Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

nord piano vs Ivory

rockkeys

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were recording an album of solo upright piano I would either rent an upright piano or buy time at a studio that had a good upright available for use.

I can see using digital pianos and/or software for a live solution, or band recordings, or even demo purposes, but I think inevitably the digital artifacts would bother me if I had to listen to a whole album of solo piano played on a digital instrument.

I assume a real acoustic is not an option for the OP, whether hypothetical or real.

I'd say Ivory especially if it were Ivory II (though that version of Uprights is not yet available). A software piano should blow away any hardware piano currently available.

Ooh, ooh, I just came up with a better answer.

My ears. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If I were recording an album of solo upright piano I would either rent an upright piano or buy time at a studio that had a good upright available for use.

I can see using digital pianos and/or software for a live solution, or band recordings, or even demo purposes, but I think inevitably the digital artifacts would bother me if I had to listen to a whole album of solo piano played on a digital instrument.

Thanks for your opinion! :thu:

I assume a real acoustic is not an option for the OP, whether hypothetical or real.

I'd say Ivory especially if it were Ivory II (though that version of Uprights is not yet available). A software piano should blow away any hardware piano currently available.

What is the main difference between Ivory and Ivory II?

yeah, I get what you're saying, and if it were up to my ears, I'd agree that Ivory is better. That being said, there is way more to it than just your ears....latency, the inherent pros/cons of software vs hardware, velocity curves, etc. Put another way, every time I've recorded with Ivory, I've had some issues with hardrive speed, CPU efficiency, etc. Playing a Nord piano is way less chaotic than playing Ivory. Maybe I need to fix my computer, but just thinking of that makes me want to not record. With a Nord, it's plug in, play, record. But, Ivory sounds better, or does it? That is why I'm looking for people's insight who have used one, or both.

I would choose not to make the album.

Wow. I feel ashamed about my OP. You sound like a real artist. I'm just some kid who likes to play with software toys. Sorry. I'll stop posting. I didin't realize that you're the real deal, possibly a misunderstood genius? I totally get what you mean now when you responded to my OP by educating me on what I should be doing with my recording project. Thanks. In fact, I'm throwing my box of Ivory and all 9 CD's into my fire right now!

Calm down you two kids. :cop:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

understood. But what is the difference between Ivory I and II?

You're asking for razzing again. Better go to the Ivory website and get the lowdown. Then, post again with a more informed question.

I got no opinion about Ivory II. I like how Ivory I sounds. So, my reply ain't nothin' worth reading. FYI, I've had to go through the razzing when I joined this forum. It ain't like going to a bar and shooting the breeze about dis n dat.

I would choose not to make the album.

Wow. I feel ashamed about my OP. You sound like a real artist. I'm just some kid who likes to play with software toys. Sorry. I'll stop posting. I didin't realize that you're the real deal, possibly a misunderstood genius? I totally get what you mean now when you responded to my OP by educating me on what I should be doing with my recording project. Thanks. In fact, I'm throwing my box of Ivory and all 9 CD's into my fire right now!

Wow, chillax. I wouldn't make the album either, but that doesn't mean you can't. You asked for opinions on a hypothetical case, and what would you expect more than an honest reply? Your preferences quite possibly won't apply to everybody.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Coolio, I do have to wonder why many of the threads you start develop into you taking huge offence at some random remark, then having a pop at someone. I'm pretty sure the moderator may be wondering the same thing.

If you want to record a solo piano album, why aren't you using that Yamaha grand of yours?

That said...to those who responded that they wouldn't bother, there are some of us here (me) who either don't currently own an acoustic or whose acoustic instruments are less than pristine, and perhaps can't justify the cost of renting a studio with a nice grand in it to record something we might perhaps sell a few dozen of on iTunes.

Sure, we can tell the difference, but your average listener out there knows screw all about sample loops and stretching. They just hear "a piano".

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

If you already have both the Nord Piano and Ivory in your possession, why not simply try both of them on the same track. See which one "feels" better and the one your most connected to (from a player's perspective) should shine as the better performance.

I think your question, while valid is a highly subjective one, since some are quite well adapted to the issues of recording with software instruments (latency, etc) and others don't fare as well.

Even if you were to have 25 opinions about other's experiences, they many not necessarily mirror your own.

If it were me AND the system driving Ivory was fully optimal, I'd go with Ivory.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Like probably several folks here, I've recorded with Ivory (Italian Grand, not the Uprights), and find that if I'm not going to pony up the $ to find a studio that 1) has a nice grand and 2) knows how to mic it well, it's a good "point and shoot" solution. I was pleased with the results; more than once I've recorded on what a real piano and found the recorded results were meh compared to what I heard in the room.

But using Ivory requires taking the time with your controller to dial in the velocity curve for your playing. No point using a setting with 12 layers if your controller is never going to access the softer dynamics because of your curve settings.

When people say they're looking for an "upright piano", I really don't know what that means. For some it might be a quality, newer instrument that's tightly tuned but just sounds a bit more intimate than a grand. But it could also mean one where the tuning is loose, or even wildly out of tune or maybe one where note-to-note consistency is out the window. Do you want it to sound new or ancient? Prefect or funky? Maybe you're looking for one with tacks.

With grands, I think most people expect the instrument to be as pristine as possible. With uprights, I don't know.

Busch.

Which is probably why Ivory Uprights has four different ones. :thu:

Coolio, I do have to wonder why many of the threads you start develop into you taking huge offence at some random remark, then having a pop at someone. I'm pretty sure the moderator may be wondering the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I have the feel for communicating on these forums, so I will be taking a more passive role from now on.

Archived