Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a Lap-top for recording etc... opinions wanted

tarkus

I'm in the market for a new Lap-top since my old Dell is awful/

I'm partial to the new Macbook Air.

I've never recorded to a computer, but my Triton Extreme has USB's as well as Midi.

1. What interfaces / hardware would I require?

2. Recording Software?

3. Publishing or notation Software?

4. what am I leaving out?

thanks in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way would I get an Air for recording. MacBook Pro, sure.

Beyond that, your question is extremely open-ended, and each point is its own thread.

At this point, we'd need to know what you intend to record. Just synths? Vocals? Full drum kit?

As for recording software, there are MANY options. As you sound new to this, I'd suggest even Garageband (comes with the Mac) would be a good place to start.

-John

I make software noises.

Would you anticipate wanting to multi track record an entire band? Or strictly one track at a time? Live recording or just at home? Strictly recording, or sequencing/virtual instruments, etc? What's the purpose of the final product? Demos, hobby, originals for distribution? All of these can play a role in selection criteria.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Would you anticipate wanting to multi track record an entire band? Or strictly one track at a time? Live recording or just at home? Strictly recording, or sequencing/virtual instruments, etc? What's the purpose of the final product? Demos, hobby, originals for distribution? All of these can play a role in selection criteria.

I want the best flexibility I can get with the existing technology.

I want the same flexibility I can get with a stand-alone digital multi-track recording console.

I want a reliable, easy to use system that enables me to record and editand ultimately produce professional quality recordings.

I'm also in the process of changing from hardware to computer (laptop) recording so would be keen to hear opinions. I'm particularly curious about what kind of capacity is needed (in terms of processing power, RAM and hard drive) to run such a system optimally.

How much do you want to spend?

Depends:

If I'm already investing over $1500 for a MacBook pro (as suggested) how much more do I need to spend to get the flexibility of a standalone machine that currently retails for under $1000?

Re: The Mac Air comment. The Air is fine if you want to record some MIDI into GarageBand or a similar sequencer (use the USB MIDI out of your Triton Extreme). If you want to bring audio in (e.g. the sounds of the Triton, the occasional vocal track, guitar etc.) you need to hook up an audio interface, and for that you need connectivity.

The problem with the Mac Air is not so much the horsepower of the machine, but the connectivity options - it only has 2 USB ports, whereas the MBPs also offer firewire connectivity. You should think both in terms of hooking up an audio interface and connecting external storage (since the built-in SSD of the Air is rather small).

Since Apple just came out with new MBPs it might be a good time to pick up a used last-generation model.

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I know you said "laptop" but I thought I'd share my discovery that iMacs give you a LOT more power per dollar than laptops. And they have a HUGE screen. I sometimes miss the portability, but really I'm happy to leave it in one place, all set up and ready to record. I also find it more ergonomical. Did I mention the giant screen? :)

I'm also in the process of changing from hardware to computer (laptop) recording so would be keen to hear opinions. I'm particularly curious about what kind of capacity is needed (in terms of processing power, RAM and hard drive) to run such a system optimally.

The cool thing about the new MacBook Pro is Thunderbolt. It's more than 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0. If it works as advertised, you can purchase a large external hard drive with the Thunderbolt interface and there is no I/O bottleneck. Buy the 128GB flash drive plus a large external drive if you really want to impress the ladies. :cool:

Four(4)GB RAM is standard. Depending on your software requirements, you can bump that up to 8GB.

The new machines are built upon Intel's new Sandy Bridge architecture. You won't have to worry about processing power. KLONK

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tarkus - Standalones can be viable solutions - I know small commercial studios that still record onto Roland VS standalones, and they can export stems to Pro Tools houses so it's not like it's impossible. And committing to computer-based rather than all-in-one comes at an upfront price.

But what you're buying is open-ended upgradeability - future software upgrades, new hardware peripherals, - as well as easier cross-platform compatibility. It opens the door to plug-in only instruments - Ivory, Omnisphere, and others - which cannot be easily matched with hardware. Unless you know what you're doing, successfully recording a real grand piano can be a way more of a time vampire than firing up Ivory.

Also, it can open the door to really useful plugins - I'm still knocked out by PSP Vintage Warmer, which I picked up based on Steve Nathan's recommendation about a month ago on this forum.

You may start with GarageBand, then move to Logic Express, then eventually invest in Logic Studio. Start with a 2-channel USB interface until your needs require a more robust unit with more inputs. You get the idea.

I know you said "laptop" but I thought I'd share my discovery that iMacs give you a LOT more power per dollar than laptops. And they have a HUGE screen. I sometimes miss the portability, but really I'm happy to leave it in one place, all set up and ready to record. I also find it more ergonomical. Did I mention the giant screen? :)

I'm moving by the end of the year (if not by September).

I've just scrapped the Home PC and am looking for portability and economy of space.

I have no Idea what size my new home will be, but I do know it'll be alot smaller than my current residence.

The laptop also gives me a bit more freedom to compose while I'm travelling. To think I almost bought a used Yamaha QY 10 to fill that niche.

The lap-top will also afford me the luxury of working on stuff while on the road.

GarageBand is included. You can pick up other sequencers from $0 to $500. Preferences vary - I use Logic, other people are happy with Digital Performer, Cubase, Reason, Ableton Live etc. You can pick up "lite" versions of many of these for ~$150. Garageband itself is pretty able, but it doesn't do MIDI out (so you can use the Triton to play software instruments, but you can't play the Triton from GarageBand), so if you want to use the hardware synths you'll quickly look elsewhere.

Audio interfaces range from $100 for bare-bones functionality to several thousand $$$. Do you need microphone inputs, phantom power, built-in effects? Then you're probably looking at the $250-500 range.

Extra storage depends on size, speed, extra features (such as redundant drives etc.) - decent external drives start at $100. If you want pro stuff (Glyph etc.) add 50% of the price of consumer models.

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Posted before I saw your response. Given that...

Interface... I'd keep it small:

MOTU Ultralike mk3 Hybrid (firewire and USB2) or Echo AudioFire 4

I'd start with Logic Express and move up to full-blown Logic as needs require.

Even if I had "serious" money, anything more than that isn't going to help me make "better" music, unless I start getting into a seriously well-designed home studio.

-John

I make software noises.

I want the best flexibility I can get with the existing technology.

I want the same flexibility I can get with a stand-alone digital multi-track recording console.

I want a reliable, easy to use system that enables me to record and editand ultimately produce professional quality recordings.

The question still remains how many inputs you'll need, which impacts hardware selection. Will you be recording 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 tracks at a time. If you want flexibility, get several 16 channel FireWire interfaces for many thousands of dollars and 48 tracks of recording and you wont have to worry about not having enough channels for any situation. But I suspect there is a max number of simultaneous recording channels hat you think you'll need, that is some number less than 48. But is it 2, 4, 8, 16?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Of course a giant screen can be hooked up to a laptop :)

Archived