Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weekly Update: GUITAR PLAYER's GUITAR SUPERSTAR 2011

Editor Boy

Hi gang,

We have six early entries for our annual GUITAR PLAYER's GUITAR SUPERSTAR competition: Michael Vick, Richard Burrell, Richard Danner, Walt Kosar, Rob Carlton, and Mark Kroos.

Please go to www.truefire.com/gpgs2011 to check them out and comment.

We'd also like you to ENTER this competition and show the GP editors what you've got! Entries this year are FREE!!!

In addition, the five finalists selected by the GP staff to compete in the big show at summer NAMM in Nashville on July 23 will be included on a GUITAR PLAYER RECORDS digital EP, distributed online by MI5 Recordings/Universal!

For more info, click to the Truefire link above, or go to http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/unleash-your-star/March-2011/129315.

And please check this Forum each week for updates and news.

We're also posting news on Facebook and Twitter.

Best to all,

Mike

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't get me wrong bro, hope he kicks ass...i just won't participate in rating guitar players. i've heard gods that sucked, and kids that blew my mind, and i don't see it as better, i see it as we all different. one guy may be better technically with one thing than another, but not many can do multiple bags and pull it off, but we all seem to have our own little niches. it could be speed, dexterity, soulfullness, tone, attitude, classicness, newness or whatever...but it all is part of the lexicon and valid to me. i played with a kid recently that didn't do anything for me at all the first time i heard him...but...once i actually PLAYED with him, i saw what he was about, and had a good time, and he played really well, and had some cool ideas and approaches...and i'm a stick in the mud classic rock kinda player. it's all good...or should be!

;)

jmo...other's mileage may vary

Jimi...

Yes, it's a competition. But, as Alfred Hitchcock would say, "That's just the MacGuffin." To me -- and I created this thing -- it's WAY more about spreading the word that playing guitar is massively cool, and honoring the efforts of players who strive and struggle to perform ferociously well. It's evangelism for the instrument we love.

Cheers,

Mike

Jimi...

Yes, it's a competition. But, as Alfred Hitchcock would say, "That's just the MacGuffin." To me -- and I created this thing -- it's WAY more about spreading the word that playing guitar is massively cool, and honoring the efforts of players who strive and struggle to perform ferociously well. It's evangelism for the instrument we love.

Cheers,

Mike

gotcha mike, it's all good...just not my bag personally. i totally grok your point...just on the flip side of the same coin!!

cuz us guitar players (even the examples in the douchebaggery thread) are the coolest thing since ice, baby!!

rock on my friend

jimi

When I go to look at the entries, it seems to shuffle the list into a new random order every time I click on a video. Is it just me?

It's ok when there are just a few like right now, but it's going to make it very hard to keep track when there are more than half a dozen.

This Week's Update...May 2, 2011:

The host for GUITAR PLAYER's GUITAR SUPERSTAR 2011 competition is LARRY CARLTON. First three judges are Reeves Gabrels, Carl Verheyen, and Muriel Anderson. It's gonna be HOT in Nashville on July 23. More news to come...

To enter the competition, go here: www.truefire.com/gpgs2011

For more info, go here: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/unleash-your-star/March-2011/129315.

Cheers to all,

Mike

Well, you've got some very talented judges!

I'm not totally nuts about the competition [Guitar Olympics] thing, but if helps someone's career who really has something to offer, I say, go for the gusto.

At least your judges won't be Simon Cowells, I hope, and say nasty things to the contestants....

Archived