Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mammoth ivory pick review!!

GreySeraph

Fumblyfingers,

Brian Hunsaker that designed our first two Jazz picks that are about to hit the market told me he bought two agate 1mm Jazz tipped standard sized agate picks at (picksandstones.com) Brian said they are not on the site but the owner will make them if you ask him. Brian also said {they are really,really good too}.

He knows as much or more about picks as anyone I know of. He was the one that told me about Dave's picks at Red Bear. The Red Bear's are made of milk protien, and have amazing tone. They are like a turtle shell but not dark in the mids my second favorite pick right now. Agate is real fast he might make a 2mm-3mm for you if you ask him like Brian did. Wegen is in Holland, and Michel is a model maker that might explain his unique design for his grips

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skipclone 1,

There are many forms of carbon from graphite to diamond most form naturally in nature, and some are mostly or only man made. For example carbon fiber is man made, and there are two types.

fiber made from mesophase pitch which is graphite, Graphite is a crystalline material in which the sheets are stacked parallel to one another in regular fashion with very weak or no inter locking bonds (like sheets of paper stacked on top of each other)

carbon fiber made from Polyacrylonitrile (PAN) is turbostratic.

The turbostratic fiber is much stronger, and is a great conductor.

That is the fiber Ferrari's, tennis rackets, Carbon fiber Violins, carbon fiber Guitar's, violin bow's etc. are made of. Graphite fiber is to brittle to make much out of they used it a lot in rocket nose cones over titanium where there is going to be a lot of heat.

Turbostratic means there is no real regular patern in the crystalline structure the carbon atoms are haphazardly folded or crumpled together. Two types of pyrolytic carbon, are pyrolytic graphite, and pyrolytic carbon. Pyrolytic graphite is made in a reactor that is not fluidized if it is pure enough, and anisotropic enough it can be cleaved like mica, and is diamagnatic thin sheets will levitate over rare earth magnets at room temperature.

Pyrolytic carbon is turbostratic and is isotropic covalently bonded

like diamond. The covalent bonds in diamond allow energy to be transmitted by the protons instead of the electron clouds. That is why people call diamond (ice) because a large diamond conducts thermal energy so fast it feels like a piece of ice.

The pyrolytic carbon we use from the medical field is isotropic covalent which makes it a super conductor of thermal and acoustic energy so I named it Black Diamond. None of the so called diamond like carbons are any thing like diamond though, and the material scientist hate the words (diamond like carbon).

The only graphite used in the music industry is the graphite saddles that Graph tech makes. There is no such thing as a graphite guitar.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation. For some reason this got me thinking about Fullerenes, haven`t been keeping up with developments lately. The atoms have a geodesic structure so this would not be an example of turbostratic, yes? I wonder how nanotubes would fare as a sound conductor? I wonder also, you are probably familiar with Rain Song guitars? they claim to be constructed from graphite, although it is a composite.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

skipclone 1,

Fullerenes are also called Buckey Balls after the scientist that discovered them, and they come in different sizes they are like micro Socker balls. Nanotubes are micro fibers of carbon they are little sheets of graphite rolled into tubes. They are so

small you need an electrion microscope to see them. The sp2 bonds in graphite are the strongest bonds in chemistry. Even stronger than the sp3 bonds in diamond. Carbon nanotubes are so strong, and so light that NASA is now thinking that a space elevator is possible at least in theory. I have told the people at Rainsong that the carbon fiber they use is not graphite but they have hard heads. If you order the graphite fiber in quanity from the only company in the world in Japan that makes it you will be on the NSA's, and CIA's watch list because it is such a good conductor of thermal heat in the ab plane that you can not make a rocket nose cone with out it to cover the Titanium so it can with stand the high tempertures of reentry. The graphite fiber is also to brittle to make a guitar of, and it would not sound as good as the Turbostratic carbon fiber too. Graphite only conducts in one plane the ab plane turbostratic carbons conduct in all directions. Bucky balls are balls made of a sheet of graphite

TuskBuffer,

All organic life is carbon based. You now can make man made diamonds out of any organic matter peanut butter, leaves, or any organic matter. Some companies now will make man made diamonds out of fido or fluffy when they pass away. I have even heard of some people making stones out of Grandma it is legal to do that.

I wonder if you could make picks, saddles, and violin bridges out of Fluffly. I get back to you in a couple of weeks

Lot's of good info thanks.

I used to have a Sharkfin pick that I used as a template--don't know what happened to it though. If you'd like me to try a sharkfin style with my own brand of serrations, we can probably work something out.

I think if I go for one of your picks I will start off with either the regular Dunlop Ultex style or the Skunk or both. For some years now I have been using the Ultex picks... the shape and composition seems to suit me pretty well. It would be interesting to hear the difference in sound between one of those and an ivory one from you, of the same dimensions.

The Wegen's are great for the Gypsy Jazz guitar or an archtop and especially when you need that extra volume. However, on electric the thicker 2.0 plus mm beveled edge picks have a tendency to exhibit little transient "glitches" as they contact a string that is already vibrating... especially during slower passages. The Wegen's are not bad...but they do it. The purple 2.0mm Big Stubby I have is particularly bad this way...it is almost ceramic sounding....like a glass slide just barely touching an oscillating string. zzzzZZZTT!!!

Do you need me to let you borrow my original Landstrom Design Sharkfin® to get a template off it? Is that legal? Being as it has the ® on it etc etc which is probably why the Dunlop Fins version is a different shape and serration. Horrible pick that, really crappy material.

Anyway, I'd be happy to let you borrow it for research purposes should you be unable to get one locally.

At the mo' I am pretty buried in my studio, wading through soft synths, orchestral software sample libraries, notation software an other VI's that I am triggering with a MIDI guitar controller........well, trying to figure it all out. I am a bit distracted from my actual guitar playing...which is a drag.

But at some point here I will order one of your picks and see how they perform for me.

What kind of "lifespans" are you seeing? I pick very hard alternating strokes on .011-.052 strings? Do the edges hold after they have conformed/worn in to the picking attack angle etc of the player?

Seems a very cool idea to use something so prehistoric for a pick. It is like the animal's demise has some meaning left in it........ it's remains being used for something really cool...to make music with.

What made you think of the Wooly Mammoth? I mean, as opposed to Pterodactyl toenail or something? :laugh:

What made you think of the Wooly Mammoth? I mean, as opposed to Pterodactyl toenail or something? :laugh:

Darnit! Pterodactyl toenail was my next "Top Secret" venture!

Actually, I completely fell into this whole thing backwards. I'll try to make this as short as I can. Years ago, I had a store where I sold knives and swords--basic flea market stuff. After a while, I decided I wanted to make my own stuff so I got some different materials for knife handles. One of those materials was mammoth ivory--got a bag of scraps just to mess around with and see how easy it was to work with. One of those scraps was roughly shaped like a guitar pick, so I made the crappiest looking guitar pick I'd ever seen and sold it on eBay...it sold for $35! I sold a couple more, still not looking good at all, just as novelties. Before long, people started writing to me, saying they were the best thing they'd ever played with! To be honest, I was thinking these people were whacked, paying that kind of money and actually using them! Like I said, I just sold them as a novelty. Then I tried using one and Holy Crap! These people weren't kidding! Since that time, I'd say I've gotten considerably better at making them, came up with my own techniques and tools and can make them rather perfect now. I quit making the picks quite a while back due to time and supplier issues, and have only recently resurrected the business.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

As for lifespans--of course it all depends on your style of playing. It's been my experience that once they are properly broken in, they last for a very long time. Skipclone 1, who commented toward the beginning of this thread, got his maybe 7 years ago. I have only had one complaint for excessive wear, which was from a guy who does nothing but shreds...constantly. I've also had plenty of other "shredders" that do nothing but rave about my picks. So, in a nutshell, I'd have to say the lifespan is pretty darn good.

Regarding the Sharkfin...I won't tell if you won't! Actually, I wouldn't want to copy it exactly either, just in case. I'll see if I can come up with a variation on it, though.

By the way, I can modify the Skunk Pick the same way as I do the ivory picks, so you can get the Dunlop style in the Skunk Pick. I would still recommend getting both though, because they get really different tones. By the way, I came up with the idea and technique of the Hybrid picks from making knife handles years ago--cool, huh?

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Fumblyfingers,

Brian Hunsaker that designed our first two Jazz picks that are about to hit the market told me he bought two agate 1mm Jazz tipped standard sized agate picks at (picksandstones.com) Brian said they are not on the site but the owner will make them if you ask him. Brian also said {they are really,really good too}.

He knows as much or more about picks as anyone I know of. He was the one that told me about Dave's picks at Red Bear. The Red Bear's are made of milk protien, and have amazing tone. They are like a turtle shell but not dark in the mids my second favorite pick right now. Agate is real fast he might make a 2mm-3mm for you if you ask him like Brian did. Wegen is in Holland, and Michel is a model maker that might explain his unique design for his grips

Thanks Jim for all the info. Yeah those polished agate picks are very fast but not for me right now. But I will go take a look at the site you mentioned. The milk protein sound interesting too.

Fumblyfingers,

I think you will really like the tone of the Ivory. I got one on ebay that was not polished right, and it was slippery. I am going

to trade TuskBuffer one of ours so I will have one I can play. When I get it I will have everyone check it out, and let everyone know what they say. Remember what works best for one player may not for someone else, and most players will want more than one kind of arrow in their quivers. Native American's before we destroyed their way of life used one kind of arrowhead for birds, and a different kind of arrowhead for Buffalos. I wonder what kind of arrowhead they used for Wooly Mammoths. Has anyone ever tried playing with a arrowhead?

Has anyone ever tried playing with a arrowhead?

Good one--If I had one, I probably would have used it. I've used LOTS of unusual things in my quest for the perfect sound--a German coin, a chopstick holder, I think even a belt buckle at one time! To my knowledge, most arrowheads were either flint or obsidian--that would be cool as heck to have your pick sparking on your guitar strings using flint!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Fumblyfingers, Native American's before we destroyed their way of life.........

Amen to that brother!

Hey TB, nice story about working with the knives and all. I have always had a soft spot for them...like most guys I think. I got into a habit about 10 years ago, due to my work, of always having one on me. I carry either a Gerber or Spyderco at all times...they have a small section of serration as I cut rope a lot. I also have a super Pro Tech SWAT that is a plain blade, no serration, but I don't carry that, for obvious reasons. Actually they have some really nice (supposedly legal in California) automatic knives with a less than 2" blade......1-15/16" LOL!!! There is a model called the Tantilla, where the blade comes straight out like a stiletto that I have my eye on. Expensive though at over $200.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent.

So do you need my Sharkfin? If so, how soon could you send it back as it is the only one I still have and they are hard to find? This one I had sent by my brother in England.

Let me know.

Yeah, Gerber and Spyderco--good brands! Personally, I like the basic folders with thumbstuds, which I can open just as quickly as a switchblade with no recoil. It's funny, people where I used to work thought I always carried switchblades! Maybe I'll send you some pics of the handles I made, pretty elaborate for just fartin' around. I've also ordered a bunch of David Yellowhorse knife blanks (folders) that I'll make handles/scales for one of these days and maybe put them on the site for sale.

Regarding the sharkfin pick--I'm ordering some off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-LANDSTROM-SHARKFIN-SHARK-FIN-PLECTRUMS-PICKS-WHITE-/200536926586?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb0eea97a

That's the correct one, right? Ironically, the seller is in England. You might as well snag some up from this auction too--or I can throw one or two in with your order (I only need to hang on to one to use as a template).

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Has anyone ever tried playing with a arrowhead?

Good one--If I had one, I probably would have used it. I've used LOTS of unusual things in my quest for the perfect sound--a German coin, a chopstick holder, I think even a belt buckle at one time! To my knowledge, most arrowheads were either flint or obsidian--that would be cool as heck to have your pick sparking on your guitar strings using flint!

One thing I found that was really cool was a flattened penny. I was holding it nearly perpendicular to the strings, and it made lots of cool harmonics when I strummed

....which I can open just as quickly as a switchblade with no recoil. It's funny, people where I used to work thought I always carried switchblades!

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-LANDSTROM-SHARKFIN-SHARK-FIN-PLECTRUMS-PICKS-WHITE-/200536926586?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb0eea97a

That's the correct one, right? Ironically, the seller is in England. You might as well snag some up from this auction too--or I can throw one or two in with your order (I only need to hang on to one to use as a template).

I opened mine in the doctors office today to sharpen my 10yr olds pencil so she could do some homework. LOL!!! :sick::o:sick: I got a coupla "looks"!

Yes, that is the correct Sharkfin and yes, maybe I will take some off you depending on how much they end up being.

That would likely end up being an expensive WM ivory pick as no doubt you have to carve/shape the serrations by hand for each one which will add afair bit of time to the manufacture.

When I had my store, I would show how sharp the knives were by shaving a patch of hair off my arm--looked pretty goofy after a while with bald patches like that!

I don't know if I can get the sharkfin exact, but I think I can come up with something reasonable. I'd have to make it at least 1 mm thick (preferably 1.2 mm or so), so it would be thicker than the original. Maybe an additional $5 each for the special order...plus I'll swing you an original sharkfin or two. What a bargain, eh? Of course I won't be able to start until I get the originals from England.

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

To expand a little,

The tone is just marvelous. It really accentuates the bass, and lends a sort of glossed-over smoothness to chords. This is especially noticeable with the .8~ mm "Dunlop standard" style pick - which, as it turns out, I bought on a limb as it's not the sort of pick I would usually use. That one is probably my favourite of the three.

The gripping capabilities, as described by Tuskbuffer, is 100% truth. Once my fingers warmed up, I noticed that I could lift a pick up by only having my thumb on TOP of it (nothing below). Like a little suction cup, that!

The guitar I'm playing right now has very heavy flatwound strings, but these picks are so slick that they just slide past them like they were .009s. I don't shred, but a Tuskbuffer jazz III shaped pick is definitely faster than a real Jazz III.

Harmonics stand out a ridiculous amount, can easily hear natural harmonics places like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th frets - and this is on a single-coil -equipped plywood/masonite Danelectro with flatwounds (as mentioned above), using the neck pickup. Unheard of.

I am damned serious about my tone, always ready to totally abandon a certain object, approach,ideal, etc. if it isn't working 100%.

I approve of these picks.

To expand a little,

Yes, thank you for that! This would look a lot better on my "Testimonials" page than the previous comment (although it does say it all, doesn't it?) :D ! I'm glad you finally received them--seemed to take a longer time than expected and I was concerned they'd gotten caught up in Customs or you had to pay duties on it or something.

Thank You for the excellent review, EB!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

To expand a little,

Yes, thank you for that! This would look a lot better on my "Testimonials" page than the previous comment (although it does say it all, doesn't it?) :D ! I'm glad you finally received them--seemed to take a longer time than expected and I was concerned they'd gotten caught up in Customs or you had to pay duties on it or something.

Thank You for the excellent review, EB!

You're quite welcome; thank you for the excellent picks, TB!

i have been meaning to take a pic of my pick shaped stone, if i can find it. i did try it and it has some tone to it but it is rough and snags easily.

Buy a pack of emery boards and nail buffers and have at it!

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Archived