Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1-4-5 songs

RobRose

So the band was goofing around in rehearsal today and the drummer started playing the drum part for "Hot Hot Hot", a song I detest. Bass player chimes in with his part, so I start playing the 1-4-5 chord progression and start to sing bits of:

First Cut is the Deepest

D'yer Mak'er

Fool in the Rain

Twist and Shout

Hang on Sloopy

Wild Thing

...everything but Hot Hot Hot.

Anyway it was a blast and caused a certain fun frustration for the folks watching the rehearsal. We thought we'd try it in performance. Now I'm looking for songs that stick to the 1-4-5 progression in the same timing (more or less 2 beats per chord of 1-4-5-4 and repeat).

Any song suggestions?

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea, Rob! My brain's stuck on songs already mentioned here so far, though- damned if I can think of any others right now... !!

If yer gonna do a "Louie, Louie" segment, lean heavily on the reggae-inflected version that Toots & the Maytals did on the album Funky Kingston- it'll keep within your I-IV-V-IV framework while allowing a cool rhythmic and stylistic shift which will add further interest, and score points with those hipper members of the audience.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, however: I meant songs that follow the same 1-4-5-4 pattern and more or less the same timing as "Hot Hot Hot" rather than songs with simply the 1, the 4, and the 5 in them. My fault for not being clearer.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

Archived