Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it a sin not to love a P-bass?

rizzo9247

Over the years I've traditionally been more of a Jazz bass guy. But truth be told, I've found good applications for P-Basses. It's a classic instrument that's got a good number of sounds that you can dial in. But it's not a sound or a neck shape that works for everyone.

Personally, I prefer a P-Bass with a rosewood board. And I can go with either rounds or flats on that instrument. As for sounds? I can get rock, punk, r&b and blues sounds on my P-Bass easily.

So "is it a sin"? Of course not. But in all of your G.A.S. travels you need to start asking yourself what sound you're really searching for.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I see, the P Specials have J necks, so "J" vs. "P" is really more about the pickup configuration then, right?

Mostly- the P usually refer to the split offset single coil pickup and J usually refers to the pair of one piece single coil pickups.

As far as Fender is concerned, the other issue is the body style- P has a more 'square' body where the J has the italicized look with the offset waist and body lines. The J body is a bit bigger/ wider than the P as well.

Neck profiles are also different as discussed already.

The P specials usually have J necks and a single coil J pickup (or humbucker on the higher end American models) in the bridge position. It seems they were going for the best of both worlds- the faster action and tone options from the J hardware with the traditional P sound and stability.

Now I want a P special...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Oh, I see, the P Specials have J necks, so "J" vs. "P" is really more about the pickup configuration then, right?

Yes the pick up configuration is very different on each bass. The neck profile I would think is more of a comfort and feel decision.

www.danielprine.com

Well, that explains a lot. I've always liked the way Fenders sound in OTHER people's hands, but never felt comfortable with them (or the G&L equivalents). I probably spent the first five years of my bass playing life on Fenders and G&L's. Maybe longer.

Now I understand why that Tony Franklin edition addresses my issues and makes me comfortable (other than for the awkwardness of using a hip shot extender and rethinking where the notes are when playing fretless!). For one thing, I don't like maple fretboards. I don't sweat much. Is that good or bad? I guess my hands don't lubricate the board, so maple slows me down.

Similarly, the Yamaha BB-415 that I recently bought, seems to give me the best of both worlds, in fretted land, regarding P-bass and J-bass sounds with a rosewood neck and a body/neck weight ratio and neck radius that is more comfortable for me.

I strongly recommend the BB-415 to anyone needing classic sounds in their arsenal, who does not feel comfortable on traditional Fender and/or G&L P-bass and J-bass editions.

Meanwhile, I'm probably going to check out Jeremy's Jaguar Bass soon, as I'm real curious about this "forgotten" evolution of the Fender family (the guitars, including the related but different Jazzmaster edition, were slightly resurrected by New Wave and Ska musicians in the late 70's and early 80's, such as Elvis Costello, and are going through another rediscovery period right now).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Actually my old dad, rest his soul, met a guy selling an old P-bass for $150, bought it and passed it on to me.

I've never played it onstage, being a guitarist, not a bassist, but I admit I enjoy playing it at home sometimes.

Not sure it would be the ideal instrument for flashy lead-style playing, but it's more than fine for regular bass lines.

Definitely a sin not to respect a P-bass, kind of like its a sin not to respect your dad (assuming he's always been around like the p has). not to love it on the other hand is perfectly natural. I personally will never use one, all thump no growl, not much versatility, at least in my hands.

If the bass is a' rocking, HELL YEAH COME KNOCKIN!

www.myspace.com/gritthitter

I totally understand this feeling. I actually play a Yamaha 5 string Attitude that I totally LOVE! The sound, action, everything is great. Secretly though I do like the P-Bass Special. Thin jazz necks are great.

John Paul L - Yamaha 5-string Bass, Ampeg SVT4 Pro

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11709&id=100000248630919&l=04db50b29a

I've found that my Fender Jazz 24 does all I need it to without a lot of back-talk. Jam-band, blues, rock, metal (yes, three-fingered metal!) I played an old 5-string P-bass in a jam band and loved the sound, but it had the soap-bar and not the "real" p-bass pick-up configuration. I actually find the fender jazz pick-ups more comfortable as a thumb rest as well as for their sound, of course.

Glad you mentioned that. I have a P Bass with a J Bass Neck I installed. I like it, couldn't play the P Bass neck with my small hands. What's weird is I have a 5 string and I can whip around the fret board on that no problem. Go figure. My opinion. Don't settle for one sound when there are so many insturments out their with their own sound and personality. I love picking up different models and trying them out - from the cheapos to the custom shop super expensives. It's all about individual taste. I have 9 different basses that I use for various situations and sounds/tone/songs. It's just fun to be fickle. (Just ask any 14 year old girl). HA!

Dan Erickson, Ph.D.

There is nothing wrong with you that what is right with you can't change!

Not sure it would be the ideal instrument for flashy lead-style playing, but it's more than fine for regular bass lines.

Althought some really make a P bass work for flashy lead-style playing.

See: Billy Sheehan.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'd add Steve Harris to that flash P Bass player line up also.

I do love playing my Precision, my Warwick will always be no 1 but the P is lovely to play. A lot of my band mates like the sound of the P and in a two guitar set up it is class. I got it for playing in a Foo Fighters tribute band and now use it in different playing setups. Its also nice for some back to basic practicing and writing on. I don't think its a sin not love one but they definitly have a very lovable quality in their simplicity.

• 2 months later...
Almost every thing I owned has had a pitched headstock and the last time I sat in with a band I lashed up to the bass player's AXE and it was a P ,I looked down the end of the neck and immediately it threw me a little ,somthing just didnt feel quite right. Can't say I love em can't say I hate em !

Fender should come out with a "B" bass. Then we could debate the merits of P, B, and J.

(sorry)

Bronco bass?

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

So, in summary, it is not a sin to not love a P Bass.

It is, however, a sin to not love a Jazz Bass.

Lord, have mercy on me, a poor sinner......... ;)

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

• 3 years later...
Love it Rizzo, looks great! How does it play?

Really great actually. Best way to describe it would be rich, buttery smoothness! It can still "honk" like P basses should but that sweetness I've been missing has been found on this baby.

p.s. Sadowsky makes strings?

Yes! Try their blue label steels, great strings!

I feel that I must amend my comments above...

While I still love my J bass, since my previous post here I did find "my" P bass, and it is, imo, stellar. Lots of tones come out of it, surprisingly, and it seems to work in just about any situation.

Around the house, it's the one I usually pick up first, and the one I play the longest.

Senor Rizzo, that is a sweet looking instrument you have there. I wish you many years of enjoyment with it (but you'll have to keep it for that to happen...) ;) Congrats!

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Beautiful. Don't change a thing on it (except for strings as needed).

I still maintain that every bass player should have at least one jazz & one precision, not necessarily Fender although that would be my choice.

Push the button Frank.

It finally clicked. 1970 Fender P bass. Took me long enough :)

Strung with Sadowsky flats

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMAG0017_zps3tepjazl.jpg

Very nice! That black and tort is a nice little color combination, isn't it?

Enjoy!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived