Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Outlook 2000?

I use MS Office 2000 Professional with Outlook for my email. While stupidly trying to update some other sections of Windows (I use 98SE and yeah, yeah, yeah, I know), my Outlook seems to have taken a dump. Now upon startup, it pops up with: "An OLE registration error ocurred. The program is not properly installed. Run Setup again for the program." I don't mind uninstalling and reinstalling Office, but I'd like to back up my emails first. I can't seem to find them though. Anybody know what format they're stored in and where I might be able to find them? Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There should be a file on your c:/ drive with the extension of .pst (Do a wildcard search like *.pst) Chances are there's only one pst file. This is where your emails, contact, calendars, etc are stored in Outlook. Back this up, then when you've reinstalled, restore this file. Hope this helps. Biggus
"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

[quote]Originally posted by Biggus: [b]There should be a file on your c:/ drive with the extension of .pst (Do a wildcard search like *.pst) Chances are there's only one pst file. This is where your emails, contact, calendars, etc are stored in Outlook. Back this up, then when you've reinstalled, restore this file. Hope this helps. Biggus[/b][/quote]Thank you. I found the file and copied it to a CD. Since I didn't use any kind of actual backup command or program, should I just copy it back into the appropriate directory after I reinstall Outlook? BTW, I have tried running Setup several times without uninstalling Outlook first but to no avail. What a PITA. Thanks again.

[quote] I found the file and copied it to a CD. Since I didn't use any kind of actual backup command or program, should I just copy it back into the appropriate directory after I reinstall Outlook? [/quote]That should work, although you'll still have to point Outlook to the file. Try using 'Open', then 'Personal Folders File (PST)', and then path to your pst. Just a note-- Sometimes these PST files can get corrupted, so be careful. Hope this works!
"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Archived