Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I use these notes?

Ross Brown

Gm and Cm7 are the chords. I like to use the following notes in the bass line (G,F,E; mostly over the Gm) and C,Bb,A; mostly over the Cm7).

I am concerned that the E and the A are out of place. I like the way they sound but they are open E and open A so it may just be a rhythmic thing. They are quick (grace note ish). It is a nice thumpin bassline.

Is this illegal procedure?

Later in the song I use the D and the G (fifths instead of the E and A).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to say what works when we're only communicating in typed words. They can certainly be used. The best thing is to use your ears. Try playing it an octave up to hear how it fits the rest of the music a little better. If you still like it, put it back where it belongs.

Yea, I do the octave up thing. At first wasn't crazy about it. Then it grew on me. I would use these notes if I where walking backwards off of these chords. I tried to not use them last night but in the mix I liked them. Gave the song more soul. (or I can't hear jack crap and should stick to root five... ha!).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I play GG BB DD FE and CC EE GG ABb in lots of songs (it seems very rock n roll to me), so the F E should be legal with the G although the ones I use are an octave above what you use. (Are they the 7th and 6th when played above the root?)

I sometimes play GG BA G- if I need a short phrase eg for the G in Bowie's Heroes.

And I often use an open string for a grace note whether it's musically right or not - the brief thump is just for the rhythm.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Archived