Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All my Teac CDR's ruined.

WTF? All of my Teac brand audio CDR's are ruined. When I play them in my CD player they barely play with tons of pops and crackles, and my computer won't even read them. I'm pissed!!!!! They're only about 3-4 years old. I always store them carefully in jewel cases. They're not scratched. I know Teac may not be the industry leader of CDR's, but these weren't exactly the cheapest, either. Anyone else have this problem with this brand? Is this common with many brands? I thought CD's were supposed to be durable. Ha.
I have no homepage.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's strange that ALL of them would be screwed up. I'd play them in as many CD players as possible to try and see where the problem is. I realize that it's unlikely that both your CD player AND your computer would suddenly go kabloooey, but still...play those CD-Rs on other CD players. Also, try playing other CDs and CD-Rs in your computer and your CD player and see what happens. Try and narrow down everything. And for everyone else, as I keep saying, if something is truly truly vital, keep making copies of that CD-R.

For those placing all their faith in CDR, DVD backup storage beware... [url=http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751]Unreadable CD\'s[/url] DVD's potentially pose even a greater problem with their narrow track widths. This combined with the quest for higher and higher write speeds will most likely result in questionable long term reliability unless consumers are prepared to pay more for higher quality media and put reliabilty before price. I have many discs than can no longer be read after only one or two years. Several friends are experiencing similar problems. Many of the so-called desirable 'gold discs' no longer use a real gold layer which was common in the earlier days of CDR manufacture. Pricing pressure for cheaper and cheaper media has led some companies to use a gold dye which gives the impression of being a gold disc... or course which it isn't. Believe or not large capacity hard drives 300gigs+ probably offer more reliable long term storage than any removable media.
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

OH I know why all yore CEEDEEs are ruint' it cause of the SOLAR FLARE. it only happened to TEAC CDRs the CDRWs are okay. the FUNNY THING ABOUT all of this is that the letters T-E-A-C- C-D-R- , in that order, spells: "RUBE" in ancient chinese mongolian. or not...

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

[quote]Originally posted by S'allowe'en: [b]I wouldn't consider a hard disk a reliable long-term storage option, they are fairly fragile. And you can't bake them in the oven to recover the data either ;) Nightly backups, yes. Archiving, no.[/b][/quote]Yes any mechanical device will fail over time if it remains in constant use. The problem is with the massive amount of data hard drives can store even DVD's are no longer a really pratical method for the average user to backup and safeguard their data. My point was a 'storage' drive is probably the most practical method at this point in time. Though even a rarely used drive could suddenly fail. The reality is there ain't no guarantees!
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]It's strange that ALL of them would be screwed up. I'd play them in as many CD players as possible to try and see where the problem is. I realize that it's unlikely that both your CD player AND your computer would suddenly go kabloooey, but still...play those CD-Rs on other CD players. Also, try playing other CDs and CD-Rs in your computer and your CD player and see what happens. Try and narrow down everything. And for everyone else, as I keep saying, if something is truly truly vital, keep making copies of that CD-R.[/b][/quote]O.K., well I played them in different CD players, all with the same result. I finally got another computer to read the discs, but they sound just as horrible when played through the computer. I tried to rip the audio and burn a new disc, but the wav. files still have that scratch and pop thing going on. I guess the audio is permanently damaged? All of these Teac CD's (5) came from the same pack. Maybe it was a defective run? All I know is that I'm horribly disappointed, and I'll never buy that brand again.
I have no homepage.

As disconcerting as this experience has been, the fact that they all came from the same box is certainly a clue that it was a bad batch. I have had this happen, even with my favorite for data, TDK. Fortunately this one box failed on verification so I knew the deal. As you said, don't buy that brand with that experience behind you. Rowan, I have to say I have had nothing even close to the experience the Dutch report indicates, and apparently neither have several people who commented on the report (at the bottom of the page) The brands appear to be nothing I have ever heard of, a automatic bypass for me when I buy. Maybe they are big there, I can't comment with so little information. As I posted elsewhere, I personally have been checking 1000's of CD's from my archive (1996) and nothing bad to report yet (fingers crossed!). I continue to believe that other than some bad brands and stolen formulas that got botched that this will be a decent back-up medium. I certainly have had more hard drive failures than CD-R's at this point!

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

I too have had untimely HD blowouts. Do you DEFRAG your HD a lot. My fren' defrags her hd all the time and keeps it fairly empty and folkes SWEAR she has the MOST STABLE HD ever. not a crash in over five years. what about shunting HEAT AWAY from those components? WHAT exactly GOES WRONG when an HD quits anyway?

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

I have five hard drives running on my main Mac ProTools system. I defrag the system and storage drives maybe every couple of months. My main recording drives are completely erased after each project. I have a very stable system, any kind of anomaly is dealt with with what I call a cocktail. This is a routine of three different CD booted utilities and a selective process of preference trashing. Running the same basic system now for several years has allowed me to fine tune this routine and I have been hired to do the same for several 24 hour studios and gotten the same results. My PC's all run Norton's Ghost. Any bad behavior and I just reinstall the whole system disk (about 10 min). Again my recording drives are erased after each project. Hardrive failure (not if but when) can be caused by several things, the main enemies being heat and mechanical failure of the drive bearings. I have seen poorly ventilated machines (extra drives stacked and not compensated for by the cooling system) cause the actual media on the platters to deteriorate, indicated by a slowly increasing amount of bad sectors over time (usually from the outside of platter in). If a drive is exposed to serious physical shock it can also damage the head.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

[quote]Originally posted by Loopy C: [b]I have five hard drives running on my main Mac ProTools system. I defrag the system and storage drives maybe every couple of months. My main recording drives are completely erased after each project. I have a very stable system, any kind of anomaly is dealt with with what I call a cocktail. This is a routine of three different CD booted utilities and a selective process of preference trashing. Running the same basic system now for several years has allowed me to fine tune this routine and I have been hired to do the same for several 24 hour studios and gotten the same results. My PC's all run Norton's Ghost. Any bad behavior and I just reinstall the whole system disk (about 10 min). Again my recording drives are erased after each project. Hardrive failure (not if but when) can be caused by several things, the main enemies being heat and mechanical failure of the drive bearings. I have seen poorly ventilated machines (extra drives stacked and not compensated for by the cooling system) cause the actual media on the platters to deteriorate, indicated by a slowly increasing amount of bad sectors over time (usually from the outside of platter in). If a drive is exposed to serious physical shock it can also damage the head.[/b][/quote]HEY loop miester! you're an early bird too huh? ahahaha! I like watchin' the sun come up. I reckon i'm gonna empty mine (HD) sometime soon and defrag it. Anudd'r fan could'nt hurt.. I have two hard drives. "sounds" as if you have quite a system there . are you a goode engineer? I wish i was. I have realised that it takes as long to be a good engineer as it does to be a goode musician! ahahaha! I'm tryin' with my limited, almost non-existant budget and my 667 machine.. I have some goode compressors i just need to larn to work 'em. I get confused and my head goes to hurtin' really easily it seems. ahahaha! sweeping the frequencies is still somewhat of a delimma for this engineer wannabee.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Am I a good engineer? I am a lifelong student. I have been good, bad and ugly, in no particular order. I got my first guitar when I was 5 and my first reel to reel when I was 7. I am 44 now and can still be occasionally found onstage playing pop rock industrial hip hop (insert trendy genre name here) to the kids in those trendy clubs on Sunset Blvd. The engineering part (as does the computer knowledge) comes from wanting to compose and create music and the fact that my "back up" career and degree is in electronics engineering. I figure I STILL have the rest of my life to learn, can't get in too much of a hurry about these things. ;)

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

Do a test of your CDs every year or so, and you might consider backing up your backups every year or three as well. Do a search for CDR reliability/longevity/integrity/whatever and see what's been discovered. Make sure you have a highly rated CD/DVD writer like Lite On, Plextor, Ricoh, Samsung or the like, and get the best rated media you can, like Taiyo Yuden (Fuji), Sony or HHB. Fuji media can be picked up at your local Best Buy, Circuit City or Comp USA, for us yankee dogs.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Archived