Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A funny thing happened when I got home from the music store

thabottomend

Friday, during what I will jokingly refer to as "The Blizzard of 2010", I was able to leave work early. I took advantage of the opportunity to do some errands. Went to the music store where I do most of my business and bought a set of DR High Beams. Had a little more running around to do and all day Saturday was taken up with dress shopping for my daughter's upcoming Military Ball. (Yes, the dress is for her, not me, you wise guys!) So, Saturday night around 10:00, I sit down to restring my bass. I pull out the E (.105) after taking the E off my bass, put it on, and tune and stretch it a little. On to the A.... but wait! What's this?

Apparently I have bought the only package of DR strings to ever be packed with 4 E (.105) strings. I looked at the strings themselves to make sure that the packages weren't mislabeled. They were all the stame string. I'm sure the music store will let me exchange them, but I'm wondering if I should keep them as a collector's item. :)

Anybody else ever have this kind of surprise?

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a similar issue a couple years back with D'Addario.

I bought a set of XL's for my five-string, and when I unpacked it the b string was missing.

I contacted D'Addario customer service and was surprised to get an immediate response. They shipped me the missing b string, plus another full set for my troubles.

Now THAT'S customer service.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

It's true, though.

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/media/repair%20descriptions/bone%20nuts%20and%20saddles/rick%20bass%20repair%20nut/1.2%20Rickenbacker%204001%20filling%20nut%20slot.jpg

Push the button Frank.

I once busted a nut because my G string was too tight.

OK............ that just ended the thread. No way to top that. Especially since he has pictures.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

Update: Just got home again from the music store. They were as amused as I was and happily replaced the set of strings. Kudos to Concert Productions in Murfreesboro. No hassle and a lot of laughs.

Ken - I told them your story. They want to use it as a sales pitch.

Archived