Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free Weekly Mini Lessons

johnnycee

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ADH - I just programmed a click in Logic - as a stick clap for 8 beats and then have 8 beats where the region is muted.

If you have garageband, cubase or logic it should be pretty easy to set up. If you don't email me - i can send you an mp3 at one tempo!

cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi guys,

Here's a link to a Blog Post I did with a Moroccan Inspired bass composition and a quick lesson on Gnaoua Rhythms - The Music Of Morocco - and applying them to the bass.

They use a swing on the castanets that's really unique and challenging for western musicians... :-)

http://www.johnnycopland.com/morocco-gnaoua-north-african-rhythms-on-bass

J

Thanks so much for that, Johnny!

Gnawa music is pretty interesting....and the gunibri which is sort of played like a slap bass seems to be the lead instrument. I went to hear a group live and thought I was understanding the music (a little) and then men got up and started dancing and clapping along and I realized I had no idea where the beat was.

I look forward to studying your examples.

• 1 month later...
wow, it's been a while since I looked at your lessons, fantastic stuff. thanks for all the effort!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived