Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beatles anthology DVD . . . comments?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well since no one has commented yet I will make a comment on what I remember. It was produced as a multi part US TV special and is a typical TV documentary (as opposed to say a film). It's big promotion was the two "new" Beatle's songs made by the at-the-time remaining three from Lennon's cassette demos and produced by Jeff Lynn (the 6th Beatle?). Very cool videos of the songs (one was a animated collage of Beatles references). I saw it a very long time ago and it was exciting at the time for it's "Beatle Revival" aspect. It does have a lot of footage from the out of print "Let It Be" film as one of it's highlights (I own that film so no big deal for me). If the Beatles are important to you you will probabable enjoy it. It's been so long now I can't give much more of a critique than that. I imagine the review section of Amazon (customer reviews) would be more helpful for further details.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

All I kmow is, I have the VHS anthology, and have watched all the tapes about four times already. If the DVD set has even MORE footage, I'll probably spring for it! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

As you probably know, the ABC broadcast was 5 hours (2 nites) which was cut from the original 10 hour BBC production. I saw the complete work on Laser disc and it was tremendous. You're right about live concert footage .. there's a full length LIVE version of 'HELP' that will end all speculation about how good they were as a live act.

Ok here's a fun game... I got a flu shot Friday so it killed me for the whole weekend... I began watching this DVD set backwards - beginning at the roof top of Apple for the last Beatles performance of the 'Let it Be' era backwards to Sgt Peppers, Revolver, Indonesia Tours, farther back..., Hamburg... With the shot it was all too cool - no walls melting but pretty trippy just the same ! Ha Ha - If you're in bed anyway, zoned out, might as well watch some cool pop culture - backwards ! The song 'Free As A Bird' makes more sense watching the video and having a flu shot too ! kylen

After watching Paul McCartney's "Back In The U.S." DVD video, I really had enough of the Beatles for a long time. How many screaming fans & documentaries do you have to see ?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ Sorry but hype doesn't excite me anymore.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

[quote]Originally posted by djwayne: [b]After watching Paul McCartney's "Back In The U.S." DVD video, I really had enough of the Beatles for a long time. How many screaming fans & documentaries do you have to see ?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ Sorry but hype doesn't excite me anymore.[/b][/quote]Mmmmmmmmmm . . . I don't really HAVE to see it. It would be nice to have a substantial body of Beatles visual footage, and the Anthology DVD seems to encompass alot of it in one purchase. I think it sounds like it may even have some replay value. Now if only the Zappa Family Trust would get their head out of their ass and put out a Zappa DVD Anthology! Or at least something on DVD! Thanks for the input, everyone!
Amateur Hack

[quote]Sorry but hype doesn't excite me anymore. [/quote]Ha Ha ! Yeah I know what you mean - The Beatles even know what you mean. You had to be there and live thru the period though - besides the pop culture piece the videos show the recording culture that changed as a result also. Plus what's not to like about watching mini-skirts again ! Ha Ha - fun for all ! :D kylen

[quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b]I just saw this today on Amazon. I was unaware such a product existed. Sounds exciting. But before I go blow $60, I was wondering if anyone could personally recommend it . . . Muchas Gracias[/b][/quote]If you are any sort of fan, just buy it. What people haven't commented on is that the last CD actually has the 3 remaining Beatles (at the time) reunited - playing acoustic guitars and drums. btw: The "Let It Be" DVD should be out this Fall as well. Very depressing, but a must have... Pete

[quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b] Now if only the Zappa Family Trust would get their head out of their ass and put out a Zappa DVD Anthology! Or at least something on DVD![/b][/quote]Im's stumped on this one, I remember several concerts being available on VHS besides what I own (I have Baby Snakes, Does Humour Belong In Music, and the Zappa' Universe tribute). Instead they are doing audio only surround mixes? After the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series I think we got the geist of live performance audio only experience. I wish I knew their reasons, heck at least buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed us some crumbs!

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

[quote]Originally posted by Loopy C: [b] [quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b] Now if only the Zappa Family Trust would get their head out of their ass and put out a Zappa DVD Anthology! Or at least something on DVD![/b][/quote]Im's stumped on this one, I remember several concerts being available on VHS besides what I own (I have Baby Snakes, Does Humour Belong In Music, and the Zappa' Universe tribute). Instead they are doing audio only surround mixes? After the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series I think we got the geist of live performance audio only experience. I wish I knew their reasons, heck at least buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed us some crumbs![/b][/quote]There is a Frank Zappa Live DVD-A called "Halloween", it's a live recording from NYC 1978, "Dancin Fool", "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow", "Dinah-Moe Humm" plus a bunch of other goodies/ I just got it tonight and haven't listened to it yet though.

Living' in the shadow,

Interesting abou the 1978 concert, I believe some of this is from "Baby Snakes" or around that performance. But thats what I mean, audio only? If you never saw Zappa's shows there is nothing available, a sad fact given his talent, unique shows, band members and estate. BTW, his percussionist for many years posts here on MusicPlayer! Someone mention the original BBC Beatles Special was 10 hours? Has this ever been released?

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

[quote]Originally posted by Loopy C: [b]Interesting abou the 1978 concert, I believe some of this is from "Baby Snakes" or around that performance. But thats what I mean, audio only? If you never saw Zappa's shows there is nothing available, a sad fact given his talent, unique shows, band members and estate. BTW, his percussionist for many years posts here on MusicPlayer! Someone mention the original BBC Beatles Special was 10 hours? Has this ever been released?[/b][/quote]Actually there's two videos of them playing, "Suicide Chump" and "Dancin' Fool", however my computer's acting up tonight and I'm having some problems watching them. But from what I have seen, they are REALLY cool.

Living' in the shadow,

I finally got to watch the Frank Zappa videos. "Dancin' Fool" is so in touch with the club goers of today. "Suicide Chump", is a blues type song which is about suicide, but the highlight is Frank's lead guitar work on a SG, he was a hot player.

Living' in the shadow,

Archived