Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Moore is dead

Ross Brown

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear of his passing.

I've seen this on three forums so far, and apparently I'm the only one who knows him from his amazing work with 70's fusion act Coloseum II. I didn't even know about his Thin Lizzy and solo work until a few months ago, when I had to cover some of that material for a sub gig! I laughed when I realized it was the same guy -- what a change in career direction! But I admire that work as well. He was always musical and his phrasing was impeccable.

Of course, and on topic for a bass forum, he also worked closely with Greg Lake for awhile.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Interesting. Just watched a couple of Colosseum II vids on Youtube. Very Jeff Beck Blow-By-Blow-ish, produced right around the same time. I like this stuff better than any other GM stuff I've ever heard, just sorry I'm only learning about it now.

Just heard it a few hours ago. Terrible news, especially at so young an age! I got to know Gary Moore through Uriah Heep, actually: at one point in the '80s they had a singer called John Sloman (terribly underestimated singer) and he did a Japanese tour with Gary Moore, of which an album was released. Then I heard "Still Got The Blues" which I guess is what he will be remembered for.

I always wanted to check out the Coloseum and Coloseum II albums, because Mark Clarke of (again) Uriah Heep plays bass with this band, I believe. Haven't got around to it, though.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

a local venue here just announced Thin Lizzy's appearance next month. I wasn't even aware they were still touring, but without Phil Lynott it wouldn't be the same. Hard to believe they could continue now. 58 is too young.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

More people talking about the Coloseum II days now, and someone on the Keyboard forum posted these YouTube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWgNmv6Tjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXKm7lK48WA

I had totally forgotten about the Uriah Heap connection -- thanks for the reminder. Gary Moore's influence was really felt in a lot of places across the musical spectrum, which is so often the case with extremely gifted musicians.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sadness.

A great musician gone too soon.

I still have my Colosseum II albums, and some of his early solo stuff.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

He also did solo work with the Traveling Wilbury's, and did work with George Harrison. We do "Oh Pretty Woman" and "Walkin By Myself". I think he's one of those guys that most people don't know anything about, and others know some. He had a big reach within the music world.

Archived