Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweep Arpeggios for Bass - take that, guitars!

Josh Fossgreen

Hey all,

I wrote an eBook on a technique that I developed for playing sweep arpeggios on electric bass. I'm able to keep up with a lot of guitar shredding this way, and also use it in jazz solos, for funky bass fills. The eBook is free, and available for viewing and downloading on my website. This is my first eBook and I welcome feedback! I plan on making many more.

http://joshfossgreen.com/ebooks/

Electric and Upright Bass

Performance and Instruction

http://joshfossgreen.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first example, why don't you do everything from the 12th fret?

The first note (E) that you're playing on 7th fret A string is also on 12th fret E string, no? Starting with your pointer (finger #1) you can play all the notes without shifting.

Yes, this eliminates the hammer/pull for the top notes but I think that can easily be replaced with more plucking fingers. Try thumb (no, really) for the E, 1 for A, 2 for D and 3 for G strings. (Alternatively you can use 1234 for EADG.)

If you don't mind triplets instead of 16ths you can eliminate the low G (and not play the full arpeggio), barre across all 4 strings and just go as fast as your four digits on your plucking hand can go.

[edit: ok, I can see some issues with note length (muting) using my alternate plucking suggestion.]

Yeah, that last example is moving pretty quickly, isn't it? ;)

Subdividing 200 bpm into 16ths is, what, 800 notes per minute? That's just over 13 notes per second. (40 notes every 3 seconds to be exact.)

Was it intentional to have the dynamics come down for this part of the song? Anything wrong with using a volume pedal to bring that section up a tad?

I like your approach to sweep arpeggios over two-hand tap. I think tap would work better on a Chapman/Warr. Have you barked up that tree yet?

I use the LH fingerings I use for a very specific purpose; I can move that shape all over the neck, with any triad in any inversion (basically). This means I don't have to practice as many fingerings, first of all, but also it's much easier to play quickly. If you change the fingering pattern from 2-1-2 to 2-1-1-1, as you're suggesting, I think it just makes it more complicated, if anything. I actually prefer the shift because I can get a more guitar-shred type sweep tone if I want. I agree that if you wanted to play E-B-E-G-E-B really fast, playing it at that 12-fret position would be a good idea. However, that sounds much different to me than what I have written.

Yeah, dynamic contrast is intended there. Like with any technique, I try to be able to play REALLY softly or REALLY loud with my thumb.

Stick seems like a really neat instrument, but like many other neat instruments, I haven't been compelled to devote time and energy to it. I have messed with two-hand tap arpeggios quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it 'sweeping,' because it sounds way different. The notes are much more individually articulated and staccato just by nature of the technique, it seems.

Thanks for all the ideas, Eric.

Electric and Upright Bass

Performance and Instruction

http://joshfossgreen.com

Archived