Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Myung named greatest bassist of all time

Tenstrum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting read, thanks! He is a man of few words, as is evidenced on the DT drummer audition videos so far. I think he says a sentence per episode, and not a really long sentence at that :)

Interesting quote, this one:

"I'd say we're all impacted, because we all interact with the rhythms. So this isn't going to affect me more than anybody else, really.

Makes me wonder ... They apparently do not think in "traditional" terms when it comes to the roles of the individual musicians. If there is one thing lacking in DT's music, though, it is groove. Yes, they have odd meters and wacky time signatures but as much as I love their over-the-top playing, they do not groove. The bass always sits too low in the mix, too, but that is a different discussion altogether.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I love the music and yeah it grooves at times but it never feels s*xy :) Then again, this is cerebral music, I think, so it shouldn't feel s*xy, now should it? Still, I am hoping the new album will be significantly better than the last few they brought out. Guess MP will not get to finish his 12-step program songs after all...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

All the math rock in the world will never replace a James Jamerson bass line.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Really, greatest of all time? Granted he is damn good but I think that is a bit overboard.

There is no denying that Mr. Myung is very talented.

However, on that list James Jamerson was #15. Paul Gray of Slipknot was #3.

I have nothing further to add.

Push the button Frank.

But I, in no way, feel that it's true in the sense of the title of the award, because there's so many great players all over the world who contribute amazing music. So, even though I'm deeply flattered and appreciative, let's say that it's taken with a bit of objectivity

And he's humble, too. ;)

He is most definitely a darn good bass player.

I like his technical skill and I do believe that he plays with groove. Granted, most of DT's stuff is very technical but they occasionally have some really good slow grooving stuff. Falling Into Infinity is a very groovy album. I also think Myung's solo during "A change Of Seasons" is groovy as well.

But yeah, this whole best ever bass player concept is just a subjective thing. I personally think that award should go to Michael Manring. That dude is just freaky!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Who's John Myung?

FeIlDy IZ da GrEAteSt baZZ plyr EVAR!!!!ONE!!! omglol

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

LOL! Actually, I have no problem with Fieldy. He fits in with what he does. And In the end, I think that's just about the best compliment you can give.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived