Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Pawnshop blues

Eric Iverson

I was just pointing out that trends and fashion determine value to the vast majority of people, players included. If (as me and my buddies try to do) you're a little ahead of the curve as far as what people decide is cool you can get some bargains.

The past couple of years all the younger players I know have been clamoring for "old Fender amps." They usually end up with silverface twins, regardless of the style they play, but they all complained "man, I NEED an old Fender amp, but they're getting expensive..." and I'd tell them "find an old Music Man amp and you'll be just as good off for a lot cheaper." They'd scoff that "those aren't all tube circuitry" and I'd point out that was a silly concern with all of the digital effects they use in line, anyway. It's just a fashion thing rather than a utilitarian thing... but I guess that's how money courses through the population.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Act, (Boo - Hiss, I can hear it already), quietly advertises a model called the ME-478. It comes in a variety of colors with a few slightly different bodies and pickguards, all with two "patent pending high-output humbuckers". That is all they will say about them.

The unit is on Amazon for $179.99, but can be had much cheaper. It is rumored that Kent Armstrong designed these pickups. I bought one from a pawn shop two months ago for $50 and the buckers were indeed high output, and kind of neat looking. So I put them into one of the guitars I build for fun. Recently I found another in a pawn shop in great shape for $40, black with ugly skulls down the middle, so I grabbed it. Long time player friend of mine borrowed it last night and did not bring it back today, wants to buy it for the sound. I'll probably give it to him for $50, since he is a friend, but that strange and wonderful stuff is out there. This is a guitar you could do one gig and do the Jimi Hendrix burn trick if you desired. It's a basswood body, but surprisingly, the neck is a shallow C shape, unvarnished, very fast. Hardtail bridge. First Act apparently has tiers of units. Walmart tier, Amazon tier, Custom shop tier. If you look at their Custom Shop Stella model,(About $1000), it has the very same bucker, just covered with a chrome ring around the edge.

Want a custom guitars for prices you can afford? Check out www.tsunamiguitars.com

I love the cheapo Epiphone Les Paul and SG juniors... a piece of plywood with a cheap P90 screwed into it. Just fun... I bought a bunch and used when I broke my Gibsons, and I started noticing a lot of touring bands with record deals and otherwise pricey gear would play them, too. Just some nuts and bolts magic... for $50 used, sometimes with a practice amp included.

Aren't crappy, hard to play/intonate guitars a teenage rite of passage?

I know kids at a local church I (used to)play at often turn up with one. They actually think they sound good, which I guess I did at that age, too.

+1 :rawk::thu:

Take care, Larryz

I've always had an aversion to paying top dollar for any guitar, as I like to believe I can turn a profit on an item if I "buy it right". Most of my high-end stuff was purchased decades ago, and would certainly bring many times what I paid. My Godins have not appreciated in value, but they make up for it in quality, playability, tone, and ergonomics. I'm actually contemplating selling my 80's US Strat to finance a different guitar. It plays fine, but sounds thin and weak compared to my Godin Freeways or Godin Artisan TC. I recently played a gig where that Strat ended up being the backup axe to one of the Freeways. I'd play a song or 2, and reach for the Freeway again, even for the Jimi stuff.

Not to stray from the topic, I have bought a Travis Bean (serial #125) for $90.00 and a cobbled-up parts guitar with a Lacido(Godin) ebony board neck, flame top Strat-style with HB's for $175.00, and needed another C-note worth of tweaking. Both guitars shed their novelty and were turned for a profit. I bought a Warmouth Strat with an ebony board and Fender Noiseless pups(which now reside in the 80's Strat) for $200.00 - it plays like a dream, and now has active Red Dots I had laying around in a loaded pickguard that scream and distort on their own - it's a keeper. My US ESP Strat with EMG's, ebony board, and an actually stable Floyd set me back $400.00, and the neck smokes any Fender I've ever played. Strangely, all 4 of these came from music stores: the staff didn't know what the Bean was, and the others prolly just sat around too long - the ESP's hot pink finish likely anchoring it in the shop a while. Point is: there are deals out there. I do agree that most pawn shops have mostly overpriced junk, but the one I just freed my 4 lovelies from had a couple US Strats on the wall, and a Pedulla bass was there a while back, all competitively priced. When I start looking at $500.00 fx units, I stop and think: "wait a sec - I can buy another guitar for that"! Yes - it's a sickness!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I just landed one of those Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sparkle Korean units in VG, (not mint) condition for $259 from a local dealer who had it for four months because of the crazy blue sparkle cap. 2010 book says $325. It even had the original jade key tuners on it, although they do suck. Polished up beautifully. Sounds wonderful. Built in June of 2000, number 249, one of the last that they built since they discontinued it in 2000.

Under the category of "The guitar in the attic", while I was purchasing this, a fellow walked into the shop with an Ibanez bass, a Tascam four channel cassette mixer, and a Danelectro Fabtone pedal. Apparently he was at a flea market and a dealer had an old car for sale. While thinking of buying the car, he noticed the Ibanez case in the trunk. He asked the guy how much for the junk in the trunk. Guy said $20 - he bought it. Maybe $250 worth of stuff. I never get those deals...

Want a custom guitars for prices you can afford? Check out www.tsunamiguitars.com

Archived