Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recurrent gripe!

Ross Brown

I am re-issuing a gripe I have.... I replied to an ad for guitar lessons. The ad claims that the teacher has been teaching for more than 20 years. I wrote to the teacher to ask for more info and the reply he sent came back looking like text messaging from a 16 year old. No punctuation, no capitalization, etc.

I have trouble taking people seriously when they do that. Is it me? It is unprofessional to respond like an idiot... in my opinion.

[and yes, it has been a long day and I have had it!!!... tomorrow will be better....]

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am replying to a band ad and get a reply full of text shorthand and spelling errors of simple words, I simply delete the email and move on.

What is it these days with the large percentage of people who are too lazy to learn the difference between "your" and "you're" or who think that "could of" is correct?

UR rite I WoUlD B PO LOL

SaY K thx but no thx!

ttyl

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

i don't capitalize, but i am erudite with my spelling and grammar.

robb.

Is "robb." a complete sentence?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. Long day here, too. :/ )

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

In all seriousness, "text talk" and other common grammatical errors aside, I am astounded by the inability of the common person to form proper sentences, let alone form a coherent idea, argument, or theme within a written document. I never fancied myself as having any special literary compositional skills. I'm an engineer, so math and science are my strengths. But I can write circles around people who are in professions you woud think breed stronger writers - like teachers. I wrote most of the papers for my ex girlfriend when she had to take an English class for college. Recognizing her need for improvement, I had hoped we could go through the subject matter and she could learn something. But, unfortunately, she was content to just turn them in as-is and learn nothing. Comments from her professor included "virtually flawless" and "I always look forward to your essays". I created more work for myself, because the last assignment was to improve on a previous assignment based on feedback. There was no negative feedback on any assignments, so I had to write a whole new paper...and it wasn't even my class. Hmm, and she dumped me after she got her grade...feeling used?

But she showed me papers others had written, and they were HORRIBLE! Low expectations, I guess.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm going to dissent to a degree, Ross.

On one hand, I agree that the guy should be more professional in his writing style. It's like wearing jeans and an "AC/DC" T-shirt to a job interview.

But, what's the meat of the guy's response?

What I mean is, maybe the guy is old-school and never really gave much thought to typing and such. He could be a great at teaching guitar and suck at typing- you aren't looking for someone to teach you to type.

Like the saying goes, don't be too quick to judge a book by its cover.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

This is something I do think about... But it is my guts telling me that it is an indication that the guy (or anyone that does it) has not got his act together.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

This is something I do think about... But it is my guts telling me that it is an indication that the guy (or anyone that does it) has not got his act together.

+1. If you're going to be a band guitarist, fine. If you're going to put a shingle out, get a damned proofreader. When I'm looking for a musician and I get an email that looks like random acts of typing. I delete it.

"You might be missing out on a great musician and bandmate!". Yeah, true. I also might be missing out on an immature, skill-challenged flake. I'll take my chances.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

As an old English major, I'm as big a stickler for proper grammar and spelling as anyone else. On the other hand, English (or any language) is a living thing--constantly changing and adapting to the world. That's why the dictionary now includes "OMG" and "byte." Some of the "rules" we all accept in English don't make much sense. For example, capitalizing the first word to indicate the beginning of a sentence is redundant--because the period at the end of the prior sentence already tells you that a new sentence is coming (this point was made to me by a linguist).

Sometimes it's a fine line between sloppiness and "newness." My general rule of thumb is, you'll never go wrong practicing the standard rules. That's not to say I'll never use LOL, but I do like to use apostrophes appropriately.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I try not to be too judgmental about the writing skills of potential band mates, but I must admit I do cringe when I get emails from folks full of grammatical errors and bad spelling.

"hey man hit me up i play drums im ready to rock anytime"

I received an email with almost that exact wording. Pretty unimpressive. I did have that person come by to play, though, because poor writing abilities don't necessarily indicate poor drumming abilities. In fact, I sometimes find overly literate folks make irritating drummers--see Neil Peart.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

...... In fact, I sometimes find overly literate folks make irritating drummers--see Neil Peart.

Ahhhhh, Rush bashing in the morning, it smells like.....like, one little victory. :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Judge for yourself... from someone who claims to be a professional guitar teacher.

well 1st i would need to find out what level you are @, and your knowledge, but 4 beginner i would go over the basics like teach penatonic scales major and minor and move on from there, but someone that has some exp. i would start of with the circle of 4ths and 5ths and once you get a grasp of that then we can branch off to the relative minors and modes, but like i said i need to know what you know give me a call...

Looks like he wrote that from a cell phone. That is by far not the worst reply I have seen.

Take this for what it is worth (nothing), but from all of your "gripe" posts, you seem like a hard person to please.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Take this for what it is worth (nothing), but from all of your "gripe" posts, you seem like a hard person to please.

This is true. Lower standards may be the way to go....

If one is presenting himself as a professional, potential clients will make judgements of that person's credibility and competence based most often on the first personal contact.

Verbal/textual communication is so prevalent as an initial contact these days that is has become in many ways our "first impression" of a person and yet so few people consider the implications.

This is one of the reasons that I so despise automated phone trees used by businesses, especially the very deep ones that seem to be specifically designed to keep you from talking to a person. Usually the first contact a person has with a company is a call for information or assistance, to be met with such an impersonal response is, in my opinion at least, not only frustrating but simply bad business.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The point is that not everyone puts the same value on things. So he didn't reply with a website that is full of references. So what.

Some people find an "over reply" contrite. People are too full of themselves anymore.

How did you approach him? A simple "Hey, I am interested in guitar lessons."

According to his reply, you gave him no information on your level of ability.

How do you sign a computer screen?

+1 on phone reply comment. Content seems pretty solid. Personally, I wouldn't blow that off yet.

He's talking some theory, and an important thing to me is the fact he's trying to find out where you are at before he gets too specific on what he can help you with. That tells me the guy at least tries to teach on an individual needs level.

Give the guy a call. Respectfully speaking, you've probably spent more time on here griping about his response than calling the guy and getting a better picture of what he can (or can't) do for you.

As far as standards, there are standards, then there's picky. Being picky isn't bad, but being picky about things that have little bearing on the main point can be counterproductive.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Give the guy a call. Respectfully speaking, you've probably spent more time on here griping about his response than calling the guy and getting a better picture of what he can (or can't) do for you.

Agreed. My intent was to see how others felt about this "type" of reply... not this reply in general. I am checking myself against others that may have simliar encounters. Am I too picky and hard to please? Probably... That is one of the questions I am asking (myself).

The point is that not everyone puts the same value on things. So he didn't reply with a website that is full of references. So what.

Some people find an "over reply" contrite. People are too full of themselves anymore.

How did you approach him? A simple "Hey, I am interested in guitar lessons."

According to his reply, you gave him no information on your level of ability.

I did give him info... he ignored it.

Archived