Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Auditioning for bandmates:Tales of Frustration

Ross Brown

Auditions are always a pain in the ass--people have bizarre ideas about the way musicianship and social interaction should relate to each other. I mean, can you imagine walking out of a job interview and saying something disparaging about the other employees or telling your potential employer who else they should hire? Or telling them that you turn into a giant asshole when things don't go your way?

Where else would this be even remotely acceptable behavior? Nowhere.

Good luck, man. At least the drummer sounds like he could be OK as long as you keep some spare sticks around.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck, man. At least the drummer sounds like he could be OK as long as you keep some spare sticks around.

This struck me as particularly funny, because I usually have an extra set of bass AND guitar strings in my "gig bag", and I even have a pair of drum sticks lying around somewhere. Why is it we seem to be more prepared than any of the other musicians?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

This struck me as particularly funny, because I usually have an extra set of bass AND guitar strings in my "gig bag", and I even have a pair of drum sticks lying around somewhere. Why is it we seem to be more prepared than any of the other musicians?

It has nothing to do with being the bassist, I can tell you that much. It has everything to do with being the most motivated person in the band, regardless of your position. In my last band, I lent a guitarist my whole guitar rig because his was not powerful enough. In another band, I lent the bassist my whole bass rig (and bass) because his stuff was faulty. In yet another situation, I lent the drummer a snare, some stands and some cymbals because he "lost" his stuff.

Don't ask how I accumulated so much gear. It just happened as a result of being the most stable person in any band situation.... which leads back to being the one with extra drum sticks, etc.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

"Ranting frustrated musical director type" - I'm not joining a band right now for that exact reason - I don't want to be that guy!

Which would certainly not be a problem if I was playing with people BETTER than me!

Musically he is probably much better than me (us). My experience is that well matched musicians do quite well, even if skill/talent is moderate. I would love to play with folks much better than me and that is a goal of mine, but assh*les take more than they give to a situation.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

OK, back at it tonight. Two guitar players and a drummer coming. Before tonight's auditions I am heading over to a carnival to check out another guitar player that is coming for an audition next week.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

[Hint: a band with two attractive women -- especially a roadhouse band -- will get a lot of bookings.]

and a sexy bass player......

Frankly I'm appalled by the blatant sexism displayed in these posts. You two ought to be ashamed.

(How'm I doin', Nancy? hahahahahahaha)

Sorry I'm late to the party here. Anyway, I think you left something off of your post above, Chad. It should read:

"Frankly I'm appalled by the blatant sexism displayed in these posts. You two ought to be ashamed...for daring to delve into my area of expertise."

And how about them Blackhawks?

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

But he may be able to really add to the stage show; maybe he's a fire eater, or he has to heads. A two head fire-spitting guitarist, I'd pay to see that, if he could play well.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Heading to a carnival to check out a guitarist?

I know that when you open up auditions a lot of clowns show up, but do you have to encourage it? :)

Well played.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Thanks, I needed this.... :cry:

Drummer cancelled for tonight. Same guy that didn;t show last week for "good" reason. This time he says he got a gig last night.... horsecrap.... He did not... he just can;t play and wishes he could.

Drummer from my other band agreed to fill in so we can still have a listen to the guitar players coming tonight. :thu:

My wife has a spreadsheet with everyone's info, audition notes, and date of audition scheduled, etc... Bless her.

Carnival clown or guitarists... I am sorry did I miss something?... are you suggesting that there is a difference? :laugh:

It may be frustrating, but hey, at least you are providing some entertainment for the rest of us! :)

Not quite in the category of Erik's epic "Cottonmouth DN's search for a bassist" series* of a few years back - but it's getting there.

(*Long-serving members will remember this fondly. The newer guys and guys will need to search...)

Cheers,

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

[Hint: a band with two attractive women -- especially a roadhouse band -- will get a lot of bookings.]

and a sexy bass player......

Frankly I'm appalled by the blatant sexism displayed in these posts. You two ought to be ashamed.

(How'm I doin', Nancy? hahahahahahaha)

Sorry I'm late to the party here. Anyway, I think you left something off of your post above, Chad. It should read:

"Frankly I'm appalled by the blatant sexism displayed in these posts. You two ought to be ashamed...for daring to delve into my area of expertise."

And how about them Blackhawks?

Me? Sexist? Not likely.

O.K., I'm getting ready to go off on a rant. Think I'll go make some coffee instead...

Ok, new signs going up today....

If you were asked to be prepared with four songs that are on the bands set list you will be expected to be able to play them, sorry

Corollary: If you cant learn four new songs for an audition why should we think you will learn 3-4 new songs each week?

Keep in mind that there was a selection of songs for them to pick from. I have been to numerous auditions. I always knew my material.

Our ad and web site (and all communication that we have had with you) says we are playing rockin roadhouse, electric blues, country rock and rock music that moves and people will dance too. If you start playing your acoustic guitar and singing one of your open mic standards (that is a sleepy folk song), that no one else ever heard of, please pick your preferred method of exit from the rehearsal hall.

If you have to bump your guitar cord every once in a while to get the static hum and horrible noise to stop you did not bring the right gear.

New Rule: If you dont make it to the first audition, there will not be a rescheduled second try. Blow hard somewhere else. (Two guys cancelled at the last minute. Thankfully my drummer from my other band was gracious enough to run over and pull drumming duty for the auditions. Good guy).

If I call you and your Mom answers and says you are still sleeping. I have more questions.

This is not even fun to post any more...

Monday, drummer shows. My regular guitarist does not. I mention to him that it is tough to audition a drummer with just bass, drums and vocals (we did it though and it turns out to be possible). Made us look like asses. They guy came from an hour away. NOTE: My wife liked him because he did not overplay; I was not sold because he did not play enough... I think this translates into he was perfect. Either way, he has another project that I am sure he will join now that we look like duffusess.

Then I get an e mail on Tuesday morning (concerning the auditions planned for Tuesday evening). The guitar player does not have enough energy to learn all these new songs, he is too old... he says. This was the third audition he missed. (I was the last one he was going to miss but he took himself out before I had to).

We have decided to look for an established project and join that... I think we have a band that is interested, we'll see...

This was the third audition he missed.

The THIRD one? Dude, you're too nice.

He is the guitarist in my other band. I cut him a break, otherwise, yes, I am way too nice.

I still think finding a band (or band members) happens more often when you're not looking than when you are. Good luck Ross.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

We have decided to look for an established project and join that... I think we have a band that is interested, we'll see...
Also tricky, as you must know, is auditioning as a package deal.

Have you tried using open jams for auditions? Whatever you're missing that night you could pick up from the jammers. Not ideal, but it may get the job done.

We found another couple with the same issue. Might work, might not. I have played with him once. He is good. We are going to try this Saturday. I have a temporary drummer set up. He guitars, she keys and sings, I bass, my wife sings.... They were in a band together for six years so they can work together (was a good band too). Seems like it could be a horrible diseaster or a great success. Worth a shot.... I like memories....

Also tricky, as you must know, is auditioning as a package deal.

Have you tried using open jams for auditions? Whatever you're missing that night you could pick up from the jammers. Not ideal, but it may get the job done.

Every person I have played with that was a "jammer" has been really lacking in the skills needed to be in a band. They "jam". They have trouble with beginnings, endings and middles.

Every person I have played with that was a "jammer" has been really lacking in the skills needed to be in a band. They "jam". They have trouble with beginnings, endings and middles.

Ain't that the truth... :rolleyes: it's been a situation I have dealt with too often. Too many people mistake 'jam' for 'perpetual noodling'.

Hopefully joining this other group will work out better than the audition process. It kind of puts the TV audition stereotype of the director with no patience in perspective though.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived