aaaah, I see that Warmoth says:

"Note: On maple necks with maple fingerboards the entire neck is finished including the fingerboard & frets. We do not remove the finish from the frets. This work is part of the set up, assembly and fret leveling process, and these services are not currently available from Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc."

So you've got some fretwork to do, at least a little, huh?

I'll probably be doing much the same myself in the not too far-off future;

Kev wants- NEEDS- a tricked-out Tele-styled axe...

:rawk::thu::cool:

I didn't realize I'd have to clean the frets but no biggie. I may take it to a luthier anyway just to be safe, I know a guy who does great work and very affordable. So anyway, compound radius neck (Caev I know you said you love it) with GraphTech white TUSQ nut, 1.75" wide, Schaller locking tuners. Locking tuners IMHO are the second best invention ever, after beer of course. This weekend is looking good for again, hopefully the final color coat on my Strat.

1.75" Sweet! Now you're going to be spoiled on a wide nut too...

FWIW - I didn't have to do ANYTHING to their fret job with the SS frets on my necks. So, you may slap it on, shim it to perfection and presto!

Yeah, definitely take it to a good, qualified luthier/tech who's had extensive fret-work experience; and make sure that you tell 'em that it's a compound r, and possibly get some specifics from Warmoth (which/how many frets are 10", etc.), as (if they're still doing the same thing with their Compound Radius design) the frets and underlying fretboard will be grouped so many at a time starting at the nut and 1st-fret and several more being of a 10" r, then the next so many frets of a slightly larger/"flatter" r, then the next so many still larger/"flatter" r, etc., etc. on up to the last grouping which will be 16" r.

And, yeah, you're gonna love that Compound Radius fretboard! You WILL post a raving review of how awesome it is!

You're gonna love those locking Schallers, too!

FWIW - I didn't have to do ANYTHING to their fret job with the SS frets on my necks. So, you may slap it on, shim it to perfection and presto!

But, were any of those lacquered all-maple fretboards with finish sprayed over the frets?

But, were any of those lacquered all-maple fretboards with finish sprayed over the frets?

No finish on mine of course... Wouldn't be hard to remove the finish. No special tools needed. 22 minutes with a razor and a fingernail. Make sure it's decaf that morning and the DTs are in check! Or, just pay someone to do it. My plan on both necks was to check them into the shop. Eagerness got the best of me in both cases and I slapped them on and went to town. Anyway the more you can do ahead of time as far as action and shim, the less the luthier will have to do and guess about.

+1 on an experienced luthier if you are going that route. They need more than one dressing file and block for compound radius AND experience...

$0.02

Can't wait to hear that puppy!

A friend of mine who's a guitar tech said just mask off the fret board and use Q-tips with paint thinner, that'll take the nitro right off the frets. Yes i'm looking forward to the wide nut, maybe I'll be able to play an F chord without pain!

Thanks gents, I'll keep you updated on my progress.

L.B.

You probably could do a lot worse than just cleaning the finish off the frets and running with 'em as-is, but having a proper total fret-job done will be money well-spent; or, consider learning how to DIY, and invest on the tools.

The frets (and tung-oil/Butcher's Wax "finish") on the Warmoth neck on the super-Strat stylee that I've mentioned was done-up first-rate by world-class luthier and violin-maker Eric Aceto.

Archived