Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String thru bridge or body - any noticable differnce?

SteveC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the non thru the body option because it allows easier and more accurate intonation on the low E string.

Please explain your thoughts on this.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Not regarding any (perceived) sound or playability issues, I have tested both options on the same bass in relation to string/bridge screw/spring rattle.

I had a low action setup on my bass bridge (low saddles) and I got rattles. I simply used the string-through option (it's good to have it!) and ... rattle gone.

I have never needed to buy the longer strings for a string-thru bass. The normal long scale (34") work just fine. The extra length necessary, is only about 1/2". I still have to trim off 3-4 inches.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

i have a warrior 5 string that you can string through the body or not and there is definitely a difference. If you can't tell if there is any, then it really doesn't matter in your particular instance.

it is obvious to me that there is bit tighter tension when stringing through the body. i think this changes the feel and less slightly the sound. i prefer the little bit of extra tension as it also helps transmit vibration through the neck and into the body. as far as sustain, you get a touch more sustain because the whole axe is actively vibrating but this axe has so much sustain anyway i don't use it in a typical blues format. for that i usually go to a fender or music man.

if you are talking about a bass that is not finely crafted however, your results may be different. my axe is a very expensive boutique bass and has response (not talking about tone here) well beyond a typical store bought axe.

i hope this clears this issue up for those who are still not sure if there is actually a difference.

B

Archived