Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh Yngwie...

GreySeraph

GP: Your rhythm playing is often overlooked. Was rhythm something you practiced as much as soloing?

YJM: No, I never practiced anything. Ever. Practice means repetition, and I don't like to play the same thing over and over.

Cool troll bro.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/bdubs2594/1255310099745.png

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried the "I never practice anything, it interferes with my creativity" routine with my jazz flute teacher and mandolin teacher - and bandleaders in assorted church bands.

Somehow, it doesn't seem to fly with any of them.... maybe one day if I SPROUT WINGS, they'll buy it! LOL

I think it's his attempt at eliminating future competition.

Don't be silly, kids - you don't have to practice at all - either you can play or you can't... practice has nothin to do with it.

YEAH RIGHT! :crazy:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Well I hafta admit, he does say a different dumb thing every time someone interviews him.

Therein lies his creativity, his truly original genius. Most dweebs say the same idiotic thing over & over. Yngwie has fresh idiocy every time he opens his yap.

Scott Fraser

Yeah. Way to encourage young would-be musicians to put effort into their craft. :freak:

I can see reasoning behind that. I never encouraged my kids to play or practice the guitar. One is going to be an engineer and the other wants to be an accountant.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Players like Yngwie are not normal people and don't think the same way we do...assuming we are normal - which could be subject to debate.

Never liked him much and find him to be a boring show-off with minimal feel but he does have talent if you can get past the bs.

In my arrogant opinion he's Pamela Anderson of the guitar world.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Players like Yngwie are not normal people and don't think the same way we do...assuming we are normal - which could be subject to debate.

Never liked him much and find him to be a boring show-off with minimal feel but he does have talent if you can get past the bs.

I defer. He doesn't have tits :P

edit: but I guess, in your defense, he doesn't have huevos either ;)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

This comparison is extremely unfair to Pamela Anderson's guitar playing reputation.

Agreed.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

This comparison is extremely unfair to Pamela Anderson's guitar playing reputation.

Agreed.

I'm glad you guys qualified the reputation in question there. I was starting to wonder if ol' Yng-ie had gotten silicone implants to his guitar or something. And, I don't want to know if there is a sex video of Yngwie floating around the internet somewhere...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Actually I was joking about PA - she seems to be really intelligent but does come up with the odd really stupid remark during interviews.

Perhaps the guys doing the interviews also have their thoughts elsewhere and are mis-quoting in the mag articles or newspapers.

where in Yngwie's track record you finding that we can give him the benefit of the doubt? lol...

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Let's contrast Yngwie's quote with a quote from someone whose playing and music (and attitude and interviews) I enjoy infinitely more...

I've enjoyed reading Malcolm Gladwell's new book, The Outliers. In it, he looks at reasons people are successful in their fields, and his findings are frequently at odds with commonly held beliefs. He quotes from a study of high-achieving classical music students, which found that without exception the most successful musicians, who went on to have high profile careers, were the ones that did the most practice. It was nothing to do with being 'gifted', although that may ultimately distinguish the brilliant from the excellent. Studying various fields, Gladwell found the magic number of 10,000 hours - if you did something for that long, you would master it. Now that's about 20 hours a week for 10 years. So I don't think there are short cuts, just play what you want to end up playing, practise your scales, and if you want to play something fast, slow it right down first, and look at the mechanics of what you're doing.

- Richard Thompson

Maybe some day Thompson will get cover stories in GP...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJKnk09YuQU

Many far better guitarists than him practice many hours a day. Which is why they're far better guitarists, I guess.

But I can't get past the "repetition" thing. He hates to repeat things? What if he's on tour? Does he come up with a batch of new tunes for every stop on the tour? He wouldn't have TIME to practice if that's the case. With a name like Yngwie, he must take after his parents.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

It's pretty much an accepted fact that roughly 3% make it to the top level in any field, music, business, politics, whatever.

The question would be: How should we define success - $$$, ability or both ?

I was fortunate enough to work with a few known artists when younger and can honestly state that none of them were dummies & most of them were also exceptional people.

Good question. Easier to answer as far as business goes. Money. But in music, well...

Some might say money as well, while others may submit the notion of when one reaches a level of musicianship that surpasses many of one's peers.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Here's another one to think about: I've worked with some nice people in business and I've also worked with a few Clients who were complete pigs.

All of them were very rich but the pigs had more money. I always thought it sucked and was unfair but I don't make the rules, I just play the game.

On the music side my impression is that the guys who got there in pop and rock anyways had better feel, phrasing & time than those who didn't. I've also jammed with a couple of classical musicians (Montreal Symphony) who were completely useless without sheet music.

lol larryz, rrk2's post looks like he's spamming. It's got nothing to do with the original topic and he's got (probably) malware-infested links to seinfeld videos, which also has nothing to do with guitar. There's been a lot of spammy posts on GP lately...

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived