Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Smed Wonderful Tonight Video Lessons

George Smed

I have decided to make step by step instructional videos on how to play my solo bass version of Eric Claptons Wonderful Tonight. I will break it down from left hand to right hand and then both together. Here is the link to my YouTube channel. Enjoy a live TV performance I did of Wonderful Tonight then learn to play it with lesson videos to the right of the view.

George Smed YouTube Channel

"Music was my imaginary friend and Frank Zappa was it's father."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this is still one of my favorite pieces done on bass, it is the same thing you showed us a long time ago. The lesson is not very intuitive unless you can tap already.

Like I said, it is very cool, I can't even come close to doing anything like that but it reminds me of an 80's band that still tours because they have that one hit wonder.

I also know you have done more than this song, but it is the one you keep showing us.

Give us something new.

How do you sign a computer screen?

2 more older ones I redid this year with bass multi tracking. I mixed different techniques of playing to create different sounds. Picking, finger playing, thumping, strumming. There are no effects on any of the parts. Just bass, drums, and vocals.

Very cool. Really nice stuff! The only tapping I can really pull off is the Eddie VanHalen-like guitar type of tapping. You know hitting a fretted note, hammering on a note then and tapping a note on the same string. Which if you don't mind I have a question. Sorry for the hi-jack. Judging from the links you've got the technique locked so I thought I'd ask an expert.

Tapping on open strings. Like you are doing. My volume is really low and I hear crappy overtones. Especially the overtones, they are really annoying. Is there compression used or a trick with EQing or muting or just hitting really hard. What's the secret?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Not sure what you mean by tapping on open strings. The trick to getting a clean sound without the lower tones over taking the higher notes and drowning them out. I'm guessing is the overtones? First thing I do is Lower the pick ups under the E and A string by the neck and lower the bridge pick up under the D and G string. If you have only one pick up lower under the E and A string. The other trick is the sweepable mids on my Ibanez. Use a small amount of soft compression. I hope this was what you were asking if not ask me again. I'm not very good at conversation.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was for example tapping an F# on an open D string. There's this weird overtone or secondary note sounded along with the F#. Is there some muting technique to get rid of that? I just can't seem to clean that up.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Okay, sounds like when you tap the F# you're creating vibration among another string. When I "Van Halen" tap say on the D string I will mute the E,A, and G string with the palm of my right hand buy cupping it leaving only the D string exposed. Another way is to mute the E and A string by resting your right thumb palm area on them and mute the G string with a finger on your left hand while fretting the tap.

Or it could be your vibrating string fretting out somewhere creating a hidden harmonic. Even though you don't hear string buzz it might still be fretting out. I have that problem with my 4 string around the 5th fret (I keep my action dangerously low). Just remember to bend in your neck a little (Like a whammy bar) when you play to raise the string a little. You will also have to bend the fretted note up a little to compensate for the detuning of bending your neck. Not too far you don't want to break your neck. I can get about a 1/2 to whole step bend with my neck. I have never busted a neck yet doing this but not to say it wouldn't happen.

Check your bridge. alot of the times the bridge that the string rests on could be loose and vibrating a little. My 5 string does this sometimes. In fact, tighten every screw that can be on your bass. Loose parts can also cause this. Due to the lower frequency of our basses they tend to loosen up a bit more than guitars. I do this every month and before every show. Tuning keys are a contributor to this overtone sometimes.

There is a separate art to muting strings while tapping. That seems to be the biggest frustration point for people learning to play touch style. I'm always asked how I get it to sound clean. Muting. I will work on some lesson videos pertaining to muting this week and try to have them posted by the weekend.

Tapping - Individual notes played while tapping. (Van Halen)

Touch Style - Playing 2 different lines moving simultaneously like a piano. (Stanley Jordan)

Archived