Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lookin' for guidance: mixdown and mastering

[quote]Originally posted by LanceMo: [b] I emailed an MP3 of a song called "Light" to all youz guys who posted on this thread. Lemme know what you think. Good or bad. But especially the GOOD![/b][/quote]Hey, happy 100 posts... Send one of those tunes my way. I'd like to hear it. I'll PM you an email. Thanks!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b] [quote]Originally posted by LanceMo: [b] I emailed an MP3 of a song called "Light" to all youz guys who posted on this thread. Lemme know what you think. Good or bad. But especially the GOOD![/b][/quote]Hey, happy 100 posts... Send one of those tunes my way. I'd like to hear it. I'll PM you an email. Thanks![/b][/quote]Yo Super8. Should be a tune in your mailbox. And Kylen, if you're around I sent you another tune but it didn't go through for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
It's done! Well the mixing is done. To you guys who said it would take a lot longer than 2 weeks to mix it: you were right! My brother totally saved my arse on it by pointing out the high end on the guitars on this one. As it turns out there was too much high end on just about all the guitars. I ended using the the track EQ in SONAR 3 and went around 3db down with a high end shelf from 2.10 up. Using reference CDs I noticed that a lot of the screaming high guitar bends will have the top end moved down. Anyhow, I'm really happy with the mixes as of tonight and if there is a significant improvement through mastering than HOT DAMN I'm gonna be a happy camper. Kylen, I tried that Ultrafunk thing on the spoken voices but didn't really understand how it worked haha. I pretty much left the voices alone.

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard: [b]Related question: Do you find that reverb seems to be diminished after compressing your final mix?[/b][/quote]Hey Geenard, I didn't compress my final mix. I'm leaving that to the mastering engineer. I was conservative with reverb, using just a touch on things. I mean as little as possible where you can still hear it. I used more delays that thump with the rythym but again, way low in the mix. The 3 dimensional aspect that Griffinator talked about above is interesting. My EQ skills are definitely better (the top to bottom aspect), my panning (left to right aspect) is probably still iffy. I'm not sure why I would want to put one instrument 67% left and not 37% left, and ambience (the depth aspect) I don't feel great about. It's so easy to ruin a song with too much reverb and delay. I kept it as dry as possible to be safe. And still, it's by no means dry.

• 4 months later...
:D :D :D :D :D Finally this CD is being duplicated and packaged! Kylen, I thought you were nutz when you said to expect it to take a lot longer to mix but it turns out you were eggsactly right! Thanks so much for all your help. Ken and Halljams, you guys saved like 3 songs with advice about using the multi-band compressor (different thread). I put some tunes up on [url=http://www.broadjam.com]broadjam.com[/url] if you wanna hear the final product. You gotta search for DoubleLight in the ARTIST category. Hope you find something you like! EDIT: Actually, if you click on [url=http://www.broadjam.com/doublelight]THIS[/url] it should take you there directly.

Archived