Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dumb question of the week, or maybe year: thumb rest

Richard W

Jamerson, on the other hand, often played between the neck pickup and the neck...
Sorry, BE, here I go being a dink again. Jamerson played a P-Bass, so he played between the pickup and the neck, which is where, of course, he got his thump of the gods.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he did start out on the double bass, after all. :-)

Many of the early Motown sessions were on upright. Jamerson switched to bass guitar at some point in the 60's -- maybe 1963? I wonder if it was in reaction to the British Invasion?

Phil Collins just came out with a cover album using what is left of The Funk brothers. Maybe due to the musicians involved, and in spite of the non-spontaneous way in which it was recorded, I am finding it a thoroughly enjoyable record.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I suppose it's possible the Bass Player interview in question was with someone else of extremely high stature but not Anthony Jackson, and was simply in an issue devoted to Jackson. I'll see if I can hunt it down tonight, as it might be one of the four issues I saved due to having more than a few pages I wanted to keep.

At any rate, the Wiki entries for Jamerson and Jackson are very informative, if incomplete. The Jackson entry seems to confirm what others here said about him exclusively using 6-string basses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Jackson_%28musician%29

It could be that I simply mis-quoted and that he said a minimum of six strings and not a minimum of seven strings. This would have been mid to late 90's, and no later than early 00's when I stopped buying the magazine regularly.

The Wiki entry for Jamerson consolidates some of the hearsay I had collected over the years regarding never changing strings, etc.

I like broken in strings myself, which is why I buy Thomastik-Infeld, as they are pre-worn and also last an eternity. That comes from their background of working with symphony players, who need consistency right from the start.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 3 weeks later...

It occurred to me that I may have been thinking of Randy Jackson, or even Abraham Laboriel, as they work in some of the same circles and two of them have similar names and resumes. But checking all three of them via Wiki and other tools, did not turn up any tendency towards basses with more than five strings.

It's not worth spending any more time on -- I also tried searching the Bass Player on-line archives and what remains of my own hard copy collection.

Now, back to the regularly-secheduled topic on thumb rests...

Archived