Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicman Stingray 5 - A Classic Revisited

Nicklab

I was kind of surprised when I recently went to Music Man's website and found that they've given the Stingray 5 string a facelift. They've taken a design that's been pretty much unchanged for years and applied a more retro look to it and it's being called the Classic Collection.

http://cdn.music-man.com/components/com_fpss/images/ccstingray5_01.jpg

It's certainly reminiscent of the Stingray 4 string from an aesthetic standpoint. I'd like to try one out, but I've got a slightly checkered past with Musicman basses.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played two Sting Ray 5's in the past week and I'm getting the feeling again that I can't live without one. They're both good players and sound great and I'm hooked again.

I like the oval pickguard too.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I am rolling a 5 string HH Music Man Sting Ray as my main bass:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs080.snc3/14743_382376315456_169373130456_10178945_5698814_n.jpg

Me too!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/lidxlbf/IMG00070.jpg

I also like the oval pick guard better but in every other way I prefer my SR5 over the classic, more options and have no use for the mutes. Still, they are a pretty cool offering.

I also like the oval pick guard better but in every other way I prefer my SR5 over the classic, more options and have no use for the mutes. Still, they are a pretty cool offering.

I like the Oval, but talking to Dave over at "The Bass Place" here in town, he like this model of the 5 for the options as well. The 5 way switch gives tonal options that are insane. I love it.

My band plays down tuned and dropped. It handles that as well. (Thanks to the set up Dave did)

We tune low to hi - A C G C F

www.burning3.com

Music Man Stingray 5 HH

Peavey T-40

Hartke LH500

Ampeg SVT410HLF

Im limited in what research I can perform on my phone, but I believe the electronics are made in Indonesia, assembled in Korea, and set up the USA.

I played a ray34 and ray35, they sounded and felt great. If you're in the market for one, Amazon has them seriously discounted (new stock), but the catch with them is that you have to pay tax and shipping. Here's the good news, send the price quote to any music website, ie music123.com, and they will match it, ships for free, and in most cases no tax.

The Classic Rays are reviewed in the latest Bass Player.

They point out the differences between the original and the newly manufactured "classics". The reviewer also mentions the wide tonal variety that is available.

I'm not a Stingray guy, but they are certainly solidly made. I want to try me a Big Al bass, but I doubt they'll make it to many stores.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived