Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This may be a dumb question but...

Ross Brown

OK.

An Abm7 chord has four notes: Ab Cb Eb Gb. Notice that the note names are in 3rds, or every other letter of the alphabet.

We don't say that the chord has the notes Ab B Eb and F# because we are mixing sharps and flats and when your write those notes out on the staff, the chord would be much harder to read.

Our Abm7b5 chord will now have the notes Ab Cb Ebb and Gb and an Abdim7 chord will have Ab Cb Ebb and Gbb.

A B chord has the notes B D# F#.

A B augmented chord has the notes B D# Fx (F double sharp).

It may be easier for you to think of these chords with other note names, but it will be way easier for a sight-reader to read them with the proper notation.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, I see incorrectly written diminished chords in charts on a regular basis and it drives me nuts.

A blues progression might be written:

C|F|C|C|

F|Adim|C|C

G|F|C|G|

but if I play an A, it sounds wrong. The proper name for the chord is F# diminished and even though both F #dim and Adim have the same notes (which they share with Eb dim and C dim), playing any note other than F# on the first beat of that measure is just plain old wrong.

It's like playing cards, you set the rules and then follow them in the game.

If I say I 'm playing in Cx, then my next note is Dx, then Ex. The rule is that the names are C, D, E ... and sharp and flats are used to adjust intervals to the familiar tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone of a major scale.

So, if you start in E flat, next is F flat, then G natural ...

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

It's like playing cards, you set the rules and then follow them in the game.

If I say I 'm playing in Cx, then my next note is Dx, then Ex. The rule is that the names are C, D, E ... and sharp and flats are used to adjust intervals to the familiar tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone of a major scale.

So, if you start in E flat, next is F flat, then G natural ...

You obviously meant Eb, F, G, Ab, mio buon amico.

Hey there are more than 13 keys, there are 15:

1: C no flats or sharps

2. C# 7 sharps

3. Db 5 flats

4. D 2 sharps

5. Eb 3 flats

6. E 4 sharps

7. F 1 flat

8. F# 6 sharps

9. Gb 6 flats

10. G 1 sharp

11. Ab 4 flats

12. A 3 sharps

13. Bb 2 flats

14. B 5 sharps

15. Cb 7 flats

Except Cb = B, F# = Gb, C# = Db when one is speaking in terms of the actual tones used to play a given song. So no, you don't get to count them twice in this context. ;)

If you wish to speak that literally, however, there are 21 "keys"...

C

C#

Db

D

D#

Eb

E

Fb

E#

F

F#

Gb

G

G#

Ab

A

A#

Bb

B

Cb

B#

My brain hurts.

this discussion reminds me of a joke I read in a joke book I had as a kid. "How is an icy sidewalk like music?" "If you don't C# you'll Bb."

It was funny when I was 10.

It's still funny to antiquated old farts like us who actually have a clue about reading/understanding music notation, when most of the current crop of youngsters wouldn't know a D9 from an A11...

D9? That's the Caterpillar bulldozer that gets possessed and goes haywire in "Killdozer".

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

oh come on!!! Ebb or Flow!!! That's good stuff!!!!

:laugh:

nothing?.... nothing at all???

Scheesh....

"That's funny right there, I don't care who you are..."

Tough crowd.

Sorry, Ross, it was too early in the morning when I read it first time and it didn't register...

oh come on!!! Ebb or Flow!!! That's good stuff!!!!

:laugh:

nothing?.... nothing at all???

Scheesh....

(thmp) (thmp) is this mic on?

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

.. wouldn't know a D9 from an A11...

D9 is a dozer, A11 is that steak sauce, right?

I sang it in D for the band.... They liked it.

Great. :thu: On to the next dilemma.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose on a tune like "Sympathy", the signature guitar licks aren't too dependent on open strings. I would transpose to Eb, even though I would rarely play in that key unless I had too. Guitrists really like the security of playing in just a few keys which take advantage of those open strings.

I would really resist retuning for a single song, guitars aren't all that stable, and retuning by a half step throws the whole setup out of whack. The intonation is going to be off up the neck, and halfway through the tune the whole thing is going to want to drift sharp. Then when you tune back up for the next song, it's going to drift back flat. It really is a problem.

If this song is really important to the band, then learning to play it in Eb sounds like a fair compromise. If you aren't all that good at singing, maybe it is a more trouble than it is worth. Maybe find a song that you sing well in the original key? I wouldn't make to big a deal about it either way.

I'm a guitarist who is quite used to transposing to different keys to please singers, often on the fly - and I rarely use a capo.

But in some cases, open strings are essential to getting the right sound, and detuning or a capo may be necessary, or just plain sound better.

Doubtless you keyboard guys can transpose simple tunes without much trouble - but how about more complicated things? Are you equally proficient in all 12 keys, on the fly in real time? Do certain pieces just not sound right in a different key?

I understand that there is a transpose button you can press on an electric keyboard to automatically transpose - cool I guess, but I'd hate to think a guy would grow to be too dependent on it - you'd really be royally screwed if you went to an acoustic piano, wouldn't you?? LOL

Archived