Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just plain folk

whitefang

Biker, I LOVE Dave Alvin, and I have a great deal of respect for what the folk rock scene became, more respect, I think, that for things at the start of the whole F/R scene, like The Cyrcle doing "Red Rubber Ball"(a Paul Simon song, by the way), We Five doing "You Were On My Mind", and Simon & Garfunkle doing "Sounds Of Silence" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". In the words of FZ, "Strictly commercial!"

I kind of wonder if the Folk boom actually set things up for a band like the Beatles to come in and blow everyone away. I recall reading a liner note on a Pete Seegar album saying something like "all you need is a guitar or banjo and a clear, untrained voice" and you too can carry on the folk tradition. The whole point, or a big part of the whole point to the folk thing was that people don't need to be trained, educated, virtuosos to make music that people like. And, I recall hearing someone on one of the Beatles Anthology episodes saying one of the big things about the Beatles was that you didn't have to be classically trained to make amazing music, etc and so on.

Welcome back, Live Music, glad you decided to speak up.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think the coffeehouse version of folk (as opposed to the campfire version) was significant, musically and culturally. Tracy Chapman,

Shawn Colvin, Ani DiFranco. Gil Scott-Heron, for that matter. Salon culture, in the literary sense, plus music. Smashing guitars is a fine analogy for what to do with the status quo-it takes something else to propose an alternative.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

If you're gonna drink scotch and soda, try the Kingston Trio's "One More Round".

Why would anyone ruin a perfectly good Scotch by adding soda to it?

If it ain't single malt...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Tried One More Round with Delia, but just couldn't remember it...don't really care for scotch and soda, just kinda like play'en the song...if I drink scotch, I drink it straight, just like me Irish Wiskey or me Mexican Brandy....cheers...
Take care, Larryz

If it ain't single malt...

It's shite! But, interestingly, even though I snobbily turn up my nose at blended Scotch, I was given a blend by the Edinburgh Festival this year, for having participated, & it's the first blend I've ever tasted that was anywhere close to being as good as a single malt. Still not as good as my favorite single malts, but certainly enjoyable in a pinch. And free.

Scott Fraser

Archived