Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter Fingers

SuStudio

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Split finger tips? I hope that's just a harsh description of skin cracking. You can take the Tony Iommi route or eat some greasy chicken before playing (mucho mojo right there).
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Hi,

I know what you mean. Every winter the pinky on my fretting hand tends to split just enough to be annoying. The only prevention I've found is to only use CREAMY hand soaps in winter. If it still splits anyway, there are bandages called 'Tough Strips' or something like that, which have a comfortable non-slippery outer surface that feels good on the bass if you need to gig. After playing a short time, you forget it's there.

BB

And don't say crazy glue!

OK. How about Aquaphor? Put it on your fingers before you go to sleep or during the day with a bandaid over it. Pretty effective. I was turned on to it by a friend who was undergoing radiation.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/Aquaphor.jpg

Aquaphor Healing Ointment protects dry, cracked or irritated skin to help enhance the natural healing process and restore smooth, healthy skin.

Clinically proven to reduce healing time

Creates a protective barrier that seals in moisture

Helps heal raw, irritated skin caused by radiation treatments, facial resurfacing procedures and Atopic Dermatitis

Soothes and helps protect extremely dry, chapped or chafed skin and lips caused by winter weather or diabetes

Soothes and protects minor burns

Fragrance-free, preservative-free, non-irritating

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DfB3GO07vjw/SvfcLQybzxI/AAAAAAAAABY/PqLXVK3o89k/s320/David+Duchovny+Zoolander.jpg

Ha! I guess that would work, too.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

If, every night, you'll rub a thick layer of Vaseline on your hands, then put a pair of loose plastic gloves, then put a pair of mittens over the gloves and sleep with them on, you hands will soften up, and be protected pretty well during the day too.

It's not necessarily an easy thing to get used to sleeping in...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't have problems with fingertips but the skin between my knuckles gets really dry and occationally cracks. If I notice it getting dry I just use some hand moisturizer. The non-scented kind.

My fingertips split a lot in the winter and getting them to heal quickly is important. I use iodine two to three times a day and it heals completely in two days time.

And I keep a bandaid on it so it stays clean.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I worked as a brick and stone mason in western PA for many years. The skin on my fingertips would always split in the winter time. Many are the nights I bled on my strings.

If you try super glue, make sure it's dry before you touch anything. Glued a finger to my zipper once. :whistle:

Be VERY cautious about greasing your hands and wearing gloves to bed. I tried that one winter and ended up with a nasty fungal infection on the palm of my right hand :mad:

Be VERY cautious about greasing your hands and wearing gloves to bed. I tried that one winter and ended up with a nasty fungal infection on the palm of my right hand :mad:

A guy I work with has dry hands all year round, and always has three or four large cracks at the same time. I got him to try the iodine. Another product that helps heal is Cure Chrome from Walgreen's drug store.

When I was a tile setter's helper I had dry hands constantly then.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

That's why you use the disposable plastic gloves between the Vaseline and the cloth/leather/rubber ones. And, you want to use carbolated Vaseline, which is bacteriostatic. Also, you don't want to scratch your Athlete's Foot...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

That's why you use the disposable plastic gloves between the Vaseline and the cloth/leather/rubber ones. And, you want to use carbolated Vaseline, which is bacteriostatic. Also, you don't want to scratch your Athlete's Foot...

:sick:

OK. How about Aquaphor? Put it on your fingers before you go to sleep or during the day with a bandaid over it. Pretty effective. I was turned on to it by a friend who was undergoing radiation.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/nhopp/Aquaphor.jpg

Aquaphor Healing Ointment protects dry, cracked or irritated skin to help enhance the natural healing process and restore smooth, healthy skin.

Clinically proven to reduce healing time

Creates a protective barrier that seals in moisture

Helps heal raw, irritated skin caused by radiation treatments, facial resurfacing procedures and Atopic Dermatitis

Soothes and helps protect extremely dry, chapped or chafed skin and lips caused by winter weather or diabetes

Soothes and protects minor burns

Fragrance-free, preservative-free, non-irritating

Aquaphor is the stuff. Pricey stuff but well worth it. And, unlike most lotions, you can turn a doorknob within a couple minutes of applying it.

A few other things I keep handy:

Triple Antibiotic ointment

Anti-Itch cream (topical Benadryll)

Use GermX or the alcohol-based germ killer of choice to prevent those little cracks from getting infected and painful.

NuSkin, just in case.

And...

Stay hydrated.

Limit red meat intake to 1-2 servings per week (dietician servings, not steakhouse servings).

Mind gluton intake.

I've fought eczema all my life, my fingertips get so dry they look like yo mamma's heels. There seems to be a correlation between going from dry to cracked that is directly related to certain foods. I suggest that if you have a diet heavy in red meat and bread that you go without for a couple weeks and see if your skin improves.

- Matt W.

Archived