Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new band....

Ross Brown

It looks like we may have the makings of a good band. I found a drummer that showed up with way more drums than he should have. I thought to myself this dude is compensating Nope, I was wrong. Great frinkin drummer. Nice guy too and he wants to play with me.

Also had a guitar player that I have know of for years but never met. He agreed to join us but wanted to have a second guitar in the band. I found a second guitar player.

We got together last week and it went well except that the second guitar player played all night at volume 11. We asked him to turn down, he fiddled with knobs, but it never got any quieter. He had great chops but we all jumped him about the volume (nicely) and he decided not to return. Then I got an e mail from a random person asking if we were still looking for a guitarist. I said yes, sent the audition song list and asked if they could come in a few days to the next rehearsal. Yep. It was a hoot because she was a female. It never crossed my mind and I could not tell from her name. (I never ask about gender or age, cause I dont care). I was a little embarrassed that I was caught off guard but I got over it. She played very well and everyone seemed to like her. She has lots of previous band and gigging experience with good bands. She is interested in coming back. Nice

Seems like we found a group of folks all interested in the same thing. This will be fun.

Now we need a band name.. if I could just think of someplace to look for a long list of possible band names.

:laugh:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going for stuff that we can play and people dance to. In the bluesish, electric bluesish, country rock sorta way. Shooting for carnival/festival venues, some club venues too, if they'll have us. We want to be a good show and good music. We all want to have fun. Simple... ehh?

Yes, Mrs Brown on vocals. Everyone sings but she blows us away... The others are interested in working on vocal harmonies. Cool. We will all take a couple/few songs on lead just to keep it fresh.

I am band leader for now...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Good for you. Glad to hear it.

Since it's your band how about

The Brown Notes

Brown & Down

The Brownies

Shall I continue? No? OK then.

Brown and Down.... Hmmmmm...

Down Brownies- a ZZ Top reference?

Good on ya! Finding the right folks is tough, but it sounds like you're getting there

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

The Brown Notes

Brown & Down

The Brownies

EAST Brown & Down...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The Brown Notes

Brown & Down

The Brownies

EAST Brown & Down...

Guitared up and pluckin......

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

You refering to our loss of one of the guitar players?

We lost one last night. Just not a good fit for her. Not sure why, she wouldn't say. Very gracious, but not right for her.

I assume she hated my bass playing :laugh:, other guitar assumed she didn't like him :laugh:. Drummer was glad she quit now instead of a week before our first gig. My wife was sad to see her go. They got along well.

Rest of the band is strong. :thu: Plan to rehearse again next week to examine and discuss what exactly we will look for in a replacement, etc.

Good of her to quit so early, then. Sometimes there's no reason other than it just doesn't seem like the right thing at the right time, I guess.

We discussed adding a keyboard player to the band several times now. I still think we can do fine as a 4-piece but I guess it adds some diversity to the sound. Thing is, most songs so far were picked with a keys player in mind. We may need to rethink our strategy.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived