Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT:USO Tours and Tribute Bands

Bottom End

I know the tribute band topic came up before, but I can't find it using the forums terrible search feature.

On Monday there was an AC/DC tribute band coming through our little slice of heaven as part of a USO tour. It was two of the best hours I've ever had at a live show, period.

The band, ThundHerStruck, totally rocked, and I and the rest of the audience had no problems with an all female band playing AC/DC songs. The band knew their stuff, played hard, loud, and well, showed zero atitude, and were really friendly to everyone before and after the show. They even played two Zep songs. I've paid $5 covers to see bar bands with less talent, and more money for headliners demonstrating less enthusiasm and showmanship.

In seeing this band, the first tribute band I'd ever seen, I had an epiphany:

Mozart is dead, but people still pay good money to hear his music performed well by talented musicians; why is a rock tribute act seen any differently?

AC/DC is not going to add Iraq to its next world tour, and Zep is gone, this is about as close as we are going to get to hearing a really good live performance "Back in Black" or "Good Times, Bad Times".

As for USO tours, anyone done one?

To me it seems like a good way for a good, motivated up and coming band to build a fan base and get some good word of mouth. There were at least 400 people in the audience for the show; play well and that many more people are going to recommend you to their friends. You'd be hard pressed to

I don't know the details of compensation etc, but I'm told the money is not bad.

For any of you who have done a USO show, thanks.

We are starved for entertainment and an event that makes one day stand out from all the other days that fade one into another.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, it crosses over into schlocky when they dress up in wigs and get-ups to recreate the "sights, sounds and smells" of the band. They usually fail miserably in that regard.
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

As for USO tours, anyone done one?

For any of you who have done a USO show, thanks.

No, but the band I shared a stage with a couple of weeks ago, X-IT, was on the USO circuit for quite some time. Nice guys, and they donated their time and part of their merchandise sales at the venue for the charity. They were solid, especially considering they had a new drummer.

Ever come across them?

This is OT vis-à-vis the USO, but last November I did see the Fab Faux play the entire Beatles White album -- including Revolution 9. With live musicians (as well as tape effects, sound loops, etc., just like the original). Honest. Will Lee conducted it from some kind of score.

Anyway, what an incredible show. They're the ultimate Beatles tribute band.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

What's a USO show ?

I've seen quite a bit of tribute bands, some really cool and some really not so cool. But for me, the notion of a "tribute" band does include a minimum effort to look and sound the part.

I've seen an Iron Maiden tribute band where the bassist looked and acted like Steve Harris, but despite playing the same lines, did not come across as being Steve Harris. Bit of a let down. The singer looked nothing like Bruce Dickinson, and was a way superior singer. They rocked. I've seen a Rammstein tribute band that were "meh" musically but they had the stage props (including fireworks) so they rocked too. An AC/DC tribute band who sounded exactly like the real thing, looked the part AND had cannons fired during "For Those About To Rock". Excellent :thu:

Then I saw this Foo Fighters "tribute band" (no, not Seamy's) where the singer looked ANd sounded like the guy from Papa Roach, they all played Ibanez basses and had a chick doing backing vocals (cos she dates the drummer or something). Sorry, that's not a tribute band, that's a cover band with an exclusive repertoire. IMHO.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Years ago, my old band played with a... wait for it........

Creed tribute band.

No lie.

Nobody in the band even remotely resembled anyone from Creed. The singer sounded nothing like Scott Stapp. The only thing they had in common with Creed is the fact that they played Creed songs and sucked.

On the plus side, we sounded amazing compared to them. On the minus side... well... they were who they were, and they did what they did. Awful.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The best part was the drum set--the guy had maybe 15-20 cymbals, two kick drums and maybe six toms, all mounted on one of those idiotic rack things.... and he kept time like someone who was getting tazered for resisting arrest.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Unkempt time is a dangerous thing. Unkempt time of a tazeric nature is an even more dangerous thing. I'm amazed you made it out of there with some semblance of sanity and the ability to get up and live life the next day.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeah S-Dubbs, you'd think they'd at least be able to play those crappy Creed songs as well/badly as Creed, but, alas, no. Sad, indeed. Lucky for me, I had a good book and a warm van in which to read it at the time, so I sat through three songs and said to myself, "This is more painful than self-trephination with a rusty spoon. Let's go read that book in your backpack."

So I did.

And, no, Maury, my friend--he didn't even have one of those lousy PRS guitars--he had some sort of Ibanez that looked nothing like a PRS. Basically, the whole band failed on every single level.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Archived