Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Poll--Rush Limbaugh - A Drug Addict's Punishment

Ok, we all know by now that Rush Limbaugh is an admitted drug addict. He claims he had pain and had to go into the street to get his umm "medicine." Oxycontin is sometimes called "drug store herion." So, Rush, like so many other professionals, is addicted to dope. He has advocated taking herion addicts' locking them up, and throwing way the key. Given, that Rush meets his own standard, should he be locked up? A "Yes" vote means lock Rush up like other criminal addicts. A "No' vote means that you believe in decriminalizing drug addiction, that it should be a health issue, and that, perhaps, treatment is the better alternative.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
regardless of how much of an idiot he was in saying addicts should be tossed in jail and toss away the key. No addict should be jailed. addiction is a horrid demon of oppression. its has no repect for race creed or color or finacial background. addiction needed to be helped. as a former drug addict and alcoholic (15 yrs ago) who was a miserable piece of crap and useless as a person, people need another chance. now as to the drug dealers.. those are who i would like see jailed and toss away and i was one. but hey even they can be reformed! Scott

Having taken Oxycontin through prescription for six months, I can tell you how effective this is. And nasty. And addictive. The withdrawal symptoms, even when taking them under doctor's approval and supervision, are quite nasty. Aches, shakes, nausea, and general weirdness. I was taking it for extreme lower back problems. I got off the stuff in February of this year and am grateful.

jcskid, Glad you were able to go straight. I like your position on this subject. :thu: That said, the fact is that today, in the USA, drug abuse is a crime. Rush should not be held above the law just because he's rich and famous. Maybe if he does some hard time, he'll use his position and his influence and his BIG MOUTH to affect change in our country's antiquated drug laws, the laws that make dealers and street gangs rich and erode neighborhoods in every state. Drugs suck.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Johnny, Drug addiction is not a crime. Purchasing, selling or being in possession of illegal drugs is a crime. I agree that Rush is a gasbag, but he may indeed be eating humble pie (along with a lot of pizzas) while pondering his outbursts of self-righteousness regarding drug addiction. Will he ever change his stance? Probably not. Will his loyal 'ditto-heads' ever think of him as anything other than a hero and role-model for his finally 'coming clean'? Probably not. Would he have come clean without being investigated for purchasing illegal prescription drugs? Probably not. Will he be back on the air in a number of weeks/months spouting off about how he (insert theme from Ben Hur here) has Conquered The Evils Of A Liberal-Based Smear Campaign On His Personal Trials And Tribulations? No doubt. Having said that, my sympathies lie with ANYONE with an addiction, be it alcohol, prescription drugs, nicotine, caffeine, illegal street drugs, violence, spousal abuse, food, etc. An addiction means that the addict's FREE WILL is compromised. That's enough for me. Anyone willing to undergo the pain (be it physical or psychological) to break that addiction deserves support, maybe not for their political ideas or affiliation, but for their struggle with their own personal demons. Wait until it's a fair fight. Kick Rush when he's on his feet. I'll lend you my boots. Until then, don't stoop to his level. Peace, Tim from Jersey :thu:
Play. Just play.

[quote]Originally posted by jcskid: [b] No addict should be jailed. addiction is a horrid demon of oppression. its has no repect for race creed or color or finacial background. addiction needed to be helped. [/b][/quote]Thank you. You saved me the trouble of saying it. What you are asking is should we all pass judgement on Rush the way he has passed judgement on others. Correct? I thought we had established that Rush is a hypocrite. Do we need to re-establish that?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

There are some good comments here from both perspectives. Rush had to possess illegal drugs to use them and keep his habbit going. Rush had to go buy those illegal drugs on the street, I believe he was scoring his drugs from his housekeeper. There's no question that Rush broke the criminal law. Some seem to advocate running him thru the typical drug-addict criminal process hoping that he will become more enlightened and spread that enlighted view on the public's airwaves. Some believe that liberals and democrats are seizing on Rush's violation of the criminal law, and are kicking him when he's down. I'd personally be more sumpathetic to that view if Rush never kicked anyone when they were down. But Rush not only kicked them, he beat their dead body too. Others, seem to think that he should not get special treatment, get off on a technicality simply because he is a rich celeb. They seem to feel that there should be equal justice treatment under the law and that no man is above the law. But you are all free to make your comments and feelings known and you can go ahead and vote.

I think we are trying to set his politics aside, other than to notice that he is a rich media celeb and has made his tough on drug addict position known. I'm not saying we have to agree with his position. Perhaps, it is the ultimate irony. Mr. Wow, I thought the National Enquirer was part of Rupert Murdoch's monopoly in media, the same guys who give you "fair and balanced" on Fox. Anyway, for the purposes of discussion, it does not matter since Ruch Limbaugh publicly admitted he is a drug addict. Given that he is a criminal, what if any punishment should he get? It could be severe jail treatment, 20 years. Or, it could be that Rush Limbaugh has to wear an orange jump suit and pick up garbage along the freeway. It's all up you good people, go ahead and vote.

[quote] Given that he is a criminal, what if any punishment should he get? [/quote]You dont know what the details are, neither do I. Most people go to the Enquirer because reputable sources have turned them down, and with todays "news" standards, it makes me wonder what she really has on him, if anything.

Well whatever it is, it was enough to force him to take to the airwaves and make his public admission that he is a drug addict. Then he ran off to some clinic for the cure and to avoid immediate prosecution. It will look better in court if has done something, probably in a luxary, hotel-resort-like setting. Otherwise the one with "talent on loan from God" would risk the possiblilty of being treated like the common folk and going to a lesser, no-star-rated, facility. Even jail or a sleazebag rehab located in worst section of town. But you folks can vote, or state your own view of how Rush's criminal activity should be punished, if at all. Now, if you were a politican and you suggested that treatment would be a viable option, your opponents would say you were "soft on crime." I think it is still a hotbutton issue to remind people that there is still a "War on Drugs." Just something to bear in mind when voting here.

[quote] . Then he ran off to some clinic [/quote]How do we know he is in a clinic? He could be in jail for all I know. He could have left the country. I have no idea. I do know that his show is already pushin' the Rush "return". We will see.

[quote]Originally posted by Wow: [b] [quote] Given that he is a criminal, what if any punishment should he get? [/quote]You dont know what the details are, neither do I. Most people go to the Enquirer because reputable sources have turned them down, and with todays "news" standards, it makes me wonder what she really has on him, if anything.[/b][/quote]That isn't always the case. Many people go to the tabloids because they will pay for an exclusive story. Most so-called legitimate papers don't pay for this; at least not as much as the tabs will pay.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

If it were ANY one of US here on this forum, we would be prosecuted. If you believe that the drug laws are unfair, write to your Congressman. But until the law is changed, it should be applied equitably. - Justice wears a blindfold, does she not? - Let Rush off, and you're applying O.J. justice, i.e. the law applies to everyone equally, except the rich and famous, who can get away with murder. Literally.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Johnny B: [b]Now, if you were a politican and you suggested that treatment would be a viable option, your opponents would say you were "soft on crime." [/b][/quote]Hence our drug laws, and the way prisons are set up. Screw what people think. Always vote your heart.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

People addicted to medicines are different from those addicted to marijuana, heroin and cocaine. People are addicted to sedatives and sleeping pills, and aren't in pain like Rush is. Like thousands of liberals you probably would defend. We can't really handle liquor, so no to legalizing drugs. My brother was ruined by simple marijuana, so to hell with anyone wanting legalization. Furthermore, there are tens of thousands of people who turn themselves in to programs for help with addiction. I suppose you compassionate people want them shot too.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

The basics as I see them. 1. The drug war is the worst war that the US has ever had. When a user has the 'criminal' tag put upon them, they will almost never seek medical intervention. To do so would brand them as a criminal and make them unemployable to most every serious employer. The only employers left are the ones who use the criminal tag as an excuse to underpay and overwork those who would seek help. 2. Imprisonment is extremely expensive and a huge waste of taxpayer monies (between $25k and $50k per year) for users. Treatment without the 'criminal' tag is more compasionate and less expensive. Even when there are relapses, if the treatment option were more available, those who are addicted would be far more likely to seek help on their own. 3. Families are devestated by addiction. There will always be an adverse nature to addition. Keep in mind that if a family member can cope with addiction, get treatment and become responsible, productive and provide for a family after treatment this serves two very positive results. First, the other family members can see that treatment is the best path (addiction is often repeated in families). Second, when society help folks overcome their weakness and illness rather than punish them (and their families) we are all the better for it. The children of addicts often become anti-social after the imprisonment of the parent(s). This only perpetuates the legacy of addiction. Should Rush be treated better that others, NO! Should those with abuse problem be treated as well as Rush, NO! They should be treated better. Rush can afford treatment, most addicts cannot.

[quote]Originally posted by Sir Basil: [b] My brother was ruined by simple marijuana, so to hell with anyone wanting legalization. [/b][/quote]My Dad was addicted to simple BEER. His addiction indirectly cost him his life, when I was 23. Should we criminalize that? What about gambling? People get addicted to that all of the time. Should we criminalize gambling? Cigarettes... Anybody here smoke??? ([i]you fucking criminals... :evil: )[/i]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I sincerely feel for anyone caught up in the throes of any kind of addiction; regardless of their ideology. However I do hope that Rush gets the help he needs as well as the same kind of treatment anyone else would have to get in his situation. And that includes criminal prosecution. I also hope that this incident makes many of his followers take a closer look at the perils of drug abuse, as well as a closer look at Rush's propoganda on other subjects.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Unfortunately, Johnny, you handed me a question with multiple possible answers, but only two choices. I do believe in decriminalization. The Controlled Substances act and all the legislation put in place to support it is easily the most despicable series of oppressive laws ever laid upon the American Public (the HSA is closing in rapidly, however) This is where the Libertarian screams out in me. We have always, throughout the history of this nation, had the right to make stupid decisions, and the responsibility to suffer the consequences of those decisions. If I (to borrow from the Darwin awards a few years back) decide to climb up into the undercarraige of a truck moving 55mph down the freeway, I can do that. If I die because the driveshaft catches my shirt and crushes me like a twig, that's my responsibility. Same deal with drug usage. If I decide that I want to go get strung out on speedballs, so be it. If I die of a heart attack, oh well. Sucks being me. If I decide to get wasted (regardless of the substance) and get behind the wheel of my car, so be it. If I kill someone on the way to my destination, I am on trial for manslaughter. I pay for my stupidity. The problem with the Controlled Substances Act (and many, many other laws put in place in the last 90 years) is that suddenly, the decision to do something stupid is met with criminal liabilities, rather than the simple responsibility (and possible criminal liabilities) of the end result of the decision. I can guarantee you that the simplification of our legal system leaving criminal consequence to the end result of an action, rather than the initiation thereof (i.e. assault with a deadly weapon and/or 1st degree murder instead of DUI) would radically change our legal landscape, simultaneously unclogging our courts and prisons and drastically altering the way we interact with one another within the society. Think about how much more careful we all would be if we knew that our stupid decisions could result in much more than embarassment, "slaps on the wrist", and other such inconveniences. Think about how much more efficient our law enforcement system would be if officers could spend their time investigating actual crimes instead of engaging in futile efforts to prevent crimes that haven't really happened yet.

I took Vicoden for 2 days after busting a rib last summer dirt biking. After 2 days, I felt like crap without it. Stomahc ache, shakes....bad news... I cannot stand Rush Limbaugh, but, I think he should get a shot... And, I think there a lot of normal folk locked up that should not be that should have gotten the chance that Rush will prolly get.

[b]Originally posted by Dan South: If it were ANY one of US here on this forum, we would be prosecuted. If you believe that the drug laws are unfair, write to your Congressman. But until the law is changed, it should be applied equitably. - Justice wears a blindfold, does she not? - Let Rush off, and you're applying O.J. justice, i.e. the law applies to everyone equally, except the rich and famous, who can get away with murder. Literally.[/b] Dan, I will not defend Rush. However, and this is a serious question, do addicts normally go to prison? I know here in Oregon there is no law I could find that says it is against the law to be an addict. It certainly is against the law to posses illegal drugs, but most of the criminal penalties are for those who sell illegal drugs. All politics aside, is it common to jail addicts that are only guilty of possession? And if they are jailed, for how long? I do believe a conviction for possession of dope or cocain here is something like 24 hours in jail if no other crime has been committed. Again, I do not support Rush. He is an obvious hypocrite. However, he should be treated the same as other addicts who are not criminals..don't you think? The City of Portland lets them live for free in "Dignity Village" and provides them with free methodone. Maybe a couple weeks at the village and some good government supplied substitute drug would do Rush wonders...

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound: [b] Maybe a couple weeks at the village and some good government supplied substitute drug would do Rush wonders...[/b][/quote]Ahhh, yes.... Send him to the Village. [img]http://calwestray.tripod.com/images/prisoner_village_bw.jpg[/img] [img]http://wso.williams.edu/~mhacker/Prisoner/question.gif[/img] [i]'Be seeing you...'[/i]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

jail an addict? - no jail someone who goes to their doctor and says, "I feel like I can't live without these pills you got me on. Help me." - no jail someone for buying drugs illegally/possession of those drugs? - yes (which should carry manidatory drug treatment if the convicted person is deemed to have an "addiction" (different from "abuse" by physical characteristics and the interfering in one's life).)

I say let Rush take more Oxy......in fact up his dose, that way the tongue will be looser, and the veil will drop more and more. :) No I'm not that evil to wish that on anyone. Though the bastard sure talked his way into a corner with this one. Seriously.......having said that, I do hope he gets better. I know addiction and its like losing time, right there on the edge....all the while thinking about finding a way to be with your lover (drug of choice). Get well Limbaugh......you bastard! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived