Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Contributors for June 2010 COMMUNITY SECTION?

Editor Boy

Hi all...

This section of GUITAR PLAYER is all about YOUR comments and contributions.

Here's what we need for the June issue. Please send submissions to mmolenda@musicplayer.com ASAP. Please make subject line: COMMUNITY.

As with the May 2010 issue, the editors will choose submissions to publish in the magazine along with your byline. Pretty cool. Thanks tons!

[1] Reader reviews of indie, unsigned artist releases. Need link to the artist page of the music you're reviewing.

[2] Star Search photos. Need photos of readers with guitar stars. Need short text on how you met the guitar star and anything else of interest.

[3] Need Gig Nightmares. Short, descriptive stories of your worse, funniest, most frightening gig experiences.

[4] Peer reviews of gear. Keep them to around 100 words, and focus on user impressions -- just as if you were telling me about a cool or uncool product if we met at a gig or somewhere. You know, real world stuff.

[5] Check Out My Rig. Detail your favorite setup from guitar to amp to pedals, strings, and more. Also, tell us WHY you dig that setup.

[6] Pawnshop Prize. You may remember this feature in GP. Now, we want YOU to detail your coolest "pawnshop" find. Could be a weird instrument you picked up at a garage sale or a strange pedal or ??

[7] Gear That Does One Thing Well. Let us know about a piece of gear you keep around just because it does ONE essential thing that you can't do without. Identify the product, or course, as well as the one thing it does, and WHY that one thing is important to you.

[8] Stuff that Sucks. Need one to two sentence comments on your most disappointing artist, guitar star, piece of gear, CD, DVD, concert, music culture happening, YouTube video, Web page, industry news, and so on. Current news is best.

[9] Stuff that Rules. Need one to two sentence comments on your favorite artist, guitar star, piece of gear, CD, DVD, concert, music culture happening, YouTube video, Web page, industry news, and so on. Current news is best.

[10] Whatever you want to write. Are we missing something? Do you want to say anything to the GP reader community that isn't included here? Put it down and send it to me.

Thanks tons for being part of the GP staff and getting yourself into the magazine.

Cheers,

Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Mike, if you haven't already done so, check out the Traveling Guitarist's Needs thread. That is turning into a pretty informative thread, with a lot of experienced hands giving what sounds like pretty good advice for preparing to endure the rigors of the road.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hi Mike,

1 - I'd love to see a round table issue, with 6 guitarists from different genres discussing the guitar, techniques, tone, equipment, inspiration, playing live vs in the studio... etc

2 - Be great to interview the best guitar teachers out there, from Berklee, G.I.T, private instructors etc.. and get their take on how students learn and what are the common mistakes students learning the guitar make.

3 - I really enjoyed the other guitar players comments about Allan Holdsworth in his cover issue, more of these would be worthwhile.

4 - Maybe a sidebar column on the history of guitar that would serve as a musical tree of who has influenced who and how genres cross over and the emergence of new genres.

5 - Music industry column and advise, pitfalls of the modern musician, perhaps short stories of engineers that have witnessed the best guitar recording and what they though at the time when the song was being tracked.

more to come!

Cheers

Jez

You're seriously still going with that "Stuff that Sucks" and "Stuff that Rules" crap? Seriously? Come ON. This brings it down to Guitar World level. Guitar Player should be more classy than that. You guys are the premier publication.

You're seriously still going with that "Stuff that Sucks" and "Stuff that Rules" crap? Seriously? Come ON. This brings it down to Guitar World level. Guitar Player should be more classy than that. You guys are the premier publication.

Gotta say, I agree.

Why bother even mentioning "stuff that sucks" unless it's so egregious or important that it really merits an alert ?

That's the same logic, for instance, that's long governed areas such as record reviews, etc., in GP.

It is easy to skip over material one's no interest in but why waste the space ?

d=halfnote

I'm an EQ subscriber who's only recently subscribed to GP, so if there is a back issue containing this then please direct me to it...

I think it'd be cool to have interviews with the most successful studio guitarists and hired guns out there. Their bios would be of particular interest. How did they get into the business they do? What considerations do they make when choosing gear for particular projects? What other ideas or tricks have they found to be helpful (gear, playing, getting gigs, etc.)? It might even make a good column where you could feature different players monthly?

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

I'm an EQ subscriber who's only recently subscribed to GP, so if there is a back issue containing this then please direct me to it...

I think it'd be cool to have interviews with the most successful studio guitarists and hired guns out there. Their bios would be of particular interest. How did they get into the business they do? What considerations do they make when choosing gear for particular projects? What other ideas or tricks have they found to be helpful (gear, playing, getting gigs, etc.)? It might even make a good column where you could feature different players monthly?

So I just got my first issue...

... and I thought I had a fantastic idea. I haven't seen it done before. Glad you guys are on it. Wish there was more bio stuff on Carl Verheyen.

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Archived