Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tube amp issues

Creamer298

I actually do have a little Vox Pathfinder that I love... and a Crate Power Block rides along as an an emergency backup if I only bring one amp to a show... the times I've had to use it, with a Tech 21 Liverpool standing in as a preamp, it sounded pretty good and powerful... and much better than the silence or buzzing that preceded it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
)...

This is true but I played a solid state amp hard through my teenage/college years and the only problem I ever had was a blown fuse. Ever! It was a '79 Acoustic, i think... and it sounded great, until I stopped playing strats and developed a taste for Gibsons and it didn't. There was an article somewhere recently detailing how solid state amps were received as a big advancement in dependability in the late 60s... especially those by Standell, Sunn, Vox, Acoustic... even Fender and Music Man going for solid state rectifiers or preamp sections were viewed as an advancement. And we all know the Roland Jazz Chorus was King Kong on the skyline for a period.

I need tube amps, now... but sometimes my wallet wishes I'd stayed innocent and satisfied with SS.

I love the tubers but my 410 deville stays in the closet now and I use the little SS ztClub 12 mainly due to weight and size but it really does a great job...some of the other steps I forgot to mention before ordering new tubes (ie. besides tube checking the ones you have 1st) a) with the amp off reach in and make sure the tubes are all in their sockets as sometimes they bounce loose during transport to and from gigs and practices...b) make sure there are no broken or missing tubes c) keeping your hands kids and pets out of there, plug in the amp with no chords or pedals or guitars attached and see if the tubes are all glowing and if any are glowing much brighter than the others...I'm sure the guys are right about getting those power tubes out ASAP if they are bad on that model...there are other things that cause major amp rumbling noises besides tubes though...like speakers, grounds, solid state parts, transformers, shorts, cords, wiring, caps, pots, input plugs, etc...if the tubes are good, you won't find the problem by replacing them, even if they are old...

Take care, Larryz

Thanks guys. I'll post back after replacing the power tubes and let you know whether or not I avoided catastrophic damage.

This has been a nice learning session, thanks for the knowledge!!

Keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

UPDATE:

Replaced the power tubes with the Mullard EL84 at Doug's recommendation. Replaced my first preamp tube with a Penta 12AX7.

Fired it up and it works like new!!!

I'm so glad to have my amp working again... Just pissed i went this long without it over something so SIMPLE!

Thanks for all the help dudes.

Cool, glad to hear it!

IIRC, it was a Penta that Doug recommended (and that I got) to replace the phase-inverter in a friend's Laney head that I cleaned-up a few years ago.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived