Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh Yngwie...

GreySeraph

In my arrogant opinion he's Pamela Anderson of the guitar world.

Oh now you did it, you unleashed the f*****g boobies...

LOL!

...bleh. hairy man-tots. -_-;;

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've also jammed with a couple of classical musicians (Montreal Symphony) who were completely useless without sheet music.

That's something that baffles me, too. My son plays violin very well, gets scholarships to go to Baldwin Wallace College every year for a week of String Camp. When I ask him to play something just for fun, like "Crazy Train," he says he needs sheet music. I'm sure I give him a cross-eyed look when I tell him "Just wing it!" I mean, I can read sheet music (learned on it, easier than reading tab for me), but it's so much more fun to be able to whip out a tune on the fly and much more satisfying to just figure something out on your own.

Of course, the black dots and such are probably too repetitious for Yngwie...

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

I've also jammed with a couple of classical musicians (Montreal Symphony) who were completely useless without sheet music.

That's something that baffles me, too. My son plays violin very well, gets scholarships to go to Baldwin Wallace College every year for a week of String Camp. When I ask him to play something just for fun, like "Crazy Train," he says he needs sheet music. I'm sure I give him a cross-eyed look when I tell him "Just wing it!" I mean, I can read sheet music (learned on it, easier than reading tab for me), but it's so much more fun to be able to whip out a tune on the fly and much more satisfying to just figure something out on your own.

Improvisation is not part of classical training at all. I work with top drawer classical players all the time & improvisation just does not enter into the equation ever, it is way out of their comfort zone. OTOH the s**t they can sight read is truly astounding. Different training.

Scott Fraser

I played mandolin at a church in the Village with the pastor's kids, who were classically trained on violin, viola and cello - budding professionals in fact. I loved it! We were just playing hymns - nothing virtuoso required of me, LOL! Good sight reading practice though, and once in a while I got to improvise something. It sounded great - wonderful acoustics in that little hole in the wall!

I can confirm that, in spite of their excellent sight reading and technical skills - and very good ears and rhythm - they were terrified of improvising. I think it was quite funny, actually. I told them they were wimps on occasion.... why they didn't kill me, I'm not sure - I guess 'cause we were in church, LOL.

I told them they were wimps on occasion.... why they didn't kill me, I'm not sure - I guess 'cause we were in church, LOL.

They were probably secretly praying for lightning to strike your seat.

Improvisation is not part of classical training at all. I work with top drawer classical players all the time & improvisation just does not enter into the equation ever, it is way out of their comfort zone. OTOH the s**t they can sight read is truly astounding. Different training.

No doubt that is extremely impressive, being able to see a complex piece of music for the first time and be able to play it but it just seems limited, as if just one side of the coin. Now, for a profession that is definitely an asset, but you'd think someone with that much talent and experience would also have the ability to take the music they hear and duplicate it with their insturment. Maybe right-brain vs. left-brain stuff?

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Being able to improvise music isn't a prized, or even useful skill in some styles and disciplines of music. And, that makes a certain amount of sense when you're talking about artists of the stature of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. It's kind of egotistical to think you might improve on their compositions, especially off the top of your head.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

But Bach, Beethoven and Mozart all improvised on themes - it was expected, and part of THEIR training! Back then this "improvisation phobia" didn't exist!

And Liszt & Chopin were superstars of improvisation. It was a big part of musical training in the Baroque era, but gradually lost prominence as the cult of the star composer took over in the Classical & Romantic eras. At this point it's a forgotten skill among conservatory trained musicians.

Scott Fraser

But Bach, Beethoven and Mozart all improvised on themes - it was expected, and part of THEIR training! Back then this "improvisation phobia" didn't exist!

And Liszt & Chopin were superstars of improvisation. It was a big part of musical training in the Baroque era, but gradually lost prominence as the cult of the star composer took over in the Classical & Romantic eras. At this point it's a forgotten skill among conservatory trained musicians.

Hey, to some degree, at least among purists, it's kind of the same with jazz and blues music. It ain't the real stuff if you don't play those Albert King/BB King/Freddie King/Robert Johnson/Miles Davis/Jaco Pastorius/etc. licks exactly like they did. History always repeats itself, we're heading the same direction as classical did.

When any style of music becomes as entrenched and has as much history to it as classical, performing it becomes an exercise in precise reproduction, not personal expression. What I think is really sad for the classical guys now, what was improvising has become composition, and their compositions have to compete against hundreds of years of compositions by the giants of their style. Yo Yo Ma is an amazing musician, but do you think anyone will remember any of his personal compositions in a hundred years?

Just came across this story in one one of my fave science magazines and it fits in kinda with the discussion you guys are ahving (and mentions Mozart and Liszt being ace improvisers).

http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/the_improvisational_brain/

But many of the early classical composersMozart, Beethoven, Bach, Lisztwere also known for improvising entire portions of their concerts. Liszt had a penchant for soliciting musical themes from his audience. Before a show, anyone could jot down a few bars of melody on a piece of paper. Some were original. Others were bits of recognizable tunes from the time, a popular symphony or aria. Liszt would then pull one of these melodies out of a hat and use it as a launching point. Hed reharmonize it or play it backwards, always wresting from it a spirited improvisation that could last for several minutes.

You guys may not be old enough to remember Gary Ritchrath, but he had the same 'tude "I can play fast and you can't, so don't try".

And it's interesting to note that the general public will immediately recognize names like Clapton, Beck, and Hendrix. If you say "Yngwie Malmsteen" to them, they'll reply, "Gesundheit!"

There is no "last guitar."

Interesting article p90jr. We can only imagine what it was like in the age of the great composers. It's good to hear that at least one classically trained musician is trying to bring improvisation back into the fold. Although I love the genre (especially the great symphonies and concertos) it has become a victim of it's own success in many ways. Didn't Frank Zappa rail against the culture of classical music back in the 70s? I believe it was the basis of his recordings with the London Symphony.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

I simply CAN NOT listen to Yngwie....But thanks p90jr, for turning me on to Richard Thompson! He looks as old as me, but I can't figure why I never heard him......?

You're quite welcomed...

I had always heard the name and read about him as a kid, mostly because of his older band Fairport Convention, then the "Shoot Out The Lights" record came out in 1982 and the local college radio station latched onto it. Great songwriter and an imaginative guitarist.

Interesting article p90jr. We can only imagine what it was like in the age of the great composers. It's good to hear that at least one classically trained musician is trying to bring improvisation back into the fold. Although I love the genre (especially the great symphonies and concertos) it has become a victim of it's own success in many ways. Didn't Frank Zappa rail against the culture of classical music back in the 70s? I believe it was the basis of his recordings with the London Symphony.

Yeah... the snobby culture that has been built up around classical music does tend to suffocate or block any interest "regular folk" have in it.

But it`s interesting how things come full circle sometimes. I mean, the older meaning of `popular` is more like, favored by the rabble. This was before mass marketing brought wealth to its purveyors. Now most members on this forum-if I am guessing right-would not consider themselves among the elite socioeconomically but almost no discussion is complete without a thorough thrashing of popular music-I`m no exception.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That was because the culture of classical music back in the 70's was one of very much sneering at rock music and not taking it seriously, which cost Frank several thousand dollars of wasted money when hiring the London Symphony to perform his work, of which he despised the result.

Being able to improvise music isn't a prized, or even useful skill in some styles and disciplines of music. And, that makes a certain amount of sense when you're talking about artists of the stature of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. It's kind of egotistical to think you might improve on their compositions, especially off the top of your head.

Something like this?
Take care, Larryz

I simply CAN NOT listen to Yngwie....But thanks p90jr, for turning me on to Richard Thompson! He looks as old as me, but I can't figure why I never heard him......?

That's exactly what I was thinking - great open-sounding track players with him also.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

The band in the Richard Thompson clip are Elvis Costello and his long-time band The Imposters (which is his longer-time band The Attractions with the substitution of ex-Cracker/Faragher Brothers bassist Davey Faragher for Bruce Thomas).

I'm glad to turn you guys on to Thompson... but I'm curious as to how guitarists could avoid hearing about him... I guess he is basically a cult-artist, but he made that controversial Rolling Stone list of 100 greatest guitarists:

1Jimi Hendrix

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

3 B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

5 Robert Johnson

6 Chuck Berry

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

8 Ry Cooder

9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones

11Kirk Hammett of Metallica

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

14 Jeff Beck

15 Carlos Santana

16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones

17 Jack White of the White Stripes

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

19 Richard Thompson

20 James Burton

I had read about it a lot before hearing him - on the radio - and being hooked... but he was on major or bigger indie labels and usually turns up on the late night TV/PBS - Austin City Limits circuit when he puts something out.

But still, this is probably why he should grace the pages of GP more often: those of us who love him would love to see and read it and I'm sure there's new fans in guitar land to be made.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

I just gotta laugh whenever I see the jealousy in written word on these posts. I have been following Yngwie since around 1983 and it is always the same. The real Performing guitarists are always in awe of him. Then of course there are the ones that don't really play(how could they? They all have Platinum and 10,0000K status on this board)that love to talk smack about him even and have the gall to say he is repetitive. I bet NONE of those saying that could play any of those supposedly easy repetitions. I'll leave you wannabe's back to your posting. There must be some New smart alecky sayings you can bore us all with as well as your monotonous Avatars. You have too much time on your hands guys! I am not in Yngwies league but I guarantee I am better than any of you. I put the work in for years. I was so busy I didn't have enough time to be top dog on a silly web site. Your days in the garage bands are long over. Now you are old, jealous and angry. I bet all of you collect guitars though, thinking maybe someday you can get off of the internet long enough to actually play one of 'em

A troll with a mullet, no doubt.
And a scale he's worked for years to be able to play at warp speed. He's probably better than me...at playing that scale...maybe at other things, too. Not that I'll be awake nights worrying about not being as good as him...or Yngwie...

Archived