Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Took a plunge-- new phish on its way!

calypsocoral

I debated for a little while whether or not I should post this. But, then I decided, "oh, what the hell."

You know how I've been going on for a while now how I'm a P-bass guy-- I like its punch and the neck feels great...

... well, I went ahead and ordered something completely out of character for me-- an Ibanez SR-300. I justified the purchase because of its light weight, relatively-compact body, and a pop-up battery compartment (unlike my Charvel, which I have to remove the back plate-- resulting in stripped screw-holes)-- I told myself I needed a "travel" bass.

What sealed the deal-- I played one owned by a friend of mine. Started with some scales, then to some runs from Bach and Vivaldi. Then the intro's to Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Anesthesia."

Did it feel as comfortable or familiar as my clone P? Not quite. But I needed something with uninhibited access to the top frets, and a neck I could simply glide up and down.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or did I make a mistake?

Anyway, I'll send pics when it arrives in all its metallic green glory.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You bought a bass. And it's not a Wishbass. How can such action lead anyone to conclude you made a mistake? :grin:

No love for the Wishbasses, eh Ed? I think they look kinda cool, some of them...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The necks on Soundgear basses are too skinny for me. I never liked playing them much, but the ones I have heard sound pretty decent.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Congrats cc. I like getting new toys.

The Soundgear basses are fun to play, a little narrower than a P though. I had a SG 5'er for about a year. I liked it but in the end the tone wasn't what I wanted, so I sold it.

I seem to be going full circle, starting from Fender, experimenting with other basses, then going back to Fender. BTW, I'll have some pics of a new Jazz bass in a few days. :grin:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Okay, it arrived today-- about 10 minutes before I had to leave for work! O.O

Anyway, I gave it a quick run-through with Geezer Butler's basslines from "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath"-- the thin neck will take some getting used to. The pickup covers are radiused-- the E string sounded a tad weak at first, so I raised the bass side of the pickups just a bit. Now, it sounds very well-balanced. The controls are very intuitive and easy to locate without looking.

The body is nicely-contoured and very comfortable (it is now clear that the Ergodyne basses were a stepping stone toward improving the Soundgear), and the hardware is first-rate.

Will post pics and a solid review once the "honeymoon" period is over.

No love for the Wishbasses, eh Ed? I think they look kinda cool, some of them...

Actually from an aesthetical point of view, I think Wishbass has highly original designs. Are they still around ?

I'd love to get me an Ibanez Soundgear, always loved the look of those basses. And after seeing what kenfxj's son did with the stickers, I definitely want one to do the same to :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Really? Haven't we been through this many times now? Do we have to revive those videos? :sick::)

Really? Haven't we been through this many times now? Do we have to revive those videos? :sick::)

Haha, my sentiments exactly :grin: I recall one particular youtube vid where a subscriber said "I could listen to this kind of atonal playing all day" which in itself is one thing, but the whole idea behind the song played was - AFAIK - not to play some kind of atonal piece ! Unless the idea was to bring an atonal interpretation of a known song (in which case we are entering my singer's territory :grin:)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived