Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Jupiter 80 video

zephonic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From a quick glance: rumored delivery date September, priced around 3,000 Euros (~4250 USD).
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

...with the infamous Roland Tonewheel model...

...oh, yes - it has the same color scheme as the Jupiter 8... oh joy..! :P

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Yep... one handicam-shot video on YouTube, and people have already made up their minds. :facepalm:

People get excited, and the synth wasn't even played for more than 10 seconds! :snax:

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Yep... one handicam-shot video on YouTube, and people have already made up their minds. :facepalm:

Yup! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

To be honest - I was (am) really interested in the V-synth GT. I just don't see myself buying one - mainly because the music I'm into now is mainly old school funk and 50's blues... and my budget is tight as usual... So vintage keys is my thing for now, and probably for many years to come. I will probably spend $$$ on a new board this year, but as for now Red, not Orange, is at the top of my list... :) (not comparing the two - too much apples/oranges, I know...)

I have nothing against the Jupiter-80 either, other than the use of the "Jupiter" name. I get the reason Roland want to re-use the name - as someone said in another thread - "Jupiter stands for evolution and new thinking", or something like that. So it will be interesting to see an English video, showing what new technologies the Jupiter-80 brings. My German is a little rusty... :) What I really hope for in this machine is better virtual analog stuff and more physical modeled instrument ala the V-synth GT. Time (and probably YouTube...) will tell! :)

She's a looker - gotta admit. Hope she sounds as good as she looks.

With the name Jupiter, this thing had better have a killer JP-8 emulation, and not just the V-Synth ported over. Nothing against the V-Synth mind you - love mine. But this board's supposed to be a Jupiter.

Someone who speaks German posted that the video says the Jupiter-80 is basically:

- SH01/Gaia VA Synth

- Supernatural sampled sounds

- Roland modeled organ

Designed to be a performance synth. Looks like it MIGHT not be a replacement for the V-Synth.

Busch.

Actually, the "VA synth" section is evidently more like this:

"In the analog synth section of the JP-80, these are not VA oscillators, they're sample-based and the whole engine is pretty much a slightly cut-down (but more easy to grasp!) version of Fantom-S/X/G. But the SuperNatural part of the synth is completely different, it uses a kind of morphing technology to provide totally seamless, imperceptible shifting of multisampled layers, plus they have that articulation modeling - should all be pretty interesting!"

Grabbed from Roland Clan.

Busch.

Another relic from the '80s is revived to demo the JP-80:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_5WpKWC5RU&feature=player_embedded

And some more sound from Gearjunkies:

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=6277

It's kind of hard to tell because of the room sound, but it does not sound like your standard Roland fare.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I could not afford a Jupiter-8 at the time. I still can't. I still want one. The 8's have held their value overtime.

I like what I see with this new synth. Too bad I don't play synth music anymore.

I didn't recognize Howard. It has been a while.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

First though with Howard Jones stood behind it was that it look absolutely huge and heavy, but maybe it's the camera angle, because it's only 76 keys and under 18kg in weight. I'm with Mr T on this one - would be nice to have but it's not the sort of board I could justify buying.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

The Howard Jones' video was the most compelling for me, perhaps due to the sound quality. In addition to the Jupiter 8 doesn't this instrument remind one of the Korg Trident and Arp Quadra?

Here's our video from back at NAMM. These were prototypes, and I was shooting on a little Zoom cam, so the quality isn't the best, but you get an early look at what the new Jupe is about. Video wasn't even supposed to be allowed, but they let me do it because I signed an NDA. And people who keep their NDAs tend to get invited back to bring you the ACCURATE scoop about the next big thing a company does. That's the difference between an established magazine or website and the countless blogs and forums out there.

BTW, Roland asked me how much "analog baggage" the "Jupiter" name carries, and I told them I thought it was considerable. In addition to everything else, this thing IS a full-on VA, but I suggested they make a new PG "programmer" to park on that panel real estate on the right.

Inside Roland, "Jupiter" has always referred to a product line that was intended both to emulate acoustic sounds and create yet-unheard sounds. Back in 1981, people lusted after the Jupiter-8, but not because of how "analog" or "retro" it sounded. It was because, rather, of all the sounds it could make. So in that respect, the name fits the new JP-80, but Roland understands as much as anyone that the word also has a life of its own. Anyway, clonk below and enjoy the videos...

http://keyboardmag.com/article/roland-jupiter-80-video/April-2011/130237

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Ok - this grumpy old Swede (me) is slowly changing his mind - this seems like a nice performance board. :)

Seems to be a nine part multitimbral SuperNatural performance board - nice!

Archived