Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brahms guitar!!

GreySeraph

That settles it. I must have a 9 string! :P

Do it! Just give me the word and I'll give you my luthier's number ahaha :P

Hey Grey--sorry to be lookin' at your lady in such a way, but Esperanza is one sexy babe!

Don'tchu be eyein' mah girl. :P

Hey btw Darryn, I REALLY need to hit you up for picks soon. Would you believe that, after losing my favorite 2.0 mm pick, the thinner one has been wearing down quite quickly (I play a LOT on it) and the skunk pick you sent me shattered at one of the seams today from lots of playing with hot hands after 3 hours of straight playing at my church's worship night? I absolutely miss my 2.0 mm mammoth pick! That thing was the ultimate trooper fosho.

Man, I am so sorry to hear that! That Skunk pick was a freebie anyway, so at least you're not losing anything. I have discontinued the Hybrids because I've had a couple other reports of them breaking at the glue joint--not cool. The really crappy thing is that in most cases, the problem didn't show up until a couple months after receiving them--so it seems to be a problem w/ the glue.

Anyway, no such problem with the full ivory, and I've got quite a few 2mm ready to go (seems to be the most popular size).

Oh yeah, maybe you can get Guitar Player magazine to use Esperanza as a centerfold! Y'know, that might not be a bad gimmick--featuring a guitar centerfold in every issue....

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Scott: Definitely we'll trade numbers soon man! Sounds like a lot of fun for sure. Do you also make videos?

I don't have video gear myself, but people have definitely shot videos in the studio, anywhere from one person with a consumer HandyCam to full crews shooting multicam professional videos.

Scott Fraser

Oh yeah, maybe you can get Guitar Player magazine to use Esperanza as a centerfold! Y'know, that might not be a bad gimmick--featuring a guitar centerfold in every issue....

You know, if they asked, I would certainly let them take pictures of her :) Guitar pr0n ftw :)

I don't have video gear myself, but people have definitely shot videos in the studio, anywhere from one person with a consumer HandyCam to full crews shooting multicam professional videos.

Happen to know people for such things? And ever thought of posting your rates up here? I'm sure other guitarists on here would love to do recordings with you

Eight strings. Get help. Seriously. Professional help.

Kidding. Not really my thing, but a pretty cool guitar. Point is, I suck bad enough with six strings. I don't need to spend $10K to suck 33% moire...

It's actually not that hard to get used to. If you can sight read on normal 6 strings, you just treat the high A and low A like extra strings, and know that you'd read them like the A string you're used to (for instance: fifth fret is a D, 8th fret is F, etc)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Oh, I'm sure that I could operate the thing alright. But once I had the opportunity to play a lefty 7-string and discovered that I was playing my same old tired, boring licks, only a fourth lower. The same would be true here, except the boring old licks would be a fifth lower and a fifth higher.

Happen to know people for such things?

I could make inquiries & round up some of the folks who have done video here & elsewhere.

And ever thought of posting your rates up here? I'm sure other guitarists on here would love to do recordings with you

Begging moderatorial indulgence, I charge $60 an hour for tracking, mixing, mastering.

Scott Fraser

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but it FINALLY came in!!!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255107_1967154892085_1039290076_31971652_5626522_n.jpg

Sorry for the low-res. I'll be taking some better photos with a friend this upcoming week! Gosh this thing is so much fun to play! I named her Esperanza, which is a Spanish name that means hope. :)

I Thank God you resurrected this thread (Pun intended)...your new creation is a beauty and you could have called her Eve as she's like from one of your ribs, and will always be close at hand...great pics and glad you love her...can't wait to hear you play her...

Take care, Larryz

I Thank God you resurrected this thread (Pun intended)...your new creation is a beauty and you could have called her Eve as she's like from one of your ribs, and will always be close at hand...great pics and glad you love her...can't wait to hear you play her...

Thanks dude! I'm thankin' God every day for this guitar and the chance to play guitar every chance I can get! (and your statements why to name the guitar Eve are right on the money btw ;) )

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Does the upright positioning of the Cello-Guitar help with Classical-Vibrato technique (moving finger along the length of the string), as opposed to bluesy steel-string and electric vibrato-technique (bending string across the fretboard)?

The Classical-Vibrato approach is awkward for me, partly because I'm just so used to the bluesy style technique; seems that this vertical re-positioning of the instrument- and ones hands- would make it feel more natural and intuitive to me...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Oddly enough I`ve been tinkering with lengthwise vibrato recently. At the level I have it now, it`s subtle and I have other priorities but I defnitely want to experiment more.

Actually, it seems that if you wanted to get percussive that playing position would make it easier to borrow a few things from acoustic bass as well.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well it's funny that you mention vibrato on my brahms guitar, because I find myself doing classical vibrato on my electric all the time! I also can do the bluesy, subtle clapton-esque vibrato as well, but sometimes it feels necessary and tactful :)

I would say it's a bit more of a bother in some respects playing with vibrato because I'm going against the weight of my arm by pulling it, but it's such a negligible problem that I dont care haha. What's great about the sitting position with the brahms is that the weight of my arm holds my finger down on the string so well that I get to use EVEN LESS TENSION than normal, which is awesome for ergonomic purposes.

for both skip and caev: practice doing the vibrato slowly, trying to get an even deviation from the normal pitch without gripping too tightly. Practicing buzz scales can help with this tension control. It's definitely easier to get vibrato from thicker strings than from thinner ones :)

@Skip : I was thinking of that! (the percussive thing). There really isnt much repertoire for the brahms yet, so I'll probably run it by the composition majors @ my university. We'll see how that goes :D

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

A whole video package from my old company was around 800+ perday of shooting. And 400 a day for editing and graphics(simple ) . I did tyrn around within 5 business days . Lighting was extra as was makeup. If you wanted in studio everything included it was flat rate 2200 a day and editing was included.

Lok

I was mainly a sports cameraman . If you watched 2004 Olympics and saw Ariel work that was me over Greece . Video production was a side business .

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Jeez you must be pretty pro still to demand such prices! Got any examples of your work? And would you agree in that most stuff I could find would be cheaper?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Jeez you must be pretty pro still to demand such prices! Got any examples of your work? And would you agree in that most stuff I could find would be cheaper?

This is sort of the guerrilla version of that; two guys with several cameras & a switcher who do a live webcast program. Alan Nakagawa is the main guy & a great chap. Give him a shout about what he might want to charge to shoot a session. Tell him you know me.

Scott Fraser

Alright dude. I'll keep that in mind for sure!

On a separate note, gah I just put my second small ding in the guitar. Good thing both are only at the polish level. :facepalm:

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

On a separate note, gah I just put my second small ding in the guitar. Good thing both are only at the polish level. :facepalm:

Aw dude, now it's a REAL guitar.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Ain't a party til somethin' gets dinged!

I know how it can be; but a few minor incidental "lived-in" "love marks" make it more personal, more "broken-in" (both the instrument, AND yourself, to each other), and... "more vintager"... ;):thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Oh for sure picker and caev. Once I'm a year into this, I'm sure it'll be heavily "loved." But as one so poignantly stated, "the first cut is the deepest." :whistle:

Mods, please dont ban me for that one.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Well it's funny that you mention vibrato on my brahms guitar, because I find myself doing classical vibrato on my electric all the time! I also can do the bluesy, subtle clapton-esque vibrato as well, but sometimes it feels necessary and tactful :)

I would say it's a bit more of a bother in some respects playing with vibrato because I'm going against the weight of my arm by pulling it, but it's such a negligible problem that I dont care haha. What's great about the sitting position with the brahms is that the weight of my arm holds my finger down on the string so well that I get to use EVEN LESS TENSION than normal, which is awesome for ergonomic purposes.

for both skip and caev: practice doing the vibrato slowly, trying to get an even deviation from the normal pitch without gripping too tightly. Practicing buzz scales can help with this tension control. It's definitely easier to get vibrato from thicker strings than from thinner ones :)

@Skip : I was thinking of that! (the percussive thing). There really isnt much repertoire for the brahms yet, so I'll probably run it by the composition majors @ my university. We'll see how that goes :D

Well my next studio outing will be acoustic only. After that I have to work out a couple of (hopefully) inspired solos, that will be a good time to do some more research :thu:

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I was just stating my past business, I could be had as a camera man nowadays with no equipment on my end for like 400$ a day.

I worked primarily for corporations and Infomercials/commercials in them days. But trust me you get what you pay for, I once leased a digital truck for an out door shoot for two days at 30K a day and had four guys set up for the shoot. lets put it this way if you were up at 3 am watching tv you prolly saw a great infomercial for automotive additive.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

$60,000. That's a cheaper Steinway/Bosendorfer/Bluthner grand piano right there. Or a really nice car. Or college tuition lol.

I love how I thought of the musical instrument first :P

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Even on a $10K classical cello-guitar, this is still known as "mojo."

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/cft3/DrEvil.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi GreySeraph,

Sorry to bug you with this and keep digging but I have a question. Why did you decide to go that route with the end-pike. The whole idea behind it with resonance is that the strings are actually tying to it, not the bridge, so you have direct string-to-pike transmission which increases volume quite a bit, in other words you are losing the whole effect of having it there, sure there will be amplification, but that will happen if you just make sure the guitar is touching a table while being played :)That's the reason for that nut being brass and strings tying to it. I am just trying to figure out what is what as I am planning on tackling making one myself ;), electric (just fanned/multi, not the brahms) and later acoustic (this one most likely brahms).

ahh and btw, the tonravoz will have no effect on feedback (at most it will change the dominant resonant freq but not whether it resonates or not). If it's mic'd then it's the mic and the monitors that are causing the feedback, the guitar is just a trigger(the body will work as an amp, but it's what's happening between the monitors and mics that is the cause here). If it's pup'ed, then the strings are the irritants (sound from the monitor will irritate the string and cause it to resonate which will be picked up by the pup and added to the original source coming from the monitor (and in acoustics same sounds amplify, unless reverse phases, which is what that phase inverse switch is doing), hence why sometimes even if you put your hand over the strings. There are many reasons for feedback but the tornavoz is not one of them... Of course you can always slap a feedback destroyer in your signal chain :)

Archived