Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Keaggy

GreySeraph

What guitar does he use in this vid:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCih2D_lqo

Is it a Goodall?

And otherwise, anyone else here like Keaggy's music? I've recently become super into this guy's playing and am thinking of trying out some of his stuff out on my own steel string.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that it is an Olson, which is also what James Taylor plays.

He is quite a good player, with great musicality and wonderful tone, isn't he?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

http://www.langejansguitars.com/index.htm

http://www.olsonguitars.com/guitar_models.html

Dude both of these guitars look absolutely awesome (although that dual headed classical and steel string looks sorta dumb imo). I absolutely love boutique-level steel string guitars, and while I always wish I had one, I purchased my Taylor knowing that I needed more of a workhorse guitar that I didn't have to baby (I was originally tossing the Taylor up with a Beneteau Concert Standard and a Goodall Grand Concert).

I wonder what it takes to be able to improvise multiple voices on the same level that Phil does...

edit: btw, here's some beauties for you to look at:

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/

http://www.goodallguitars.com/grandconcert.htm

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I have yet to hear a guitar that costs more the $1500 that I could justify paying for on the basis of tone. They play nice, they look nice, but so do Larravee's, Martins, and Taylors. Even some of the offshore-made Breedloves sound good enough to give me everything I want from an acoustic guitar.

But then, I'm not Phil Keaggy, either...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

And otherwise, anyone else here like Keaggy's music?

I wanted to watch this but I couldn't get past his opening preachy sermon. That's fine if one is playing in church, but at a concert, well, I'll just repeat Zappa's words: "Shut up & play yer guitar."

Scott Fraser

And otherwise, anyone else here like Keaggy's music?

I wanted to watch this but I couldn't get past his opening preachy sermon. That's fine if one is playing in church, but at a concert, well, I'll just repeat Zappa's words: "Shut up & play yer guitar."

He does a lot of his concerts in churches. But maybe you like this one better. He uses looping a lot on his solo concerts.

The guy is such a great player, but his religiosity always kills it for me. The whole born-again trip is depressing. That said, he is a truly great guitar player and I do respect the fact that he apparently put his personal religious beliefs ahead of superstardom. I just wish he would play more and preach less, but that's not to be.

I met him once, some years ago. A friend of mine who's on a first name basis with him introduced us backstage after a concert. I was prepared to give him an opportunity not to deal with a stranger right after playing a long set, but he wanted to know about me. He asked me questions about myself, and made it plain he'd be happy to share what time he could with me. All this happened, by the way, while a crowd of fans was descending on us. I watched him talking with a number of them, taking his time to listen and engage with each person he spoke with. I'm pretty good at recognizing phonies. I've slipped up on a few, but not many. There wasn't a phony bone in his Phil's body while he talked and listened to those people. No artist or public figure I've ever seen greet their admirers has ever been more relaxed, gracious and genuine. I learned more I wanted to hang on to watching him there than I did listening to him play.

Phil Keaggy is a good-hearted man, offering what has helped him live a better life to people who voluntarily come hear not only what he plays and to what he has to say. He is sharing what he believes are the best parts of himself, his music and his heart. What you're calling religiosity is nothing less than genuine spirituality. I'm sorry you didn't recognize it when you saw it.

That's actually Phil's second Olson SJ. The first was retired after many years on the road. It had just become too fragile to travel with. I had the privilege of playing that first one many years ago. It was without a doubt the best sounding steel string I've ever touched.

I've been a big Keaggy fan since his Glass Harp days when he was another local guy playing the same clubs I was.

Isn't this the guy Eddie VH was such a fan of?

Not just EVH, but Hendrix as well! :D

And I love him for what he does.

I lead worship at church, and so does he, but I dont think I would call such stuff "religiousity." He gives his testimony partially through the talking and partially through the guitar playing. If anything, his guitar playing is choc full of testimony, because never once do I feel that he's showing off when he plays a run. Rather, every single thing he does is what the song needs. And about Zappa, (dont get me wrong when I say this cuz I love listening to some good Zappa tunes) I don't think that quote really applies here because Zappa and Keaggy have different notions of what music means.

I have yet to hear a guitar that costs more the $1500 that I could justify paying for on the basis of tone. They play nice, they look nice, but so do Larravee's, Martins, and Taylors. Even some of the offshore-made Breedloves sound good enough to give me everything I want from an acoustic guitar.

But then, I'm not Phil Keaggy, either...

If you haven't found one that justifies the tone, then don't buy it. The guitar should fit YOU regardless of price-- it doesn't make you less of a guitarist if you play a $400 buck Yamaha if you can still touch people's hearts and minds with it.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I'm not begrudging Keaggy his sincere beliefs & his conviction that he should share those. It's just that he represents a very specific 'brand' if you will, & that happens not be be my brand. I've worked with a lot of deeply spiritually oriented musicians from many traditions & parts of the world. The ones who click the best with me are those who inspire & radiate innate goodness without ever having to refer to the specific 'brand' underlying their belief structure.
Scott Fraser

I've enjoyed Phil's playing for a few decades now. The first time I saw him (mid 80's?), there was a power problem. Rather than sit it out, he ran all around the aisles, singing & playing to everyone. Played a lot of Beatles songs, as well; he said "Well, they're not around to sing them anymore, so SOMEBODY has to!"

A friend of mine, Harry Offutt, became friends with Phil for many years, and asked Phil to add a guitar track to a song on his CD. Phil sent it back with a couple of guitar tracks, and backing vocals as well.

I'd recommend his albums, "Beyond Nature", "Jammed", "Lights of Madrid" and "Acoustic Sketches".

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I have his acoustic guitar instructional video - very cool stuff!

I, too, think he is a great player, and I have played in lots of churches, too - right now on sabbatical. Just can't deal with some of the nonsense right now - in terms of music, I mean.

Phil has always been up front about where he's coming from, and in a GP interview he said, "I was always too religious for the musicians and too much of a musician for the Christians." Not an exact quote, but along those lines. Sort of caught in the middle. A condition I can VERY MUCH relate to!

If you don't want to hear his preaching but like his guitar playing, I recommend his instrumental albums.

But I agree with Picker - whatever else he may or may not be, Phil Keaggy is not a phony.

Been a Keaggy fan for years.

He was way ahead of his time.

Hendrix once called him the best guitar player he's ever seen - Glass Harp days.

His album Master and the Musician is true masterpiece of style and emotion.

His 10 minute long solo spots on electric back in the 70s and early 80s were just uncanny, heavenly, awesome.

GP called him a world class guitarist.

He could easily have been the number one man in rock of those days but of course prejudice against Christianity and religion in general made that impossible.

I admire him for sticking to his guns and paying a huge price in fame and fortune for it.

Long Live Keaggy!

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

- Hunter S. Thompson

He could easily have been the number one man in rock of those days but of course prejudice against Christianity and religion in general made that impossible.

I don't believe prejudice has anything whatsoever to do with it. Self-definition has everything to do with it. Phil is a niche artist & that niche is not synonymous with the mainstream. He's known as a Christian musician, not a rock musician, because that's the way he has defined himself. There are Mariachi musicians I've worked with who are as good as good can get, yet they aren't recognized as superheroes. It is not due to prejudice against Mexicans, it's due to Mariachi being a non-mainstream niche market.

Scott Fraser

I agree with Scott's point... "niche" and image mean more, in terms of general public perception, than talent, and what the musician IS ACTUALLY PLAYING!

Not that we musicians are immune to that type of thinking, but we at least try to listen to the actual notes!

At any rate, Phil chose to be upfront about his Christianity, knowing, or at least learning before too long, that his albums would be stocked in the Christian music section of record stores, where non-Christians don't usually look.

I don't believe prejudice has anything whatsoever to do with it. Self-definition has everything to do with it. Phil is a niche artist & that niche is not synonymous with the mainstream. He's known as a Christian musician, not a rock musician, because that's the way he has defined himself. There are Mariachi musicians I've worked with who are as good as good can get, yet they aren't recognized as superheroes. It is not due to prejudice against Mexicans, it's due to Mariachi being a non-mainstream niche market.

There is a certain amount of truth in what Taliesyn says, although I don't think it's as much about prejudice per se as it is about programming practices in modern radio. In Europe, there is no "Christian music scene" separate from the "secular music scene." Artists like Phil's buddy Paul Clark, or Bryan Adams, or Randy Stonehill, and a boatload of others sell CDs pretty well there, and draw big crowds in live concerts. Over there, you don't see an onus on an artist who proclaims his beliefs in his music, regardless of what they might be, as long as the music is good.

Menawhile, bock over on the stateside, artists are relegated to their particular ghetto; the "Christian ghetto"...or the College Radio ghetto, or the Urban/R&B ghetto, or the Classic Rock ghetto, or the Jazz ghetto...

I think he's an amazing musician. I didn't know much about him so I subscribed to his podcast. Now I can't listen to him at all. I disagree strongly with his religious/political views which would be no big deal except, like Ted Nugent, his politics are part of his music and cannot be separated.

I respect him and what he does but I don't agree with him and can't listen to what he sings about.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Phil Keaggy is great. I grew up in in the "Christian bookstore" subculture and I know that Keaggy is greatly underrated, even by the Christian community. The CCM genre is fairly ignorant of him and great instrumental music in general, so he's a rarity.

Now, he has done session work for just about everybody... and his acoustic guitar instrumentals are about my favorite ever. Lots more melody and progression than is typical for instrumentals in general.

His songs are definitely not "commercial" because he's heavily grounded in '70s songwriter stuff, but if you can't get enough Paul McCartney-like vocals, you might give a listen.

And if your're a "Christian music" fan, then go back and do some history, because he was one of the founders of "Jesus music", back when that was "radical." And he probably invented the oxymoron "Christian instrumental music."

I respect him and what he does but I don't agree with him and can't listen to what he sings about.

I feel the same way about King Diamond, minus the respect for what he does. I respect him as a person, but I have no respect for making a living from songs about torture, satan worship & murder.

I feel the same way about King Diamond, minus the respect for what he does. I respect him as a person, but I have no respect for making a living from songs about torture, satan worship & murder.

Then no blues music for you!!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Then no blues music for you!!

that totally made sense?

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Hmm. Granted, I have heard a number of blues tunes about murder. But there are many more that aren't about killing anyone, so I guess I could hang with those tunes. I don't think I've heard any blues tunes about human sacrifice either, but you're welcome to correct me on that if you have.

I have yet to hear a blues hymn to the devil. Yes, there are blues songs about the devil, walking with the devil, being pursued by the hounds of hell, etc and so on, but I never heard any about how much the author LOVES the devil. But if there were one or more, once again, I could hang with the ones that don't talk about that mess.

I guess that line from Robert Johnson's Me & The Devil Blues, "I'm gonna beat my woman till I'm satisfied" could be construed as torture, but that's a bit of a stretch, really. And, I doubt I'll be singing that one anytime soon.

Maybe I could even get away with "John The Revelator" or "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning" if the crowd was too drunk to notice...

He's said that he had no idea he was going to be pigeon-holed as a "Christian Artist". When "What A Day", his first solo album, was released songs like "Jesus Is Just Alright" and "Spirit In The Sky" were getting mainstream airplay and distribution. The "nichification" of music into soft rock, hard rock, progressive rock, Christian rock, classic rock, etc, was industry driven, not artist driven.

A large portion of his output (over 40 albums I think) could be described as secular or non-religious, particularly his instrumental stuff. I'd argue that, despite his abilities on the guitar, he just didn't have the song writing chops to be a consistent top 40 act.

In any case, he's one of the coolest players to catch in a live setting!

One of my favorite, non-religious, Keaggy /Glass Harp performances:

Archived