Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Anyone else still playing with Reel to Reels?

02R96

Here is a picture of my Pioneer RT-707...

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae32/02R96/PioneerRT-707AR.jpg

I bought it on Ebay for $325.00 from an estate sale. The guy who owned it was a audiophile and it shows. Over 30 years old and there's not a scratch on it; play's like it was new. Included was about 20 tapes with 70's rock and folk music.

I built a custom case for it and added a period correct DBX noise reduction unit. It's fun to put on one of the old mix tapes (remember those), and let it play; tape sounds so good.

Anyone else still have a reel to reel?

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else still have a reel to reel?

Reel to reel machines were my bread & butter for close to 30 years. Over time I've owned over a dozen. Last year I sold off my last 16 track, 8 track & a 2 track Otari. I just have one 2 track left, used for the occasional transfer of an old master into digital. They're cool as objects for sure, but as professional audio tools I'm very glad to be rid of them in the studio.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I still have a fairly mint TEAC 2340SX which is identical to this. I haven't used it in a while...computers are just more practical. I will not sell it though. I'll probably use it again when I'm nostalgic.

http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedecks/24698.jpg

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

When I had my studio I had a 4 track Otari. It was fun to bounce things to the R2R and back and add other effects, but I'm glad digital recording is the norm. When I worked in radio I used to edit spots and PSA's. Razor-blade editing was not fun.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Archived